Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2024, 08:58   #91

Boat: Parkstone Bay 21
Re: Docking long keel/heavy displacement yachts.

Even with our 21ft 2.1/4 ton disp MB, we (a couple, both over 70 years), ALWAYS use a spring. It takes very little time to get the length right, with the boat in the berth. Never use your berthing spring for anything else. The exact layout, which is the "fixed" end and which is the "floating" end, will depend on your particular circumstances, but Management finds a short (3ft) boathook is really useful to extend her reach. And of course, once you're hooked on, you may motor against the spring with "opposite" wheel until you run out of fuel.
parkstone bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 08:59   #92
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

I have a heavy displacement full keeler as well and found that for me, speed is not a good idea... slowly does it.. short bursts of forward or stern thrusts with the engine is all that's needed.
always maintain forward motion until you are lined up with entering your "pen", then if need be, a short reverse thrust, bearing in mind that your prop could throw out your intended maneuver... so the least engine used is better.... place a forward and aft mooring line more or less in the middle of the deck where you will be stepping off onto the dock... Have a crew member ready to pick these lines up and jump out onto said dock, (obviously each end are attached) and he/she will be able to control the boat until you can help as well...It is also most helpful if you are mooring up into the prevailing wind, whatever that is in your area....
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 09:48   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
Generally is it much, much easier to dock bow in first. I do not know why others in your marina go stern first, but that might be for easy of access once the boat has docked.
There are NUMEROUS reasons why a boat might dock stern first. As an example, my older C&C is one hell of a prop walker to starboard. I prefer that my ship be easily turned AWAY from the boat that shares the adjacent finger.

The prevailing wind at my dock blows along my finger and crossways to the dock. I prefer to "Hang" on my prop and let the wind straighten me out rather than fight a bow that constantly wants to be pushed off by the headwind.

Thirdly, I have a pretty big overhang coming in bow first, meaning that my anchor would be hanging over the dock and, therefore a hazard to people walking along it. Coming in stern first, that bowsprit and anchor is hanging out over the water. Yeah yeah, get a longer dock or dock with my stern further out... not happening for various reasons, none of which I have control over.

Essentially, to the OP, don't be concerned about whether you're bow in or bow out. Dock it the way that makes the most sense for your situation.

etc. etc. etc. etc.
CyKlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 10:12   #94

Boat: Catalina 30

[QUOTE=HankOnthewater;3887851]Generally is it much, much easier to dock bow in first. I do not know why others in your marina go stern first, but that might be for easy of access once the boat has docked.

I believe some people like docking stern first as it makes it easier to take the boat out of the slip (More control in forward - No prop walk -just drive out).

Backing into the slip is easier if you can just get enough SPEED to have sufficient water flowing over the rudder to obtain controllable steerage. (A running start...)

You can also safely enter the slip a lot FASTER in reverse than bow first as the "brakes" now become the engine going in forward which has a hulluva lot more thrust (stopping power) than the when the engine is operated in reverse (and also less prop walk..)

My two cents

Cheers.
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 10:54   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I was a bit embarrassed when I looked at all the other boats and they were docked bow first. I mentioned that to my Son and he pointed across to Marina Finger C where almost all the boats had docked stern first

If everyone does their own thing should I dock bow first or stern first? Which would be easier? (or both difficult?)
Could it be that the prevailing wind is having an effect on the orientation of the boats on your pontoon and the one opposite?

Next time you try to dock (Much as I dislike using that word as a verb. In this part of the world it's a noun ), take a look at the wind direction, and bear in mind that boats tend to weathercock into the wind, If you go slowly astern into the wind your bow will stay downwind, whereas, if you go slowly forward slightly off the wind, your bow will be blown sideways and the only way to maintain a course would be to have been going at a much higher speed, not a good practice in a marina

IMHO, if you are in a situation where the wind is coming from the direction of the pontoon, the best way to approach your berth would be to do so astern, but at an angle such that you are proceeding directly downwind, curving in towards your finger as you get close. If the wind is coming directly across the pontoon your bow should end up parallel to it Have as much way on as you dare, but with plenty of fenders deployed, and a crew member stationed amidships with a warp with a loop on the end, and held out on a boathook, ready to drop over the first cleat (or lasso it, if he learns the technique reliably) , the other end should be in his hand after being turned once around the amidships cleat. He can surge this to rapidly decelerate the boat, but without it being a sudden shock stop.
If the wind is blowing you towards the pontoon, bow first is the way to go, but make allowances for any angle.
it would help if you can go out in your boat and find some moored object with to practice, like a floating pontoon fishing trawler etc., Do'nt forget to use plenty of fenders

Forgive me if I am teaching how to suck eggs, and please bear in mind that my experience is purely in fin keel boats, (I'm not a masochist )
SpiritofGlenans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 13:17   #96

Boat: Rival 34

This is how I dock my recalcitrant old boat single handed: Rig up a line when the boat is at your dock. The line runs from a midship cleat to a dock cleat near the stern of the boat. If you don’t have a midship cleat fit one or get a detachable one which fits on your jib sheet track. Do this for port and starboard. The line is set up like this: one end is unmodified with just a common whipping. At the other end is a very large bowline. The bowline is held in an open loop by a length of plastic hose through which you had previously threaded the line. Then thread the line around a long rubber snubber so that when the strain goes in the line the snubber takes a lot of the strain. The line is nylon because that has more stretch. Once you have made up the line put a length of fabric in the lay of the rope just behind the midships cleat. Now you can set up the line exactly each time to dock. As you come in to dock you have previously put the line on the midship cleat. The rest of the line goes outside everything then back on deck near the cockpit. You have a long boat hook tied to the bowline. You come in dead slow and hook the bowline over the dock cleat by reaching out with the boat hook. The line and snubber take the strain and the boat comes to a stop. Engage gear dead slow forward. The line holds the boat to the dock. Make fast the tiller and step ashore to make fast other lines.
Jeffrey1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 13:21   #97

I had a full keel sailboat and went through the same mind games and research re thrusters etc. I never ended up investing in any of that and am glad I didn't. You will improve. A few considerations:
-Are you in particularly difficult slip? if so, maybe you can transfer
-Best advice i know is GO SLOW.
-Practice. And with friends with a fender on a rope for when you broadside the $900,000 Viking Sportfisher
-Find out how much steering is possible in reverse. The most common technique is start in Neutral, turn the rudder hard over. All the way. Put her in reverse, Goose the engine rpm's, go back to idle, and put in neutral and see how the boat behaves.
-Hire an expert, a real one for a few hours and go out on the water, steepen that learning curve.
Good Luck!
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 14:43   #98

Boat: Custom William Hand Ketch 36

Hi

The above comments I would repeat and here’s a little more from experience:

Practice practice. Practice landing on a bouy or fender w a full bucket tied under it. It will stay still .

The spring line warrants a lot of study. I have seen big schooners moor and unmoor alongside docks both under power and under sail. It’s a magical thing to see.

A spring line properly figured out will allow you to get off a wind bound dock as well. In this case it has to pull through and make sure the line does not end up wrapped in the prop! But you must practice , as in a tough situation your first attempt may not succeed!

I have midship pad eyes for backstay blocks on my gaffer. I run a climbers web, very very strong , through the pad eye or a cleat then feed the spring line through it and back to a cleat or winch by the helm.

On approach Get the spring over a big dock cleat or bollard ( easier w somebody ashore if they know your procedure) then you can easily adjust how far and when you want to move ahead .
Go slow , you will not easily stop a heavy vessel and as above , a big shot of reverse may put the stern in the wrong place.

A little juice on the motor and winching / cleating against the spring will magically hold her in place .easy to write, much practice needed.

If the circumstances are favorable w wind ahead you can back a big boat
Alongside by standing way out , 200 yds then get up
Enough speed in reverse so she will steer and guide her in well fendered
Then a big shot of fwd gear will stop her in addition to a spring line .

A thruster will take practice training too as in a nerve wracking situation you must choose port or starboard correctly and instantly .

Finally in some circumstances you can sail alongside a dock w luffing and scandalizing the sails like a sailing dinghy.
Good luck.
Elcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 15:49   #99

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
Bow first is usually easier. Then again, getting on and off the bow of some boats is either a PITA or just not possible at all.

And sometimes, docking direction is a matter of prevailing wind and/or currents, prop walk, etc... and folks on that other dock may have slightly different conditions from your dock.

Prop walk can be your friend; work out how to use it to your advantage. Sometimes that may influence your choice of bow in or stern in.

Spring lines are your friend. Especially if you have at least one crew to work that better. And at your home dock at least, pre-set lines can make it even easier.

And then practice is a big part of it. Recommendation: every time you return to your marina, dock 5 times. Assess what went good/bad each time, do it over again. Your skill can usually override long keel/heavy displacement.

If you decide you need a thruster, a real one will usually serve you better than some kind of rinky-dink contraption. This is one where it's usually better to bite the bullet and pay the freight.

-Chris
Not sure how you would use a springline when trying to dock a boat stern first. Leaving the dock is another matter altogether.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 15:55   #100

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Not sure how you would use a springline when trying to dock a boat stern first. Leaving the dock is another matter altogether.
You back in, add the spring line, then power forward against it to pull the boat against the dock and give you time to get the rest of the lines secured.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 17:15   #101

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
It'll get better with practice. Trust me: it's all about knowing what to do, and just how much of it to do, and when to do it.
And learning to use spring lines.
Just keep practising.
Benz is right. Just like when you started driving a car you did not know how to handle it. With time you did. Full keel heavy displacment boats are not hard to dock, you just have to know what she is going to do and be aware of the wind and current. Spend some time practicing and soon you will have it down. Slowly should be your byword. Get to know how she walks in reverse and how much short bursts of power against the rudder moves the stern without moving the boat too much. Pracrtice.

Folks have been parking long keeled boats for many years, it is not something new.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 18:17   #102

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Look at some of the docking videos from the Maryland School of Sailing. They are docking a long kneel Island Packet by backing in. Turn the wheel to hard right then don’t touch it. Using prop walk and forward thrusts, you can control and back surprising well.

My boat is a 3/4 kneel with a mind of its own in backing but with practice and using warps/spring lines, we are able to manage most any situation including moderate wind and current - with no bow thruster. I actually prefer backing.

I also thought it was hopeless but practice and understanding how the boat behaves with the rudder in different positions changed my attitude. I still am nervous in a tight marina with wind but we always seem to manage without embarrassment (most times)

Good luck and practice
rmbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2024, 06:11   #103

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

Practice, practice, practice…You’ll get it. Everyone from the Amel community seems to be sure you can’t control them going astern. I backed mine about 70m down a very narrow fairway in a light crosswind and had no problem. Figuring out how fast, but not too, to go in reverse to get steerage takes lots of trial and error practice.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2024, 12:22   #104

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

While the slip is bow conducive I agree
I have a 44 ft 55,000 lb steel cutter And I ALWAYS back in. I’m seated aft so I can see what I’m doing far better
Even if you dock bow first yeah still gotta back out
That said you have to l arm your prop walk. If I turn the wheel Full starboard I back straight
Remember it’s a boat not a car.
Old 13-04-2024, 15:48   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
This is Helen in her pen with her bow half way across the floating marina finger. She sits alongside with two fenders. (I can only tie up on the Port side.)
Hi Coopec.

any chance of a picture from bow on? If I understand your berth, you have no cleats or access to anything solid on the starboard side, correct?

If you run a spring from that pole on the starboard bow, to aft* or forward midships strbd cleat and spring one line from the fore midships port cleat to aft port pole. You would a/ spring the stem off the forward dock, and ease pressure on your finger dock. Then I would run a spring from port aft cleat to that forward midships finger cleat. This should spring you port+starboard in and out regardless of the wind.You would still need a regular stern line on the port aft pole, and maybe need to play around with the tension on that starboard spring because the angle is far from ideal, but it will spring you off the pole to midships port line keeping you off those fenders. Play with it.... Your bow lines will control how far out your stern lays.(as will the two opposing springs). going out you can drop the starbd spring and stbd bowline to pick up with the port bow line on return. Fun fun fun! pretty boat!
Seacod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
displacement, dock, Docking, keel, men, yacht