Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2011, 17:19   #1

Boat: 28' Islander Sailboat "Gusto" and 1999 24' Larson Hampton "H2O HOG"
Drain to Bilge Clogged!!!

I've noticed more and more water accumulating and rolling out of the engine compartment of our Islander. Hubby is going to replace the water pump this weekend because that is part of the problem. My task is to find out why the water is coming onto the floor and not draining out to the bilge from the drain hole in front of the Atomic 4. When I take the stairs off to access the drain (engine area), the drain looks like it's clogged. When we bought the boat last year, the bilge was full of black motor oil. We think it was just overfilled - we have changed it and not had any problems with over 25 hours or so on the motor.
Should I just try to blow some water through with a hose or will that just make more of a mess? I'm on my way to the slip right now armed with a medal coat hanger and small drain brush on a 24" wire. Any ideas are welcome!
Old 15-04-2011, 17:31   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Drain to Bilge clogged!!!

Not sure if I understand the exact situation. Is the oil spill all over the bilge or just under the engine? If opening the clogged hole will allow oily residue into parts of the bilge that are clean DON'T DO IT! It will take hours and hours to clean and the bilge will never be quite the same again. Believe me, I know.

First clean the oily part, then open the hole.

If the oil has already spread everywhere then sure, poke a stick through the hole and clean it out.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 18:07   #3

Oil had already drained into bilge. You're right, it's been a project cleaning it out! But I think that is why I have the problem with the drain in the first place. Looks like the floor has been replaced recently too, maybe this water has been a problem for a while.
Old 15-04-2011, 18:32   #4

Boat: 32' Custom by John Howie

sawdust? and oil! thats a clog begging to happen.

feel free to argue this one folks:
I have used compressed air to clear may clogs, fuel lines, oil lines, household drains... apply air to opposite side of clog and let her rip! ( place a rag over the drain side to catch what ever gets spit out )
WoundedWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 18:37   #5

the 1st thing to check is whether the motor is still leaking oil. no amount of cleaning is going to change anything if it's still leaking oil. if it is not then wipe down affected areas with suitable rags and dispose. then spray bilge down with citrus cleaner and let sit for a while, (then scrub) toilet brush works great for this, and repeat until clean, then open hole and continue. simple green works to but has an unpleasant smell after compared to citrus. i cleaned with straight citrus then watered down as far up as i could reach and sprayer would shoot. bilge is nice and clean now, for 3 yrs.
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 18:38   #6

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

While I had a Volvo penta in my Islander, one thing I found was there was no drain connecting the area under the engine and the bilge area. There is a depression at the center front of the engine bedpan, with a hose that would make you think that it is drainage leading to the bilge, especially sin if you dig your hand aft under the back of the bilge, you can follow this hose back to the engine pan. But, this is actually the hose from the icebox that drains into the bilge. Ours would hold water in the engine pan (the fiber glassed area under the engine) until we sucked it out and cleaned it up. This was due to the drip that we had from our stuffing box. It usually needed to be done every week if we were constantly cruising and using the engine often. Now, all that said, your situation may be different if some PO put a real reefer in place of the icebox and re plumbed that engine pan, so check things out for your individual boat. (That "no way to the bilge" was the only thing I ever found to dislike on the Islander.)
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 18:42   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I use an electrician's "fishtape" to clear clogged limber holes (I believe that's what they're called). The fishtape needs a straight end, so snap off or straighten out any hooks.

You can also try a length of stainless wire rigging -- it will be flexible, but will also stand up to a push.

Anything you have at hand will work on a short limber hole.

Once you get the clog cleared, flush it and thoroughly wash the bilges. Stuff accumulates -- debris from construction or repairs, lint and random fluff, crud that comes in on the anchor chain, etc. It's a good idea to do the fresh-water flush occasionally, to see if there are any clogs and keep the drains clear.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 18:50   #8

That's exactly where I thought the drain was! So what you're saying is there is no drain? Hummm, looks like we will need to look at the snuffed box as well. What did you use to clean up the water?
Old 16-04-2011, 04:04   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Drain to Bilge Clogged!!!

Once cleared by “rodding” (/w coat hanger, fish tape, whatever), limber holes can be kept clear by installing a short length of small chain through hole. Every week or so, “saw” the chain back and forth, and remove debris from chain.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 05:34   #10

Sue, If your 28 is set up as ours was, what we did was use infant sized diapers to soak up the water and placed them in a plastic garbage bag for disposal. They suck up an increadable amount of liquid all by themselves! Invert them (business-side down) and wait a few.... then replace and repeat until most liquid is removed. Then a sponge can take care of the rest. I figured out the no limber hole issue when our engine pan area was full, but out bilge was the dryest ever seen. I used mirror-on -a-stick, and even pocked out the area unsuccessfully with a clotheshanger to confirm. Our "new" system worked for 6 yrs until we sold the boat.
Old 16-04-2011, 05:56   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

Don't use disposable diapers in your bilge.

If left in there too long they break down to a gooey mess.

Spend the money and use oil-zorbs
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 06:10   #12

Boat: contessa 32

Hi all: I carry only the minimal tools ,but a plumbing snake is one of them. Get the smallest you can find,mine came from the dollar store and cost exactly that; has other uses too,i.e. fishing wires through bulkheads and behind ceiling.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 06:12   #13

That is what we use also Paul, an 8 foot chunk of old rigging.

I don't uderstand how the oil is getting in the bilge. Is the area under the engine damned off? Often that area is isolated with a drain running through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
I use an electrician's "fishtape" to clear clogged limber holes (I believe that's what they're called). The fishtape needs a straight end, so snap off or straighten out any hooks.

You can also try a length of stainless wire rigging -- it will be flexible, but will also stand up to a push.

Anything you have at hand will work on a short limber hole.

Once you get the clog cleared, flush it and thoroughly wash the bilges. Stuff accumulates -- debris from construction or repairs, lint and random fluff, crud that comes in on the anchor chain, etc. It's a good idea to do the fresh-water flush occasionally, to see if there are any clogs and keep the drains clear.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 12:11   #14

Chief engineer, No offence, but I'm not sure where you read anything about leaving diapers in the bilge until they turn into a gooey mess. They absorb an incredible amount in just a few moments, and without turning gooey. Plus they are cheap for the job and readily available. I've used them without incident for over 35 years, and neither my kid's tushes, or my boat's bilges have ever suffered harm. I'm suggesting something because I was asked what I use. This is what I use and it works for me. Everyone else is free to find their own solutions.
Just to be clear Sue, I have never left baby diapers in my bilge. I have used them for years to soak up the water under the engine, which is not our bilge on an Islander 28. Nor do I endorse leaving them there to turn gooey or whatever. Wait a few till they soak up the liquid, then remove.
Old 18-04-2011, 11:34   #15

Just back from the boat and got the engine compartment draining like crazy! Love the diaper idea! we will definitely use that in the future! Thanks everyone, we used a little info from here and a little from there... It seems there is a drain from the engine (motor?) compartment to the bilge after all. The fiberglass pan under the engine has an approx. 1 inch hole in the front wall that drains to another hole on the floor where the slot for the stairs goes... WOW, is your head spinning from my description? sorry... I'll take a photo and post it if anyone is interested.
Anyhoo, there was so much gunk and debris that was blown out with the hose and the little wire drain snake from the Dollar Tree (LOVE that store!!!) that I can understand why it clogged! Now, hopefully, the new water pump will stop the leaking! If not, Snuffing Box - you're next!

Also, mjwarner, would love to know if there are any other little "nuggets of info" you can share with us about your 28?

Thanks again everyone!

Tags
bilge