Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 16:41   #1

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Dying Dyneema

There was some discussion on another thread a while back about painting or dying Dyneema. I believe it was Jedi who pointed out that Rit makes a dye for synthetics so I decided to give it a go as my trampolines had bleached nearly white which made it hard to see the anchor while pulling in the dark. Also hoping to slow UV damage, although that ship has probably sailed.

I have an 8 gallon s/s kettle and "Bayou Cooker" for brewing beer so I was already set up. I added 2 bottles of Rit DyeMore to 6 gallons of water and cooked my trampolines for 30 minutes each at 200F.

Very happy with the results. It will be interesting to see how the dye holds up with time. In the photo you can see my setup as well as one tramp in the pot and the other on the crossbeam which shows the contrast in color.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dying tramps.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	423.1 KB
ID:	293788  

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 17:27   #2

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Dying Dyneema

Following with interest. Thanks for posting.
Old Today, 18:00   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Dying Dyneema

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
There was some discussion on another thread a while back about painting or dying Dyneema. I believe it was Jedi who pointed out that Rit makes a dye for synthetics so I decided to give it a go as my trampolines had bleached nearly white which made it hard to see the anchor while pulling in the dark. Also hoping to slow UV damage, although that ship has probably sailed.

I have an 8 gallon s/s kettle and "Bayou Cooker" for brewing beer so I was already set up. I added 2 bottles of Rit DyeMore to 6 gallons of water and cooked my trampolines for 30 minutes each at 200F.

Very happy with the results. It will be interesting to see how the dye holds up with time. In the photo you can see my setup as well as one tramp in the pot and the other on the crossbeam which shows the contrast in color.
I did, but I believe it was in a thread about dye for anodizing aluminum

Anything that blocks UV will help as it prevents UV from penetrating deeper into the rope.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dyneema