Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 17:25   #31
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Dreams - make them good and make them big.

180 foot is big, but not that big (in ship size) - probably quite feasible to run (in some luxury, at least on the owner's decks) on $1/2 million a year.

How? Well, we are all familiar with the term OPB - there is also the term OPM......Other People's Money . Not talking about robbing a bank - but always folks with cash looking to invest in "stuff". In a former life I had a freind of a freind whose second cousin once met a man in a pub who knew about "stuff". 1/2 a mill is not an impossible figure for the right idea - and in principle no more difficult to obtain than a million. So may as well wrap the project around generating a million a year - just to cover expenses .

Buying (or building) the ship is the easy part, speccing it up and modifying will be the time consuming part - I appreciate that Anjou doesn't want to take on another build personally, but for something that would generate the income required would take her the next 50 years to DIY! - so will "only" need to project manage others. If willing to compromise a bit won't even need to pay for the bloody thing .

Given the fairly limited budget probably won't be able to keep a helicopter onboard, at least not 24/7 - but that sort of capacity is pretty much a requirement nowadays, turn up anywhere without one and folks will think you are a peasant . or worse - new money (even if you are, no need to look like it ).

The key is of course to ensure the vessel earns it's keep (as well as the core purpose of keeping Anjou in the style to which she would quickly become accustomed ) - a squillion ways to do that, but more on that tommorow..........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 17:34   #32
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

The key is of course to ensure the vessel earns it's keep (as well as the core purpose of keeping Anjou in the style to which she would quickly become accustomed ) - a squillion ways to do that, but more on that tommorow..........
Hmm... gotta disagree ... The core purpose is to help Anjou sleep at night as counting sheep is getting old. Reference: post 1.

Try to keep up to speed here and focus please.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 17:35   #33

Boat: <sold the 140' steel flybridge ketch & Hunter CC

I agree with wotname and would bet bottle of booze it is M/V Big Dreamship as:
1) No mention of sails and her barge history as wotname mentioned.
2) Looking @ couple ships in this range and the aluminum ships empty were in the 500 ton range. The steel ones were in the 700+ ton range.
She mentioned 1000 ton ticket. (even heavier)
3) Seems too heavy to be a sailing vessel in the 180' range even with steels hull hence must be a motor vessel.

seems like a good "educated" (from my brief sailing) guess while others will call it a SWAG!
(scientific wild as_ guess)

Johnny
Johnny Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 17:36   #34

Boat: too many

I was also thinking of Dashew, not big enough, well at least your dreams are big.

deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 17:40   #35

Boat: <sold the 140' steel flybridge ketch & Hunter CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
GordMay

Very informative post. 2 excellent articles you referenced.

Johnny
Johnny Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 17:47   #36
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cruiser View Post
I agree with wotname and would bet bottle of booze it is M/V Big Dreamship
My guess as well - but IMO no bad thing. Sometimes it is important to get places. and to move from some a bit of speed can be useful. No reason why cannot fit a sailing catamaran on the stern - something like an Outremer. if that in turn had a cat style RIB on the stern (and Anjou went for the Cat idea for the mothership) she would have created a Cat inside a Cat inside a Cat ...a change from the usual Birds (one for the Gourmets amongst ya!)
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 19:28   #37
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
My guess as well - but IMO no bad thing. Sometimes it is important to get places. and to move from some a bit of speed can be useful. No reason why cannot fit a sailing catamaran on the stern - something like an Outremer. if that in turn had a cat style RIB on the stern (and Anjou went for the Cat idea for the mothership) she would have created a Cat inside a Cat inside a Cat ...a change from the usual Birds (one for the Gourmets amongst ya!)

I believe around here they call that a Turducken, as in a turkey stuffed with a duck which is stuffed with a chicken.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 21:16   #38

Mind you, I have just finished reading Eric Newby's "The Last Grain Race" which featured the 4 masted bargue "Moshulu" (ex "Kurt").

Now here is a steel hulled sailing boat (no engine) at 320 ft with 47 ft beam, 5,300 tons d.w., 3,116 gross, 2,911 net. Definitely a RTWer, Cape Horner and pretty fast even if not a cat.

So lets not rule out sail unless Anjou doesn't all those sailors going aloft!

PS, I have heard that this vessel is now a restaurant somewhere in the eastern USA, anyone know more??
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 08-04-2012, 21:23   #39

Ok then, here is the ship for you. 499', medium speed diesels, berths for over 100. Just dress like a midshipman, walk from the campus down to the pier (short walk), slip the lines and off you go.
BTW, currents are stiff during tide shifts, plan on slack time.
Old 08-04-2012, 21:28   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Ok then, here is the ship for you. 499', medium speed diesels, berths for over 100. Just dress like a midshipman, walk from the campus down to the pier (short walk), slip the lines and off you go.
BTW, currents are stiff during tide shifts, plan on slack time.
Any guns on board?
Old 08-04-2012, 21:29   #41

No, merchant training vessel Golden Bear. CMA.
Old 08-04-2012, 21:50   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Come on, if I going to have a ship that big it ought to have one or two big guns. just for cruising around Somalia of course.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 22:02   #43

Dr Newt, I'm surprised. I thought you were a pacifist? I was lucky enough to train on that Golden Bear my senior year and the old steam turbine Golden Bear my freshman year that CMA had from the late 40's.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:17   #44

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

And so it shall be.

Ive summed up so far and feel the best option will be a steel cat, with big diesels and no sails. Room aboard for 60+ guests etc.

That leads on to a few new questions, apart from the obvious anchor one, you can think about that in the meantime............

Crew. Got to have some crew. Captain of course and his side kick, a first officer. Big diesels, aircon, gennys, water makers, etc all need looking after so thats a chief engineers job.

I sure dont wish to be tied to the galley all day, so theres an opening for a chef
I also dont want to be swabbing decks, doing dhobies or playing chamber maid, so I need a house keeper too.
Maybe a deckhand? Could polish brightwork and pipe guests aboard? Wait tables too?

Ok. 6 Crew seems modest but I dont want to blow the budget on staff wages.
I deffinately think some of the guys should be ex military and know how to handle trouble if it wants to board.
See, the problem with a nice ship like this here dreamboat is people will make assumptions and figure I got a bunch of money, and im sure they might want to rob me of it.

That brings me to the reality of protection. Ive taken advice and feel we would best defend ourselves with 1 x AK-100mm\70cal and 2 x 50mm chain gun hole punchers mounted on turrets.

Im realy pleased now. Its helping me sleep easier to know my dreams are taking shape but you gotta keep these ideas coming.

Now ive got to give some thoughts to the budget............
Old 09-04-2012, 07:32   #45

Might have to up the budget a bit for more galley staff. One chef and a part time waiter doesn't seem enough to keep 60+ guests fed and watered.

IT, comms, TV, medic, safety could all be rolled into one position.