Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2022, 11:57   #46

Re: Does a chemical exist which will dissolve masking tape but not paint?

Goo gone, orange solvent.
starshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 12:04   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenega View Post
3-m Adhesive Remover will work and not do damage to paint or varnish. Used all the time in marine industry
Yes, 3M works well. Spray to saturate old tape. Then saturate a rag and rub and also scrape with plastic tool.
Eric Carnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 12:15   #48

Boat: Bayliner 4588

I think if you soak some towels with water and lay them on the tape for maybe a day or 2, it will soften the tape and you will be able to get it off. Keep the towels soaking wet.
Georgiamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 12:36   #49

Boat: Looking

When I was a defense contractor I needed a specific radio to do some software testing. There was only one on the base that wasn't already spoken for, but somebody had accidentally mislabeled it as sensitive cryptographic equipment. Removing that classification so I could take the radio out of the secure area required (among many other things) removing a sticker that was designed to be impossible to remove.

A heat gun made things MUCH easier. Also recommend getting the thinnest scraper you can that won't damage the underlying material. I was working on a metal housing so I used a razor blade, maybe you could use an old credit card with the edge filed down to be knife-like? Then a little WD-40 or similar mild solvent to clean up the sticky residue left behind.

It's slow, painstaking work, but you can get pretty much any kind of sticker/tape off that way.
GoodShipLolipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 20:36   #50

Boat: Southern Cross (Sonata 7) 23ft (7mtrs)

Water softens it and may allow you to then scrape it off. Mineral Turpentine also works brilliant
Learning Curve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 10:41   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
try this...

Methyl ethyl ketone ...also known as MEK.....

wear gloves....most hardware stores carry it....
MEK goes after most anything fast... wont it go after the paint?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2022, 16:14   #52

Boat: 36’ Vindo 50 Sloop

Burford's makes a great adhesive remover. I used it for years doing auto recon. It's called C61. Auto paint and supply stores should carry it.
dingfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2022, 23:40   #53

Does a chemical exist which will dissolve masking tape but not paint?

I had the same problem. I used green tape instead of blue last anti foul. That green stuff sticks like sh!t to a blanket! I tried goo off, which is mostly acetone so you might as well use acetone, but it just spread the sh!t all over the place. Then I tried this stuff. De-solv-It. It’s citrus based like 3m but cheaper. Spray it on, let it soak for a few minutes and then wipe it off with your wife’s panty hose. (Remove them from your wife first. With her consent of course)
If you have stubborn bits, I light rub with a nylon pot scrubber helps. Seriously this stuff will take the hide off a roo, skid marks off your undies and sh!t off blankets. Don’t ask me how I know, just buy it!
Ssas5342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 19:51   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyjon View Post
GooGon will work, any hardware of big box store has it.
I second this, and it smells better than MEK, diesel, or the other suggestions. I've used it for almost every kind of adhesive. Love it.
Mapoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 08:36   #55

Boat: O'Day 26

sona111, you mention that you used some "old" blue masking tape and it was this tape that caused the problem. Usually when one encounters a problem removing blue painter's tape it is when the tape has been left on the surface for an extended period of time as opposed to the age of the tape itself. You have probably already determined that products such as Goo-Gone, Goof Off, etc., will not touch the adhesive behind the deteriorating tape. I still say your best bet is a high temp. hair dryer, a stiff plastic scraper, along alcohol. It will be a time-consuming process irrespective of the procedure, but you will never make the mistake again! GOOD LUCK!
TideTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 09:40   #56

Boat: 40 Ocean trawler "Crew's Inn"

WD-40. Used many many times never damaged a surface
skipperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 18:49   #57

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

If you are contemplating using MEKP (Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide) PLEASE BE AWARE OF THE DANGER.

A case of methyl ethyl ketone peroxide poisoning and a review of complications and their management

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4521457/

There has to be many better/safer alternatives
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 19:18   #58

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

MEK=paint remover, burns exposed skin, bad for the environment

MEKP=polyester resin 'catalyst' (accelerator if you are being particular) and not so wonderful as mentioned above. The 'P' at the end is 'Peroxide'.

I have never have used MEK to kick resin, and have not used it in over 25 years as paint stripper.

I have never have used MEKP to strip paint. I still use it to kick polyester resin.
Old 21-04-2022, 05:40   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
If you are contemplating using MEKP (Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide) PLEASE BE AWARE OF THE DANGER.

A case of methyl ethyl ketone peroxide poisoning and a review of complications and their management

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4521457/

There has to be many better/safer alternatives
This is a long report loaded with lots of medical jargon. Reading it will drive home the point that MEK and MEKP are nasty toxic substances that one would never want to injest nor have on one's skin. They must be used with caution, and stored under good security. Would certainly not be good stuff to store aboard. It should really only be used if absolutely necessary. Of course MEKP is necessary for polyester resin work, but this is only in small quantity, so easily controlled.

Can't imagine why anyone would want to use MEK just to remove a bit of masking tape adhesive. There are much more benign materials such as WD40 and citrus oil cleaners as had been suggested. And I have seen no info on how long MEK persists in the environment and its effects on plants and creatures, but based upon the medical report, MEK fumes in the air and liquid spilled on land and in water would not be good.
Dieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 05:52   #60

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Excellent advice Dieseldude.

I believe it is illegal to send it though the Postal System in Australia. (Definitely pick-up)

Just Googled it!

This product is used to activate resin and is Dangerous goods Class 5.2. Hazchem 2WE M.E.K.P is Organic Peroxide and can not be sent using [Australia] Post.
https://surfblanksaustralia.com › products

Thanks.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, paint