Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2010, 10:44   #1

Boat: Catalina 36 - S/V Wind Ensemble
Endeavour Hose Sizes

We are in the process of purchasing a 1984 Endeavour 38 (aft. cockpit). One problem that we have to fix before delivering her home is replacing some of the hoses (head intake, galley sink, DOD, etc.). We know the outside diameters of the hoses (2 1/4 and 1 1/8), but we do not know the inside diameters. We were hoping to save some time by having the hoses when we arrive at the boat so we can start the task of replacing as soon as possible. Does anyone know the inside diameter of these hoses? I believe they are all original parts.

Thanks,
Jeff
WindEnsemble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 10:55   #2
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
sanitation hose is usually 1.5" ID. intake hoses are usually 3/4" ID but not always. are you replacing cause the survey said you needed to?
Old 22-03-2010, 11:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
sanitation hose is usually 1.5" ID. intake hoses are usually 3/4" ID but not always. are you replacing cause the survey said you needed to?
Correct, and insurance will not give final approval until the surveyor reinspects and gives the thumbs up. To be fair, some are in pretty bad shape...
Old 22-03-2010, 12:18   #4
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Jeff,

The answers from gonesail are correct for the Endeavours. Also, you might try:
www.endeavourowners.com

Since they need to be replaced anyway, I would suggest removing them and cutting off a 'sample'. The head discharge hoses have spiral wire within, so it will be a bit more difficult.

If DOD is in reference to the Deck Overboard Drains, you have yourself a heck of a job ahead - if you have any midship deck drains (my E43 had them and necessitated removal of the whole galley cabinet assembly). If you have a foredeck anchor locker, best be looking at replacing that too.

Enjoy!

T
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 12:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Elusive View Post
Jeff,

The answers from gonesail are correct for the Endeavours. Also, you might try:
www.endeavourowners.com

Since they need to be replaced anyway, I would suggest removing them and cutting off a 'sample'. The head discharge hoses have spiral wire within, so it will be a bit more difficult.

If DOD is in reference to the Deck Overboard Drains, you have yourself a heck of a job ahead - if you have any midship deck drains (my E43 had them and necessitated removal of the whole galley cabinet assembly). If you have a foredeck anchor locker, best be looking at replacing that too.

Enjoy!

T
Thanks, T. I was referring to direct overboard discharge. All of the hoses in question are below the water line hoses. Fortunately, all of the seacocks work! Unfortunately, the boat is 10 hours from here, so getting a sample is difficult. I have been all over the Endeavourowners site, but was not successful in finding an answer. Thanks a bunch for the help.
Old 22-03-2010, 15:15   #6

Boat: Endeavour 37
Just a FYI...if you are changing the hose from the head to holding tank/overboard discharge, don't be surprised if the anti-siphon loop fitting is behind the hanging locker back panel. If so the panel comes off easy enought by removing the trim and a few screws. My Endeavour 37 had the hoses soo blocked when I bought her that the head would not pump.
magicmoments is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 16:27   #7

Boat: 2006 Island Packet 440
Thanks for the heads-up! (no pun intended). The guy who started this thread is my brother and we are in this insanity together. I forgot about the loop in the discharge hose...i hope we bought enough hose!
Tim
LastMango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 18:57   #8

Endeavour Hose Sizes

I have an 1978 Endeavour 37 plan b. I replaced all the head hoses last year. Mine were: 1 1/2" for the waste(with a vented loop hidden behind teak panel in the v berth cabin port side locker) and 3/4" for the sea water intake. Keep in mind when buying the hose that the waste hose runs forward(behind teak panel in locker) to the tank(located under v berth, port side). From the tank it goes forward and then makes a 180 and runs under the floorboards back to the seacock. You probably have black hose with wire imbedded. I replaced this with the white 'odorless' waste hose. If you choose to use this you will need a heat gun or good hair dryer as you need to heat the hose some to make it pliable enough to make some turns and to get it on connections. You will also need something to lube the hose to get it on the connections. The waste hose is kind of tricky to get into some places but will be easier with two people, I did mine by myself. You may need a 'fish tape' to feed the hose in some areas. Remember also to figure in to plump the waste to the holdout deck fitting(you will probably need to remove the teak panels above the locker to connect the tank vent and deck fitting connections(the panels with the 110v outlet on the face and the adjacent one) there are teak plugs hiding the screws). There is also a vent hose from the tank to overboard above the water line. Also there is a vented loop in the 3/4" seawater intake hose. It is located inside the cabinet with sliding doors in the head. If you take off the sliding doors and look inside to the left, the vented hose is hidden behind the teak panel(just unscrew the panel, screws are under teak plugs). So make sure you figure for enough 3/4" hose to run up the wall above the waterline to the vented loop and back down to the head. I don't know how the Endeavour 38 is laid out but that's how mine is, check the Endeavour owner's website and check out the Endeavour Plan B layout and compare to yours. I hope this helps. Have fun and wash your hands before you eat after you do this job! ha ha!
ude123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 09:46   #9

Thanks

Thanks for the assist, everyone. We have 18' of each size hose (the white stuff). Hopefully, almost half the boat length will suffice. Yes, will wash hands!
Old 23-03-2010, 10:27   #10
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
ah yes the wonderful task of removing sanitary hoses. just did this on my 33' boat. a hack saw works good for the hoses that won't come off the fittings. but then so nice to deal with nice new hose!!
Old 23-03-2010, 16:34   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
I found the triton 101 head hose to be much easier to install than the white stuff.

My E-42 was also 1.5" for waste and .75" for water intake
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:24   #12

Hoses Replaced

Thanks again for the help everyone. We got all of the necessary hoses replaced. It was indeed a nasty, sometimes difficult job, but had lots of help from excellent crew members. One thing that we found, at least on our boat, was that the ID for the head sink hose was 1.25". Everything else was as advertised...1.5" for discharge hoses and .75" for intakes.

Once replaced, the surveyor granted his approval and the insurance company gave us the go ahead to leave port. We left Ft. Myers for coastal Alabama, but had to put in at Carabelle, FL due to contrary winds and seas that were forecasted to stay that way for 3 days (vastly different than the forecast we got before leaving port...of course). We'll go back and get it later.

Anyway, thanks again everyone. This is a great forum.

Jeff
Old 02-04-2010, 09:58   #13

Boat: Endeavour 40
Jeff,

Will be be going through the ICW or just waiting it out to get back on the gulf? I'm just outside of Destin on my Endeavour 40, if you need any help on the way through let me know.

Daniel
s/v Geneve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:50   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Geneve View Post
Jeff,

Will be be going through the ICW or just waiting it out to get back on the gulf? I'm just outside of Destin on my Endeavour 40, if you need any help on the way through let me know.

Daniel
Daniel,

Thanks for the kind offer. Hopefully, everything will go fine on the next leg, but you never know. It is looking like my brother will be taking his family on a spring break trip (short hops over 6 days) rather than us making a dash from Carabelle to AL. He will likely do a combination of gulf and ICW. Our mast height is 58', so there are a couple of places where he'll be forced into the gulf, I believe. I am just starting to learn the details of transiting the ICW in a sailboat.

Jeff
Old 02-04-2010, 12:26   #15

Boat: Endeavour 40
Jeff,

Yes definitely don't head to through the ICW unless you want to stop for a couple of days in St Joe's, the Dupont Bridge on the east side of Panama City is only 50' and you will have to turn back to St. Joe's to get back out to the Gulf. You can duck in to Destin and anchor in the harbor but you won't make the bridge to get into the bay as it is 48'. All kinds of things to do and eat from the harbor though, especially with the kids. I think that if you need to you can run for awhile in the ICW after Pensacola, but I'm usually going the other way. If you don't already have it bookmarked try activecaptain as a decent source for local knowledge on areas, register and it will allow you into more info. I'm 54'6" on the stick so I've had to study the charts as well. Enjoy the sail!

Daniel
s/v Geneve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
endeavour