Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2018, 06:03   #91

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: Drilling through stainless steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
You must mean cordless, surely you are not drilling SS with a hand drill

But if you are, I [emoji144]
Old 23-09-2018, 06:29   #92

Boat: Rhodes 45'

Hard to sort the serious from the pranks in here... Some of us take these instructional threads more serious. I was serious about the bacon grease and the constant need to sharpen bits. Stainless is not just one metal but many. 316 is perhaps the most desirable because of molybdenum, and survives in sea water environments. If welding, always use the same in MIG or TIG wire. Order on line, huge price difference. Here's a link as a reference but there are too many to list, do your own research. Knowing the metal beats making a joke to cover your ignorance and or giving out bad advice. https://www.bosunsupplies.com/stainless-steel-info.html
Fitsthebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 07:29   #93

Some years ago, I was machining the laser-cut blanks for my engine-gearbox mounting plates. I wondered why it was so damn difficult to cut, some of the time. It was some time later that I was talking to the laser guys and they told me that the material they had to hand at the time was high-Carbon steel. I guess that I was having the same problem as with stainless, in that it was work-hardening if I didn't immediately get to cutting a decent amount with proper chip loading. When machining stainless, you need a really sharp tool. Machining mild steel, you get a better finish with a slightly dull one.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 10:59   #94

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

there are drill bits extra for stainless steel. Dont use regular steel drills.
Old 23-09-2018, 11:36   #95

HSS can work, for 2 or 3 holes. Very sharp, and in a drill-press. Cobalt is far better, but also in a press as they break VERY easily if any bending occurs. Either way, use a cutting compound. Cutting compound makes a huge difference if you are cutting a thread too.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 23:12   #96

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Tom View Post
I would not drill into the stainless. Use two SS U bolts, with grip, on each step. The U bolts go around the SS pipe on your present step as drill holes in the teak steps you wish to attach.
You will need washers and have to cut the U bolts off and file then so you don't cut your feet.

If you must drill buy Dimond tipped drill bits.
I am just about to weld up my transom ladder but rather than "U" bolts I'll bolt "U" shaped nylon blocks to the bottom of the step to stop it rotating. BUT I much prefer your idea of "U" bolts rather than drilling in to the SS which of course would weaken the tube and provide a place for sea water to accumulate in the tube.

Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 11:14   #97

If you can't drill the stainless use pvc conduit straps 3 on the bottom of the tread and at the vertical ends . I did this with my p30 and works well. K2
Kenzie Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 21:47   #98

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

ANODISING STAINLESS STEEL
"A. Yes, it can be done. It does not have quite the usefulness that aluminum anodizing has. ... Yes, we can anodize stainless steel to different colors, including black. However in comparison to titanium anodizing, stainless steel colors are not so durable and require some type of protective coating to become durable".
www.finishing.com/

Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stainless steel, steel