Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2022, 14:45   #31

Re: Epoxy takes days to cure when very cold

I believe we learned from our toxicologist when sampling groundwater for the EPA that acetone IS a know carcinogen. The dermal exposure is considered a primary pathway as well a significant inhalation hazard. Plus it is flammable.
bullislandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 15:12   #32

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Yes Sir. Which is why my printers exhaust tiny plastic particles and vapour through a hepa filter. Epoxy ASA ABS CF Peek Nylon PETG all potentially dangerous.
PLA biodegradable made from corn waste can put tiny particles in the air so I filter even PLA.
Handling Epoxy in a closed environment requires independent air. No filter qualifies due to those chemicals you point out. A fireman’s tank is easier than a coil hose.
In a yard a good filter mask should protect your lungs but could effect skin
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 17:38   #33

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullislandken View Post
I believe we learned from our toxicologist when sampling groundwater for the EPA that acetone IS a know carcinogen. The dermal exposure is considered a primary pathway as well a significant inhalation hazard. Plus it is flammable.
"The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has concluded that there is not sufficient evidence to assess whether acetone is carcinogenic (causing cancer) to humans. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) and National Toxicology Program (NTP) have not classified acetone for carcinogenicity." 2 June 2022

https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxfaqs/tfacts21.pdf
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2022, 18:37   #34

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullislandken View Post

It is flammable in the USA, inflammable in the UK, and only causes cancer in California.

I'll get my coat.
Old 27-07-2022, 04:02   #35

Angry Re: Epoxy takes days to cure when very cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
It is flammable in the USA, inflammable in the UK, and only causes cancer in California.

I'll get my coat.
Why spread mis-information? I just did a google and you are WRONG! Can you see "Acetone" listed?

What chemical in California causes cancer?

Chemicals Listed Effective September 13, 2019 as Known to The State of California to Cause Cancer: 2-Amino-4-Chlorophenol; 2-Chloronitrobenzene; 1,4-Dichloro-2-Nitrobenzene; 2,4-Dichloro-1-Nitrobenzene; N,N-Dimethylacetamide, and Para-Nitroanisole.13 Sept 2019

https://oehha.ca.gov/proposition-65/...a-cause-cancer
Old 27-07-2022, 06:23   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
I used to mix on cardboard all the time but I was advised by someone with more experience than me not to as the cardboard will absorb resin or hardener to varying degrees and so possibly throwing off the ratios. This would especially be a problem if you apply the resin to one spot, the hardener to another, and then mix. But I have also thought that the degree to which the ratios would be off would depend on the total amount being mixed.

So whether really an issue or not I only use cardboard as a last resort and for something non-critical. I mix in either a plastic cup or on a piece of plastic for small amounts. The hardened epoxy always pops off the plastic so I can reuse it.

Maybe overkill but the last thing I need is one more variable to worry about.

Harry
For mixing, I save butter or sour cream tubs (cleaned of course). Nice smooth surface and I can throw them away when done.

Anyone who has done any significant work with epoxy knows it's very heat sensitive and mix up too big of a batch and it will get crazy hot. The directions typically include the preferred temperatures for working and they have hardeners matched to different temps (though probably not freezing)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 07:06   #37

When stationed in Alaska one trick I used was to cover the area with a plastic sheet and then lay an electric heat pad or blanket on top.
Philkoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 09:33   #38

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Why spread mis-information? I just did a google and you are WRONG! Can you see "Acetone" listed?

What chemical in California causes cancer?

Chemicals Listed Effective September 13, 2019 as Known to The State of California to Cause Cancer: 2-Amino-4-Chlorophenol; 2-Chloronitrobenzene; 1,4-Dichloro-2-Nitrobenzene; 2,4-Dichloro-1-Nitrobenzene; N,N-Dimethylacetamide, and Para-Nitroanisole.13 Sept 2019

https://oehha.ca.gov/proposition-65/...a-cause-cancer
Step back for a moment and think about what acetone is used for.
Thinning, and cleaning off items.

It's not the Acetone, it's the chemicals you clean off with it.
Acetone opens your skin pores and allows penetration into your blood of the chemicals.

Similar to DMT used to absorb LSD back in the day.

The uptake of the chemicals are rapid.
Not giving time to wash it off.

Don't use it to wash off chemicals on your hands, use the proper chemical resistant gloves.
Standard knowledge of the properties of Acetone should be examined.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 10:34   #39

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Step back for a moment and think about what acetone is used for.
Thinning, and cleaning off items.

It's not the Acetone, it's the chemicals you clean off with it.
Acetone opens your skin pores and allows penetration into your blood of the chemicals.

Similar to DMT used to absorb LSD back in the day.

The uptake of the chemicals are rapid.
Not giving time to wash it off.

Don't use it to wash off chemicals on your hands, use the proper chemical resistant gloves.
Standard knowledge of the properties of Acetone should be examined.
Boatyarddog

(Similar to DMT used to absorb LSD back in the day.)

Sorry that is incorrect info, guess I don't know my psychedelic drugs.
Probably a good thing!
It does facilitate absorption of chemicals into your blood stream.
BYD
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 11:13   #40

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

In the 1970s I was buying epoxy resin in 55 gallon drums and acetone in 5 gallon cans. I have a lot of both on my skin and breathed the vapors over years. I'm mid 70s and cancer free, so far. If it gets me now it would be a shallow victory. I suspect the probable brain cancer in California is from something else.
In my youth I also used carbon tetrachlorid, benzine, white gas in copious quantities. All were excellent solvents, better than anything we have today. Thanks again, EPA.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 18:28   #41

Like you Lepke I have been (ab)using all sorts of chemicals and now wonder if it has caused many skin cancers on my feet. Possible?

I agree we should limit our exposure to fiberglassing type chemicals (as well as other non natural products)
  • There have also been cases when continuous exposure to kerosene on the skin resulted in skin cancer.
  • Lead is now considered dangerous.
  • Fluoride?
  • Carbon tetra chloride
Wear gloves.....

Tags
epoxy