Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2024, 10:30   #1

Epifanes Rubbed Finish on Teak (show me!)

I'm new to varnishing and was thinking to finish with Epifanes Rubbed Finish Teak. I prefer the satin or matte finish. What would you recommend for a base coat? (Varnish Clear, Woodfinish, or a Rapidcoat?). I'm not a huge fan of amber and prefer the deeper reds that come with age.

Show me your teak!
Cdn_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 14:49   #2

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Re: Epifanes Rubbed Finish on Teak (show me!)

I do build coats with rapid clear until grain is mostly filled, sand, then at least one coat of clear regular varnish,sanded, then one or two coats of hand rubbed. It gives a really nice finish. Hand rubbed is interior only. I don’t like wood finish, I think it is too soft when dry and cured.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 16:09   #3

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

This used to be good stuff.
No recent experience,& in Canada,it's difficult to find real oil paint/varnish any longer.
https://www.loghomestore.ca/product/sikkens-cetol-1-re/
Old 02-05-2024, 04:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
I do build coats with rapid clear until grain is mostly filled, sand, then at least one coat of clear regular varnish,sanded, then one or two coats of hand rubbed. It gives a really nice finish. Hand rubbed is interior only. I don’t like wood finish, I think it is too soft when dry and cured.
Why use rapid clear instead of building up with regular gloss varnish? Have a pic of your finished product?
Cdn_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 07:44   #5

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Rapid clear can be recoated without sanding, and several coats can go on the same day. With gloss clear you have to wait 24hrs then sand. Rapid clear is a little thinner so you don’t get the same film thickness per coat, it you can build it up quicker.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 08:14   #6

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

I generally use Epifanes below decks - but the interior of my boat is mahogany - not teak. I use various mixtures of rubbed effect and gloss - depending on the amount of wear/handling that I expect. I use pure rubbed effect on the surfaces that do not get much handling (e.g., ceiling boards, bulkheads, etc.) - a 50/50 mixture of rubbed effect/gloss on surfaces that get moderate handling (e.g., door frames, etc.) - and a 75/25 mixture (gloss/rubbed) for surfaces that get a larger amount of handling (e.g., grab rails, bulkhead trim, etc.). It seems to me that gloss stands up to handling better than rubbed effect - but I could just be kidding myself. I called Epifanes and they told me that mixing gloss and rubbed effect was OK as long as the rubbed effect was well-stirred.

I apply a couple of 'base' coats of Epifanes rapid clear - diluting the first coat with about 25% thinner and the second with about 10% thinner. I sand the next-to-final coat with 400-grit paper, and keep applying thinned rapid clear (and sanding) until I get a nice, smooth surface before applying the final coat.

I don't use Epifanes on the outside - where my teak brightwork lives. I tried it and was not pleased. I've switched over to AwlWood. AwlWood is easier to apply and maintain - and it seems to hold up to the UV light better than others that I've tried. I usually give the brightwork 8 (or so - sometimes 9) coats. I'll finish by 'buffing' the final coat with 3M Perfect-It rubbing compounds (using the appropriate pad on my 8" buffer/sander).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	84lfotoq.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	386.5 KB
ID:	289459  

Tags
bed, teak