Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2019, 06:07   #1

Enough is enough.

I am contemplating taking on a neglected Pearson p40 as a long project. But what I want to know from you all when do you cry uncle and say enough is enough. A little about the boat
77' Pearson p40. Perkins 4108. Paragon trans. V Drive has been removed. And the worst part of it all there is and has been a foot of water inside the cabin for about 2 years. No visible blisters or soft spot on deck. But have been unable to go inside due to footwear and time. Owner says I my keep it at dock and work on it at my liesure. My concern is bulkheads and motor and trans issues due to them sitting for so long and water.

About myself. This would be my first sailing vessel. I've spent about 15 years fishing the flats, competent mechanic. Have the itch to take the family sailing and have a few hours in a 27? Catalina.
Onefishredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:13   #2

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Enough is enough.

No way in hell. Put your time into a boat that can be restored.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:17   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

As a test, add up what a replacement engine, new wiring, ply bulkheads, new sails and soft furnishings etc are going to cost you. Add standing rigging and antifoul paint, plus 2 years worth of storage fees on land.

Then go and search Craigslist and e bay etc to see what you could buy now for the same money.

You save 2 years heartache, your family get to see you at the weekends and evenings, and you get to go sailing now.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:23   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Onefishredfish.

You’ve got to ask yourself:
Do you want to take the family sailing?
Or
Work on a nasty boat?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:25   #5

THANK you, Pete7!!!! I could see a cluster in the making and didn't want to be discouraging...

Onefishredfish, it is also a little unclear why/how the "owner says I must keep it at dock and work on it at my leisure" ?? So you put all the sweat, blood and tears into this boat while someone else owns it? Hrumph. When, exactly, would title pass to you?

Warm wishes that you'll find a MUCH better boat than this one
LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:28   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

No way in hell.

It may look like a sailboat, but it’s actually a trash dumpster.

Spend 3-5 times as much on something operable and you’ll be thousands ahead and may find out you like sailing!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:39   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
THANK you, Pete7!!!! I could see a cluster in the making and didn't want to be discouraging...
Actually on reflection, I think I was being too gentle as well. Haven't had a cigarette for a couple of days, so really on edge and have to be super selective what I say less I bite someones head off.

Perhaps 2 years on the hard working several evenings and every weekend may not be enough. Lets make that 3 - 5 years.

There are some You Tube videos of people doing just this sort of thing, one is Sailing Africa, about a cat and it leaves something to be desired. Then there a young couple on a Ferro mono yacht, well they will learn lots I am sure, just not about sailing for some years.

Pete
Old 04-01-2019, 06:44   #8

Typo. I was on my phone. The boat is across the canal from my father's house. The owner says he would ALLOW it to stay there. He had health problems and the galley door was left open here in FL which is why water is there. I fully understand it would be a 2-4+ year project. To me it's a lot easier to spend 2-3k on a project boat and another 15+ over those years. And on the positive rebuilding anything I get a better understanding of how things are put together, especially wiring/electrical when things go wrong. I fell in love with this boat many years ago seeing across the canal and hate to see it rot and go to salvage.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:49   #9

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Also would say no way, even if it was "free".

Basically the boat mostly sank at the dock. Besides the lower structural components, engine, electrical and plumbing degradation, how did all that water get into the boat? There must be some serious deck leaks which means there are most likely also deck and possibly chain plate issues. (sorry I see you answered this when I was writing my reply)

If the owner was taking care of the boat, how did they allow that much water to accumulate?

Walk away and use this as a learning experience. A Catalina 27 isn't a bad entry level boat and fairly low cost if you want to see how you like sailing. Be sure to change the chain plates/U-bolts as they are prone to failure on the older boats.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:37   #10

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

An interesting write up on the Pearson 40 with some good tips of mods needed if you still want to continue w/ the project.

Wouldn't have guessed that the hull would have been balsa cored in '77.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:40   #11
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. Haven't had a cigarette for a couple of days, so really on edge and have to be super selective what I say less I bite someones head off.
Ha, been there, done that: Quit cigarettes June 16th, 2017. Pain in the butt for 5-6 days, but it helped to chew aspirins.

As for a boat that was partially sunk for 2 years: No..Life is too short and the project will be expensive by the time you are done.
Lots of well maintained, older boats out there and usually a buyers market.
(I sold a 37’ Endevour sloop a few years ago with a brand new diesel, new tranny, new fuel tank and other goodies for $20k a few years ago, look for something similar instead)
Old 04-01-2019, 08:07   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I like this series, but he isn't doing the work a yard is and I dread to think what the cost was, deep pockets certainly needed:

Old 04-01-2019, 09:27   #13

Why not?

This Pearson 40 article says that it is an intriguing boat (in principle). If the boat can stay at its place, is still quite ok once you had a look inside and you are keen/ready for a multi-year renovation.. you might end up with a nice boat?

Did you see this thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ard-82749.html ?
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:40   #14

Just say no to that one. All the bulkheads and cabinetry are shot. It's like building a complete boat from hull and deck. You can buy those boats pretty cheap that are ready to use but needing tlc. Go that way..100% It'll be FAR cheaper.
The P40 is cored and has no cabin and not the most popular boat out there anyway.
The P42 is more popular and this one is only 16K.
https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/72300

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:55   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Just say no to that one. All the bulkheads and cabinetry are shot. It's like building a complete boat from hull and deck. You can buy those boats pretty cheap that are ready to use but needing tlc. Go that way..100% It'll be FAR cheaper.
The P40 is cored and has no cabin and not the most popular boat out there anyway.
The P42 is more popular and this one is only 16K.
https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/72300
That p42 seems to be as much as a project. For 16k... Bulkheads and cabinets also need to be replaced... I'll keep looking around. It's just convenient and cheap. I figure I'm paying 3k for a slip for 2-4 years with a free boat. Before going any further I'll dry out the interior. Close it up and come back in a month and see how things are before moving forward.