Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2023, 10:53   #1

Boat: Nordic 34
Edson Quadrant Tight Fit

Hello,

I have a Nordic 34 sloop with an Edson steering quadrant, a pull-pull chain to wire setup, and a hollow rudder post.

My problem is reinstalling the quadrant after I removed it to drop my rudder for inspection. When I removed the quadrant it remained tightly fastened to the rudder stock even after I removed the 4 x 3/8" bolts, 2 on each side of the rudder stock and the 5th bolt through the middle of the quadrant hub and my rudder stock (acting like a key). I had to hit the back half of the quadrant, where the wire eye bolts connect, with a hammer and block of wood to get the quadrant to release from the rudder stock.

During the re-installation I lubricated the rudder post, torqued the five bolts above to 25 ft-lb and tried the same procedure of hitting the back half with a hammer and a block of wood but I cannot get the two halves to cinch up against the rudder post. There still is a gap at the joint and around the back of the rudder post. I am reluctant to torque the 3/8" any more 25 ft-lb at the risk of snapping them off which would be a real disaster. Your suggestions are appreciated. Thank-you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quadrant-Sm.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	274853  
TPDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 12:26   #2

Re: Edson Quadrant Tight Fit

Why do you think the gap is a problem, was it definitely not there previously? I don't have easy access to look at mine and check, but if there are no burrs or damage to the shaft or the quadrant, and they appear to be making good contact around the diameter other than the gap, I don't think a gap would be a problem.
I don't think you could have bent the quadrant, with a block of wood involved.
Edson is helpful with tech advice, for a more definitive answer!
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 12:36   #3

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

" was it definitely not there previously? "

my 2 cents, too.

Will rather have that gap than having full contact and wondering if it may be too loose.

Remember the difference between good enough and perfect is a cracking sound
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 13:05   #4

Looks fine to me, assuming it is tight on the post. Things like this are rarely machined with zero tolerance when tightened to be sure they can actually be pulled tight.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 09:06   #5

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback. I spoke to Edson today who said they machine their quadrants .003-.005" smaller for a compression fit to take the pressure off the bolt that goes through my rudder stock. I do recall the halves being tight against each other and they confirmed that it would be ideal to achieve this.

Today I will take apart the quadrant, clean the rudder stock and the inside surfaces of the quadrant with emery paper, remove any burrs with a stone, lubricate the surfaces and re-install bolts to 20 ft-lbs, then use some C-clamps to pull the halves to together. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 03-05-2023, 09:37   #6

I did not achieve a different result yesterday so I will live with the small gap that exists and check on bolt torque throughout the summer to ensure there is no slack developing. Thanks for you help and feedback. Much appreciated.
Old 03-05-2023, 10:28   #7

You might try a grade 8 or higher bolt thru the center of the shaft to help pull the parts together. A grade 8 bolt , 3/8 x 24, torqued to 50 ft. Lb. gives a clamp load of about 7900 lb.
I would think that would move the parts together about as far as they are going to go.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edson