Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2024, 22:39   #61
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Drilling 5/8 holes in stainless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
They are 118, I just checked. Bordo’s Quicksilver range. Nice drills for everything else I’ve used them on. But my set maxes out at 13 mm and they don’t even come close to the performance of the Sutton INOX series drill bit I have in half inch.
OK, thanks for checking. IMO, this is the marketing hype I referred to earlier. IME, a spilt point on 118 degree is not really much advantage except for perhaps preventing some possible bit wandering in the hands of a novice.

But if it sells more product, I guess it is good for Bordo!.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 03:09   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

At ±82 HRC* [give or take], Tungsten Carbide is much harder than cobalt, or HSS [68 -70 HRC], and will last longer, and run much faster [tho’ still slowly] than its less wear and heat-resistant cousins.
This brittleness, along with cost, is carbide’s major Achilles’ heel.
Where cobalt will flex somewhat, in the face of radial cutting forces, carbide will, in many cases, shatter. This means that proper alignment is critical for tool life, and hole accuracy [which is true of any drilling operation].

* HRC = Hardness Rockwell Scale Cone
Larger numbers correspond to harder materials.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 03:33   #63

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
At ±82 HRC* [give or take], Tungsten Carbide is much harder than cobalt, or HSS [68 -70 HRC], and will last longer, and run much faster [tho’ still slowly] than its less wear and heat-resistant cousins.
This brittleness, along with cost, is carbide’s major Achilles’ heel.
Where cobalt will flex somewhat, in the face of radial cutting forces, carbide will, in many cases, shatter. This means that proper alignment is critical for tool life, and hole accuracy [which is true of any drilling operation].

* HRC = Hardness Rockwell Scale Cone
Larger numbers correspond to harder materials.
Masonry Drill Bits
https://www.totaltools.com.au › Accessories › Drill Bits
"Plus, our masonry drill bits are made from the strongest materials and feature a tungsten carbide tip for maximum cut-through power. Shop by Product Type".

Well I'm not surprised sharpened masonry drills cut through SS without a problem.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 04:22   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Masonry Drill Bits
https://www.totaltools.com.au › Accessories › Drill Bits
"Plus, our masonry drill bits are made from the strongest materials and feature a tungsten carbide tip for maximum cut-through power. Shop by Product Type".

Well I'm not surprised sharpened masonry drills cut through SS without a problem.
Yes, but only if they’re sharpened properly, if done correctly on a diamond disc you can drill through a file but as wisely pointed out upthread, brittleness can be a problem as can too much heat, the silver solder (cemented carbide insert) lets go and the inserts come adrift…. But bear in mind how cheap masonry drills are, just sharpen up another one.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 05:06   #65
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
HRC = Hardness Rockwell Scale Cone
Not to be a pain, but HRC means Hardness Rockwell "C" scale. There are 15 different scales used in Rockwell Hardness testing all designated by different letters. "C" scale and "B" scale are the two more commonly used scales you might run across. There are also 15 superficial scales designated by a number and letter with the number meaning the force used and the letter indicating the indenter used. For example 15N, meaning a 15 kgf load using a diamond indenter.

The "B" scale is used for softer metals such as copper alloys, soft steels etc...

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 05:15   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Yes, but only if they’re sharpened properly, if done correctly on a diamond disc you can drill through a file but as wisely pointed out upthread, brittleness can be a problem as can too much heat, the silver solder (cemented carbide insert) lets go and the inserts come adrift…. But bear in mind how cheap masonry drills are, just sharpen up another one.

Spot on!

As far as sharpening was concerned I didn't have to worry about that as my Brother-In-Law was a Heavy Diesel Fitter with Caterpillar and when they had to drill out a broken engine stud from a block they drilled them out with a sharpened masonry bit (of course the engine stud would have been hardened high tensile steel)

PS I am puzzled by people posting on this thread that you cannot drill SS with a HSS drill bit. Have they ever drilled SS before? (Maybe they don't know how to use Google?)

"High-Speed steel drill bits – This type of bits are specifically designed for drilling stainless steel. The best HSS drill bits to use for this application are those with a Titanium Nitride tip to help reduce friction and heat."

https://www.thyssenkrupp-materials.c...tainless-steel
Old 07-05-2024, 05:22   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj View Post
Not to be a pain, but HRC means Hardness Rockwell "C" scale...
dj
Indeed.
A Rockwell hardness tester consists of a penetrator, typically a round steel Ball, or diamond Cone) that is pressed into the surface of the material being tested, and a measuring device, that measures the depth of the indentation.
I've little knowledge of metallurgy, and may be confusing the "C" nomenclature.

Old 07-05-2024, 05:56   #68
dlj

Quote:
Indeed.
A Rockwell hardness tester consists of a penetrator, typically a round steel Ball, or diamond Cone) that is pressed into the surface of the material being tested, and a measuring device, that measures the depth of the indentation.
I've little knowledge of metallurgy, and may be confusing the "C" nomenclature.
No worries. I'm really not trying to be a pain in any way. Nor am I trying to "call you out".... I just like to clarify with the desire to inform, not criticize..

Hardness testing is actually quite complex. In addition to the general framework you've mentioned above, the load applied is also a major variable. I could go on ad nauseum...

I never know how much I should write here as this is a sailing forum so I try to keep things to a level that could be useful to this community...

dj
Old 07-05-2024, 06:09   #69

Quote:
No worries. I'm really not trying to be a pain in any way. Nor am I trying to "call you out".... I just like to clarify with the desire to inform, not criticize..

Hardness testing is actually quite complex. In addition to the general framework you've mentioned above, the load applied is also a major variable. I could go on ad nauseum...

I never know how much I should write here as this is a sailing forum so I try to keep things to a level that could be useful to this community...

dj
You are doing well

Can you guess (or do you know) what the hardness of a ball bearing (or roller bearing) in a motor car would be? And a piece of mild steel?
Old 07-05-2024, 06:57   #70
dlj

Quote:

You are doing well

Can you guess (or do you know) what the hardness of a ball bearing (or roller bearing) in a motor car would be? And a piece of mild steel?
Hahaha - your question is pretty vague.

For automotive ball bearings, typically those are manufactured from either SAE 51200 or AISI 440C. when used in bearings, the hardness would typically be about HRC 64 and HRC 60, respectively.

Your second part, is asking "a piece of mild steel".... Now this is much more vague as the term "mild steel", while a common term found, is not a term that has metallurgical significance. It is typically a term used for low alloy carbon steels, of which there are a lot of alloys. Complicating that, there are also different forms and manufacturing techniques.

So for me to give you an answer, I'll define some parameters. Cold-rolled low-carbon steel strip per ASTM A109 can have a hardness range from a maximum of HRB 55 for dead soft material through a minimum of either HRB 90, for specific strip thickness, or minimum of HRB 84 for a different range of strip thicknesses in the "hard" condition...

But clearly, you aren't asking this question to "advance the knowledge of sailors and this sailing forum" are you....

dj
Old 07-05-2024, 09:01   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hahaha - your question is pretty vague.

For automotive ball bearings, typically those are manufactured from either SAE 51200 or AISI 440C. when used in bearings, the hardness would typically be about HRC 64 and HRC 60, respectively...

So for me to give you an answer, I'll define some parameters. Cold-rolled low-carbon steel strip per ASTM A109 can have a hardness range from a maximum of HRB 55 for dead soft material through a minimum of either HRB 90, for specific strip thickness, or minimum of HRB 84 for a different range of strip thicknesses in the "hard" condition...
dj
Indeed.

Ball bearing hardness can vary [depending upon metal, & heat treatment]] from about 25 HRC [300 series S/S], up to over 90 HRC [Aluminum Bronze, Monel 400, & Tungsten Carbide].
440 series Stainless Ball Bearings have a minimum 58 HRC [up to 65 HRC] hardness.
Heat Treated Chrome Alloy Tool Steel is about 60 HRC.

Old 07-05-2024, 11:49   #72
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Tell me where I am going wrong.
I did an online search and came up with.
What's the problem?

https://www.totaltools.com.au/4038-s...8?gad_source=1

Total Tools Seaford

49 Seaford Road
Seaford Meadows, 5169, South Australia
Phone: 0881840100
o my good so expensive and not carbide.
i pay this 50€
but this is not for ss this is for mini late. and seacock on boat,bow thruster,aluminium,normal steel not but over 10 mm for SS 316 best use https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3281...90.32819030890
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 13:05   #73

Boat: Downeaster 38

Out of curiosity how did you stamp/ cut the plates?

Drilling the holes is the easy part.

Did you have the plates fabricated? If so, why didn’t/ don’t you have them put the holes in them for you?
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 13:56   #74
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
Out of curiosity how did you stamp/ cut the plates?

Drilling the holes is the easy part.

Did you have the plates fabricated? If so, why didn’t/ don’t you have them put the holes in them for you?
cutting ss plate 2-4 cm thick is 10 time easy ws drilling holes 2-4 cm.

and toll is cheap. for diy
angle grinder and ss cuting disc 0,8-2mm
surf 125mm Cutting Disc Steel Inox Stainless Super Thin

you need some guide like aluminium flat profile 4x1 cm xx meter????

slovly up-down and have perfect flat cut.

i have diamond very old 30+ year disc no name producer but cut like butter, more expensive brand dont cut nice.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 14:33   #75

Boat: Downeaster 38

Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote