Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2021, 10:15   #1

Boat: Tartan 31
Edson radial drive wheel slipping vertically on rudderpost

I noticed that on our new-to-me Tartan 31 the radial drive wheel for the Edson steering is slipping down on the rudderpost. I can move it back up by hand with a bit of effort but it eventually work it's way back down and mis-align with the steering cables. I've checked all the bolts on it and they're tight. Is this wheel just worn out and in need of replacement, or is there something I'm missing?

It's the style with the keyway, so I don't see anything "attaching" it to the rudderpost (like a through-bolt or set screw) other than friction.
swannie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:00   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Edson radial drive wheel slipping vertically on rudderpost

Welcome to the forum, Swannie2.

Something is not right here. That's an assembly that you want to have be absolutely rigid, or the keyways and key are going to wear, eventually leaving you holding a freely spinning wheel at some embarrassing moment. There is a setscrew in nearly all cases, either into a small depression (dimple) in the shaft of clamping down on the key itself. Other possibilities include a tapered shaft and a tightening nut. One way or another, it needs to be tight.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:22   #3

Boat: Hylas 49

Contact Edson. Best customer service anywhere! Owner of the company gives out his cell phone!

Perhaps a bolt is sheared off or loose that is supposed to hold the wheel in place.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:30   #4

Boat: Moody 376

EB380 - Quadrant, Radial Drive Wheel

and Tiller Arm Installation - Manual

looking at the pdf, on the keyway models, there is nothing bolting the quadrant to the post other than the clamping force of the quadrant.

in a pinch im sure you could hose clamp something under the quadrant to help slow down the slippage to keep the wires aligned until you can figure out how so solve the problem.

drilling and tapping for a set screw would work. but likely need a re-torque of the clamping bolts maybe???
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:33   #5

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

If the clamping force is not enough to keep the quadrant from slipping, just add a flexible plastic shim.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:58   #6

Boat: Nordic 44

Drill and tap for a couple of set screws pressing on the key. Use stainless hex head bolts instead of set screws and be sure to use some anti seize compound. Tefgel or Duralac. I prefer Duralac because it hardens. Tefgel is a grease and the bolts could loosen.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:59   #7

Boat: Allied 39

We had a similar issue with our 55 year old edson steering quadrant. It was wire to chain driven. We removed the quadrant (came off in two pieces) and took a flat file and filed down the two joining/ mating surfaces. It only took a few minutes. Now the two pieces can clamp down tight on the rudder shaft.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:14   #8

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

All good suggestions.

I would also carefully inspect the drive wheels for cracks, that might lessen the preload on the rudder shaft.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 06:53   #9

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Some good tips/info here that I'll take into consideration. I've reached out to Edson and am waiting a reply to see if they have any suggestions. I'll follow up with a post detailing how we solve it.
Old 15-07-2021, 17:30   #10

Following up on my own post ... Edson replied to try and use a stainless shim to get it tighter. I poked around my garage and found some .025 aluminum sheet which I took a couple strips off of.

I loosened the drive wheel and with the two halves apart as far as I was conformable (which wasn't very far) and there wasn't enough room to get my shim in there. I tightened the drive wheel halves back up, got a hose clamp and a piece of leftover rubber exhaust hose and clamped it around the wheel to prevent the drive wheel from sliding down. Not my favorite fix, but it'll work fine until the winter when I can address it properly.
Old 15-07-2021, 20:12   #11

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

So stainless shim sounds great. Aluminum as you may know may have corrosion issues.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2021, 20:22   #12

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
So stainless shim sounds great. Aluminum as you may know may have corrosion issues.
That's why I suggested plastic.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 05:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
The drive wheel itself is cast aluminum so I don't think I'd have corrosion issues with it? I know you can get a galvanic reaction with two different metals touching each other (particularly when water is involved).

Tags
cal, edson, rudder, wheel