Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2022, 10:38   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Dodger Fabric

I need to replace my dodger. The existing dodger is made from a material that has a vinyl like outer surface and an inner surface that feels like canvas. Does anyone know what this might be?

I've gotten a few swatches from Sailrite of the fabric they recommend and it's not like this at all - seem very plastic and not as thick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dodger Fabric 1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	267724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dodger Fabric 2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	267725  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dodger2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	267726  
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2022, 10:52   #2

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Dodger Fabric

Seamark is the Sunbrella made fabric with vinyl on one side [we put that side to the interior...]

Here is our complete materials list [which includes our reasoning and links to chosen products] for our dodger/bimini rebuild project if either are of interest.

Best wishes with your project.

Cheers! Bill
Old 20-11-2022, 13:01   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Dodger Fabric

Hi, dmksails,

From the picture, it looks like what we call marine hooding, here. It is a polyester fabric (not acrylic, like Sunbrella), impregnated with PVC, and designed for harsh UV conditions. It would not surprise me if Sailrite would have a recommendation for your area, as it tends to be quite moist in the PNW, and I would think most fabrics would try to grow mold or algae. Ask other people in Pt. Townsend, where you are. Friends of ours from Seattle have a plain Sunbrella dodger on their boat, so maybe that would work for you.

You could discuss the issue with a couple of different canvas shops. It might be best to go with an all PVC product, for the ease of wiping it down with vinegar or bleach water on the inside.

We have marine hooding, and it is due for another wash with Napisan, an oxygen based disinfectant available here, to get rid of the green stuff. It is a seasonal job, after the longest spell of rains.

Ann

Tags
dodger, fabric