Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2012, 00:38   #46

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Re: Dreams - make them good and make them big.

Ive had a few days to consolodate my plans and now ive got a fair idea of where I want to head with this dream.

Ive pretty much set my heart on a large steel cat with lots of cabins and deck space, spa tub and swimming pool, gym, home cinema/theatre room, dining/ball room/disco. Wedding/conference venue etc.

Time to start looking in earnest and then a trip to the bank and see what they can come up with.
Old 15-04-2012, 01:46   #47
Armchair Bucketeer

I think you are quite right to include form of commercial element in your planning .

Personally I would restrict your living quarters to the upper deck(s), can have all the luxury you want .....but elsewhere can be more functional (both to save costs and increase commercial options).

I am sure folk have heard the old saying that money to be made by being "in the right place at the right time" ....well, there is more money to be made by being "in the wrong place at the right time" .....on that note I would suggest a capacity to carry passengers (both 1st class and steerage class as well as some cargo capacity - could be a crossover between those two latter categories )....also being able to provide medical facilities onboard (or at least offload some, plus relief supplies) would make appearance in difficult places reasonable, even if not the primary purpose of the visit.........some people do like to leave places quickly, and with much luggage - some of which can be rather heavy. Some of these folks are willing to pay (in advance) for such an option to be maintained - even if as only a plan C, which is hoped never to be used.

Weapons wise, IMO very wise to have some ....apart from small arms I would suggest that rather than having anything permanently installed that instead you only add the capacity to do so by creating firing positions. Obviously a trade off on what firepower you can have but as you won't be tackling any navies head on (hopefully not anyway!) then IMO really only need range and a hail of firepower rather than purely destructive force. In most circumstances if you can launch a helicopter with simply a door gunner then that will deter most of those in the private sector. The idea is that weaponary can be loaded and unloaded depending on where you are in the world and the expected challenges- and with a helicopter pad can fly in stuff when safely offshore.

In practice if operating in more challenging waters then the most useful protection one can have is at least a "Nod and a wink" from officialdom, onshore and / or afloat (officialdom tends to be better armed - anyone else is fair game ). Plenty of money to be made in the "Nod and a wink" sector ....and if that occassionally moves a tad towards the more freemarket end of the spectrum, well that just how life is .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 01:59   #48

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Jeez Anjou you're nuts, and its infectious, now you've got me going.
Bigger than 80' I would say Steel Hull and Alum Supers. Controllable pitch props are a must. I would forgo bowthrusters, but have retractable Azipod thrusters. For high Lats, there are some serious design considerations. Overcooling of engine, interior storage of Gas, Generator waste heat piped through radiators, triple glasing, plenums....Why did you start me....?
Old 15-04-2012, 02:20   #49

Well said David. With the world being so turbulent and the prospects increasingly so, I see it as essential for survival to have the ability to defend ones self in the new wild west frontier, the lawless ocean.
Carrying arms is an imotive subject for most but there is always a way to get round red tape. You can either fight it, or become at one with it.
Diplomatic immunity has to be the way to go. Get diplomatic status from one or more countries and you are assured protection from and by what ever government you encounter.

We all dream of living the cruising lifestyle and still have the ability to generate an income. With a large enough working vessel, it can become a refuge to fleeing dictators who will pay a kings ransom for sanctuary in an emergency.

Simarly, there are always people looking for a freight carrier who doesnt pose too many questions .

I see various business opportunities in this.
Old 15-04-2012, 02:24   #50

As they say, there is a fine line between genius and madness.

The beauty of dreams is, you can make them as fancyfull as you wish, and dreams are free and its only by daring to dream that we escape the surly bonds of mortal earth and rise above our lowly existance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
Jeez Anjou you're nuts, and its infectious, now you've got me going.
Bigger than 80' I would say Steel Hull and Alum Supers. Controllable pitch props are a must. I would forgo bowthrusters, but have retractable Azipod thrusters. For high Lats, there are some serious design considerations. Overcooling of engine, interior storage of Gas, Generator waste heat piped through radiators, triple glasing, plenums....Why did you start me....?
Old 15-04-2012, 02:26   #51
Armchair Bucketeer

Although a Cat would not be my first choice - how about something along these lines:-

At 90 Metres (300 feet) a bit smaller than what I was originally envisaging - but good for 40 knots and operate as (ro ro) ferries locally, I beleive also Cross Channel as well as between North and South NZ (or at least did)....I recall that built in Oz and come to Europe on own bottom.....so despite being a multihull does have some all weather capability.

The car deck is large (I trust you were not thinking of simply walking around ashore ) and part could easily be modified to take crew / steerage class passengers. Would probably need some modifications elsewhere, especially to create a helicopter deck - but IMO doable.

Main downside is that being Aluminium that not tottally bullet proof - but nonetheless could add some armour (will likely be loaded less than she would be commercially).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 02:36   #52

Ah yes, thats definatley hitting the right spot. A big ocean going cat with commercial potential would provide a stable platform capable of adapting to several senarios.

I will have to crunch some numbers but I have a feeling its going to put me slightly beyond the $500 per month budget. In fact I would hazzard a guess it might be nearer $100,000 a month.......but what price does one put on ones dreams eh?
Dammit, we are only here once. Well I am, im going to the promised land after this tour cos ive been a good girl.
Old 15-04-2012, 03:46   #53

Boat: 33ft sloop

Huisman is the top of the bill and knows perfectly well to construct an aluminium yacht.

A pre-owned Huisman still costs a fortune and an investment well worth the trouble.

Aluminium is a good material but requires building integrity and knowledge. It cannot be done on the cheapo. Very few yards know how to do it ....... good.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 11:46   #54

Boat: Prout Snowgoose Elite

modern light armoured vehicles have alumunium armour. steel may stop small arms but composite is a better choice for 20mm+. Then you might find diplomatic is the only real defence against missiles and smart weapons.
Do you need an armourer on board. weapon and magazine maintance is vital for long term storage.
limejucer is offline   Reply With Quote