Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2017, 10:13   #1

Epoxy over teak

Interested to hear your experience with epoxy and glass over teak. I have an Endeavor 37 ketch, with pieced together "toerail" which has been so neglected that it is beyond salvage cosmetically. I have plenty of experience with the products available, but would appreciate feedback from anyone who has attempted this. Final finish will be Marine enamel.

Thanks!
Oldhippiesailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 10:32   #2

Boat: 41' yawl
Re: Epoxy over teak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhippiesailer View Post
Interested to hear your experience with epoxy and glass over teak. I have an Endeavor 37 ketch, with pieced together "toerail" which has been so neglected that it is beyond salvage cosmetically. I have plenty of experience with the products available, but would appreciate feedback from anyone who has attempted this. Final finish will be Marine enamel.

Thanks!
I think your only chance with epoxy over teak is to be sure there are no other ways moisture can get into the wood. Moisture will ultimately break the bond with any product you put down. If you do fiberglass too, you'll have a real mess on your hands when that separates.

I think it's unlikely you'll be able to prevent moisture from getting at your toerail from the underside, so I'd steer clear of this. If you were talking about a tiller or something you could literally encase in epoxy on all sides, then you'd have a fighting chance.

Also note that epoxy _must_ be covered with something else (varnish, polyurethane, paint, whatever) to take the UV light. Epoxy goes to hell _very_ quickly in sunlight. Like, within one season. So covering with marine enamel is definitely a good idea.

I've had great experience with epoxy followed by two part poly over teak, and bad experience where I screwed up and let water get at the base of the wood.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 11:23   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

The common suggestion around here seems to be Awlwood, a clear finish for wood by the folks who make Awlgrip paints.
http://www.awlgrip.com/products/clea...s/awlwood.aspx

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 16:02   #4

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Glass over teak be it polyester or epoxy is a bad Idea. Teak is an oily wood that is always expanding and contracting. I'd look for another alternative​.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 16:32   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

A weathered teak surface is not very oily. If you didn't do something silly like sand it first, epoxy with some paint on top will last a long time
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 21:38   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I sanded then epoxied my teak caprails. Looked great and lasted more than 3 years before the UV got to it. I should have painted or varnished the cap rail to protect the UV susceptible epoxy.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy, teak