Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2017, 12:39   #31

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham
Re: EMERGENCY SITUATION - Help needed Panama City Panama

Be aware that when you question decision you don't know why those decisions where made. Sometimes what looks like a bad choice can be to avoid an even worse one. One thing I have learned is how different running a boat is in places like the Caribbean and Central America compared to Europe. If you are contemplating cruising in less developed areas than the ones you are use to expect and plan for way less services, great difficulty in getting spares, lots of communications problems including phones and internet not available/working. If possible crew for an experienced skipper before taking your own boat. I did not have that chance and it has been a steep learning curve. If, like me, it is a delivery trip double ALL the problems!
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 12:48   #32
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Be aware that when you question decision you don't know why those decisions where made. Sometimes what looks like a bad choice can be to avoid an even worse one. One thing I have learned is how different running a boat is in places like the Caribbean and Central America compared to Europe. If you are contemplating cruising in less developed areas than the ones you are use to expect and plan for way less services, great difficulty in getting spares, lots of communications problems including phones and internet not available/working. If possible crew for an experienced skipper before taking your own boat. I did not have that chance and it has been a steep learning curve. If, like me, it is a delivery trip double ALL the problems!
I would never abandon ship and leave the mess in an anchorage for others to rush in and fix.

Roland,

This IS YOUR responsibility.

I'm not "kicking you when you're down," but simply suggesting that you get your arse down there asap and step up to the situation at hand instead of making any more excuses.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 13:00   #33

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Alternatively, you could call out for a volunteer to go down to take care of the problem. If you can't go yourself.
Offer RT flight, room and board, and whatever supplies are needed (or the money to buy).
That would be cheaper than having to clean up after a sunken boat. Not sure how Panamanians handle that issue. And this is obviously cheaper than the loss of the boat.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 13:14   #34
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

This is NOT a cheap hobby.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 13:45   #35

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Alternatively, you could call out for a volunteer to go down to take care of the problem. If you can't go yourself.
Offer RT flight, room and board, and whatever supplies are needed (or the money to buy).
That would be cheaper than having to clean up after a sunken boat. Not sure how Panamanians handle that issue. And this is obviously cheaper than the loss of the boat.
I think some of you are not reading my posts correctly. As I cannot get there in a reasonable time I am paying a professional skipper and ship management company to assess the problem and move the boat to safe storage on land. This is currently going on so was much quicker than I could get there. They are on site and I am sure they will do a good job. The forum was very useful and put me in touch with the company I needed.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 13:48   #36
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
I think some of you are not reading my posts correctly. As I cannot get there in a reasonable time I am paying a professional skipper and ship management company to assess the problem and move the boat to safe storage on land. This is currently going on so was much quicker than I could get there. They are on site and I am sure they will do a good job. The forum was very useful and put me in touch with the company I needed.
I'm glad things are working out for you.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 13:51   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: EMERGENCY SITUATION - Help needed Panama City Panama

I'm surprised there's no one on the hook there who can do the pump for you.. should be at least 30-40 boats there at the moment.. get the minders to go on the net in the morning.. when I was last there, there were several live aboard offering services..
Be surprised if no ones there.. oh.. and there's already a few sunken boats there.. one old tub went down as we watched.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 17:39   #38
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
This is NOT a cheap hobby.
How true. It either gets you a little bit constantly or in big, sometimes huge hits.

Tags
emergency, enc, Panama