Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2023, 09:48   #31

Boat: Columbia 36
Re: Effective use of chandleries and alternatives to them

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
In my local WEST store about half the floor space is dedicated to clothing apparel, designer shirts, etc and fishing gear.
I got $2 sez that store will be closing soon...
Most or all of them are like that, and have been for a long time. For real boat stuff, if they don't sell 10 of them a day, they don't stock it. If I have to order it anyway I'll get it from another source. Defender had been my favorite but I haven't gotten anything since before they were bought out so I don't know how good they are now.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 10:00   #32

Boat: Columbia 36

I've gotten a lot of stuff on Amazon. It's amazing how much niche market stuff they have. Some of it is knock off of unknown quality, some name brand so take your pick. I've tried a couple of the knock off items and they seemed ok. If you're near one of their warehouses you can get a lot of stuff next day with Prime. More obscure stuff comes from farther away and takes a couple days longer. I don't pay for Prime, every so often they offer a month of it for free. I usually bite and cancel before the month is up.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 13:00   #33

I usually hang them from the ceiling.My Mrs likes to swing from them sometimes.
Ooops……. chandleries 🤗
Twoskippies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 15:58   #34

Boat: Morgan 382

I must be the last boater that likes West Marine...
I buy stuff from many of the other places mentioned in this thread as well. My local West Marine (Marin City/Sausalito) is well stocked with electrical stuff (wire, terminals, the bluesea stuff etc.) line, varnish and paint supplies, hardware (nuts, bolts, hinges etc.) some common engine service items (filters, belts and impellers etc.) and tons of other stuff.
Some of the stuff sold there is not cheap, but neither are McMaster or Grainger. So obviously price isn't the only consideration. I shop at West Marine because if I am in the middle of a project and need something, I can go get it and finish the project today, or I can order it and finish the project next week. For me, that is worth a lot of extra cash.
And if West Marine sells clothes and fishing gear (I have also bought both foulies and offshore fishing gear there) to keep the doors open, I am not going to complain about that. It is very nice to have a West Marine near most ports on the West Coast that if I have an issue on the coast I can just get what I need instead of being delayed.
When I am not in a hurry there are other places I look. But if buying local so no shipping cost, and getting 5% back as a gold member, their prices are not that bad. I bought my kayak there, and for a 2 adults and 1 child sized kayak their price was quite good, especially not having to pay shipping.

I will add to the list of other suppliers, https://www.pacergroup.net/ for wire, heat shrink terminals etc. Much cheaper than Ancor from WM, and as good or better quality. The terminals from Amazon and the like suck. Pacer also has a good wire color selection, including colored wire with a stripe. When I rewired my engine panel I retained all the correct wire colors.

And Sausalito has a great local hardware store, not part of any chain, that does a good job catering to the marine market. That is usually the first place I look for anything I need.
Old 10-05-2023, 16:38   #35

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I think the usefulness of a West Marine varies between stores. Some do a better job of keeping a good selection of the "I need it now" items than others. And I've noticed that while they're generally expensive, they do sometimes have good sales and occasionally they just turn out to be the cheapest source for something in general. But realistically, a large portion of the store is sadly dedicated to stuff only small boat owners or non-boaters will actually buy.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 17:17   #36

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

yes, there are a couple of things I like to get at West Marine also. Mostly because they are odds and ends and I want them now

*Store branded bottom paint that is Petit rebranded (may no longer be available)
*Store branded sailing gloves
*Foul weather gear (cheap stuff)
*electronics
*boat hooks and the like
*fenders
*USCG/SOLAS compliant safety equipment, fire extinguishers
*I've also been known to buy a dingy or 2 there
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 17:55   #37

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Effective use of chandleries and alternatives to them

Last item I bought at west was a winch that someone else refused due to a blemish somewhere
Neither the sales guy or I could readily fins it but it was a couple hundred off just to move it out of inventory
Oh and still cheaper than anyone else
Old 10-05-2023, 18:06   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Bock Marine in Beaufort, NC has a small on site chandlery. Very reasonable prices. But also for their customers you can buy from Grainger through Bock and get a discount. Generally next day delivery. Typical great service from Bock.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 20:03   #39

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
*USCG/SOLAS compliant safety equipment, fire extinguishers
Curiously, the "Marine fire extinguisher" sold at West and other places are the exact same model number as the "household fire extinguishers" sold at the big box stores. Complete with the USCG approval.
sailingharry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 22:03   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Curiously, the "Marine fire extinguisher" sold at West and other places are the exact same model number as the "household fire extinguishers" sold at the big box stores. Complete with the USCG approval.

yes. A lot of marine things are not. That’s why it was separated out in the list with a comma. to show that it is not part of the Solas USSG safety equipment. The comma denotes that it is another item on the list.
Old 10-05-2023, 22:04   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Bock Marine in Beaufort, NC has a small on site chandlery. Very reasonable prices. But also for their customers you can buy from Grainger through Bock and get a discount. Generally next day delivery. Typical great service from Bock.
I second this post. I can’t say enough about Bock.

I have hauled out there to do work on some pretty difficult projects I know he’s got lots of help and got everything done.

Great place. If only they could haul my current boat.
Old 11-05-2023, 05:45   #42

Boat: Bristol, 1972,34ft, Frog

I agree that WM is the most expensive source. All depends on the store. In North Fork, Long Island WM in Riverhead has good supply, knowledgeable and very friendly and helpful staff.
Other good local Sources in Long Island:
Lighthouse Marine in Aquebogue, very well stocked, good service
St. Preston & Sons, in Greenport, very knowledgeable staff, if they don’t have, they will get it pretty fast. Good prices.
Also Albertson Marine in Southold, not as big as the other two but helpful and friendly.
The above three served me well during my 19 years of having my boat there.
In my new neighborhood the reality is: WM in Port Washington excels in empty shelfs and staff that can’t tell the difference from a boat and a horse cart, go to WM in Huntington, helpful, knowledgeable.
Sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 11:37   #43

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41

I’ve been very impressed with Hodges Marine in Oldsmar, FL. They seem to always have what I need in stock and at (or near) the lowest price on the internet. Even the rare stuff that West Marine no longer carries. I believe every time I’ve ordered it’s been free 2- day shipping.
VChild is offline   Reply With Quote