Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2024, 04:23   #16

Re: Drilling 5/8 holes in stainless.

If you are looking for someone local who may be able to help, we can highly recommend CE&A Co. Marine Engineering (5 Schenker Dr, Royal Park SA 5014); they are knowledgeable and honest. Sandy is the contact there should you wish to phone her +61 8 82400777. Before we left Adelaide they machined a new keyway in our rudder post - they were very responsive and reasonably priced.
Painted Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 04:27   #17

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Skies View Post
If you are looking for someone local who may be able to help, we can highly recommend CE&A Co. Marine Engineering (5 Schenker Dr, Royal Park SA 5014); they are knowledgeable and honest. Sandy is the contact there should you wish to phone her +61 8 82400777. Before we left Adelaide they machined a new keyway in our rudder post - they were very responsive and reasonably priced.
Hi guys. Yep, they are great, they just knocked out our new prop shaft.
Old 06-05-2024, 04:59   #18

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Hi all,

I need to drill holes in the new chainplates but I’m having trouble finding a 5/8 drill bit capable of the job.

Does anyone know of a vendor/manufacturer of something suitable?

Matt

Tell me where I am going wrong.
I did an online search and came up with.
What's the problem?

https://www.totaltools.com.au/4038-s...8?gad_source=1

Total Tools Seaford

49 Seaford Road
Seaford Meadows, 5169, South Australia
Phone: 0881840100
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 05:05   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Tell me where I am going wrong.
I did an online search and came up with.
What's the problem?

https://www.totaltools.com.au/4038-s...8?gad_source=1

Total Tools Seaford

49 Seaford Road
Seaford Meadows, 5169, South Australia
Phone: 0881840100
The problem is that a Google search does not equal a solution. That bit is NOT suitable for drilling stainless.
Old 06-05-2024, 05:09   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
To get nice holes in stainless you need either a hole punch or a hole cutter.
Drilling stainless requires a stainless or better bit, lots of cutting oil or water for cooling and a slow speed. Best to start with a small hole. If the drill bit gets hot it looses its' temper and goes dull fast. Otherwise take the stainless to a machine shop.

Cutter shown is about $9 on ebay. Didn't check AU ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16622181849...Bk9SR8y7tdnpYw
Yes, seems to be the smart move, also advocated by Wottie.
Old 06-05-2024, 05:14   #21

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
The problem is that a Google search does not equal a solution. That bit is NOT suitable for drilling stainless.

Why do you say that!!

Sutton HSS drills would certainly be suitable for drilling Stainless Steel.

SUTTON 1-13mm Metric HSS-TiAlN Jobber Drill Bit Set for ...

Total Tools
https://www.totaltools.com.au › 111109-sutton-1-13mm-...

SUTTON TOOLS® INOX Jobber Drill Bits are an industrial quality drilling solution specially designed for superior performance in stainless steel.

Maybe you should contact Mr Sutton and tell him he doesn't know what he is talking about.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 10:34   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Why do you say that!!

Sutton HSS drills would certainly be suitable for drilling Stainless Steel.

SUTTON 1-13mm Metric HSS-TiAlN Jobber Drill Bit Set for ...

Total Tools
https://www.totaltools.com.au › 111109-sutton-1-13mm-...

SUTTON TOOLS® INOX Jobber Drill Bits are an industrial quality drilling solution specially designed for superior performance in stainless steel.

Maybe you should contact Mr Sutton and tell him he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Mate, get it together. You just linked a totally different product.

Yes, the INOX series do work with stainless steel. I know because that’s what I use for the half inch holes. But they max out at 13 mm. I need 5/8th, close to 16 mm.

The first drill bit you linked was not from the INOX series. And it does not work with stainless. I know this because I have one.

Seriously, you just google stuff and think you are being clever, like the rest of us don’t know how to do it. You are not. You are actually demonstrating your lack of understanding and critical thinking.

So no, I don’t need to “contact Mr Sutton.” Keep your silly remarks to yourself. And your pointless google results.
Old 06-05-2024, 10:44   #23

Boat: Downeaster 38

Do you have access to a drill press?

Use cutting fluid and lot of pressure with slow speed. When pressure and speed are right you’ll be cutting long curly pieces of steel with the bit.

Little flakes instead of long curly pieces means too much speed and not enough pressure. You’ll keep smoking bits like that.
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 11:30   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
Do you have access to a drill press?

Use cutting fluid and lot of pressure with slow speed. When pressure and speed are right you’ll be cutting long curly pieces of steel with the bit.

Little flakes instead of long curly pieces means too much speed and not enough pressure. You’ll keep smoking bits like that.
I’ve got the press, it’s the drill bit that I asked about. So far there seem to be a few good options in the US but even if they would post to Australia I think the delay would be a problem.
Old 06-05-2024, 11:37   #25

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Ive drilled up to 1/2" using manual drill by balancing my entire body weight on the drill and slowly turning.

Basically for drilling stainless you need a lot of pressure on the bit, and to avoid overheating. Most drill press probably spin a bit fast, but consider using the lowest speed on the pulley, and with a variable frequency drive it might be possible to get a lower RPM.

If you cant get the speed slow enough, start and stop to ensure it never gets too hot.

The cobalt bits are also worthwhile but if you must use HSS, you might have to re-sharpen the bit several times to drill a single hole.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 11:51   #26

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
The first drill bit you linked was not from the INOX series. And it does not work with stainless. I know this because I have one.

I am surprised you had trouble. That is a HSS drill bit. It should be acceptable for drilling stainless steel.

Sounds like you're hiring out the work. But, if you really want cobalt drills, Grainger has them and would be happy to ship one to Australia via air freight. They only sell to businesses, so have any local shop place the order for you unless you already have an account with them.

https://www.grainger.com/product/CHI...ll-Bit-5-4ZP41
Old 06-05-2024, 11:56   #27

Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
I’ve got the press, it’s the drill bit that I asked about. So far there seem to be a few good options in the US but even if they would post to Australia I think the delay would be a problem.
Then go buy a few HSS or cobalt bits at the hardware store and start drilling. Theres no special bit for steel like glass or ceramic.

It’s just a matter of cutting fluid and correct pressure/ speed.
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 12:23   #28

You can't let the drill bit slip at all in stainless or it immediately work hardens the hole.

We used to process a lot of heavy stainless with big holes using a Cintimatic CNC machine. Figure out the chip size you want, say .030" then the rpm and drilling force needed to produce that chip through the material. We used to buy most of our bits through McMaster and as long as you keep them cutting rather than spinning they will last quite awhile.
flyingw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 14:56   #29

Boat: Volkscruiser

Gilow I am with Coopec 43, surely you have a shop like Trade Tools or Sydney Tools down your way a quick google shows they have a 1000 individual drill bits listed. The guys behind the counter know their stuff and can provide you with everything you need. My chain plates have similar size holes and it wasn't a problem.
The only issue I see is your going to need to clamp the chain plate when drilling.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 15:33   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Gilow I am with Coopec 43, surely you have a shop like Trade Tools or Sydney Tools down your way a quick google shows they have a 1000 individual drill bits listed. The guys behind the counter know their stuff and can provide you with everything you need. My chain plates have similar size holes and it wasn't a problem.
The only issue I see is your going to need to clamp the chain plate when drilling.
Cheers
Yes, of course we have those places. It was TT who supplied the half inch INOX bit off the shelf. Nobody had the 5/8th HSS on the shelf though, had to order it in. Easy enough. But it struggled immediately, and with eight chain plates to do I reckon I will ruin at least one or two bits. Hence I was hoping to find something better, something like the half inch INOX bit..

Seems they have them in the US, but not here in Oz. My local engineering supplies place, where I always go for odd stuff, couldn’t find anything in any of their trade catalogs either.

I gotta say, not sure why you and Coopec think I can’t use Google.