Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 14:50   #16

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Epfianes Wood Finish Screw up

I love the look of Epifanes Wood Finish on the interior. It is not a really high gloss like some varnishes, and it is 100% more durable. It says gloss, but it is more of a semi-gloss. I use Penetrol to thin it, if necessary, and it usually takes longer to dry than regular varnish under normal conditions. If you can afford to wait a bit I would just do that and keep the heat on. I usually put on the first coat pretty thin (using Penetrol) and then recoat every 24 hours for a couple of days, with only a very light sanding inbetween. Theoretically, you don't have to sand between coats of Wood Finish, but it does improve the finish.
Old 01-02-2013, 19:55   #17
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

I started the interior revarnish project on the Compass using Epifanes wood finish gloss and was not too happy with the results. I then switched to Epifanes rapid clear and love it. I did six coats of rapid clear followed by one coat of Interlux Goldspar satin. I was using Epifanes rubbed effect, which I always used in the past, until I ran into three cans of rubbed effect that were actually gloss, I decided to give up and go the Interlux. I am loving the fact that I don't have to sand in between coats with the rapid clear. I still have most of the headliner and the aft stateroom and aft head to do. I look forward to being finished lol.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 21:45   #18

Most modern paints do not simply "dry" but actually polymerize (or something...) as the solvent evaporates. It a chemical reaction of sorts as I understand it. That's why latex, epoxy and urethane finishes and such are not simply removed by adding the solvent back in.

My experience in chilly Monterey was if the temperature drops out of specification while the finish is wet the cure fails and you have a sticky mess. Paint remover may be your best solution.

Paint early in the day. Put the heater on High all night. Perhaps insulate the deck if you are painting the overhead or the inside of exterior surfaces. Or sail down this way where all the products harden in double-quick time day or night.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote