Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2022, 10:35   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam
Epoxy paint over Dow foam and wetting fiberglass?

Okay so I am back on land and purchased my land yacht. It is called an aluminum trailer and I am looking to finish the inside out light light light.

I am currently thinking of removing the wood subfloor and replacing it with Dow foam insulation. With a top cover of epoxy wetted fiberglass. The closed cell pink foam. This is the same foam that the owner of my vessel used to make my refrigerator compartment.

I have come across Sherwin Williams epoxy paint in a large quantity. Cheap cheap. I have attached the spec sheet.

It is so cheap because it is past shelf life.

While I suspect the answer is just try it, I will still be out a few hundred miles driving to go get it and the several hundred purchase price. Therefore, I was hoping I could get a few comments.

#1 The spec sheets for this product reads "Must be applied over primed and/or coated surface". However, it states nothing about what to prime with. Any thoughts.

#2 Has anyone tried wetting out a layer of fiberglass with epoxy paint and did it adhere to the substrate?

#3 Provided epoxy is not mixed, should I really be concerned something is past shelf-life?

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Epoxy coating.pdf (293.1 KB, 36 views)
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 10:54   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Epoxy paint over Dow foam and wetting fiberglass?

We've wetted out f/g with a white tinted epoxy to stick it to pink foam for a freezer liner and it stuck to the foam well.

Not certain I would use the epoxy paint to adhere the glass to the foam. Would use regular epoxy, then maybe a primer followed by the paint. SW has epoxy primer.

On the other hand, if it was cheap enough, you could try to see if the glass would stick to the foam well enough for your application. It would be an experiment to see if it works.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 12:07   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Epoxy paint over Dow foam and wetting fiberglass?

No good for a floor. Cabinets? Yes. But not for a floor. That foam is friable, and will crumble into pieces or flatten, delaminating from your fiberglass.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy, fiberglass, paint