Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2015, 15:36   #16

Re: Epoxy top coat

Google says PPG bought ameron and integrated its products into its line. I've only seen the PPG branded epoxy product here in Aus but I haven't looked to hard. It maybe be different to the xle80 product mentioned by Roger or for all we know it might be from the same factory and rebranded (although the data sheets do appear to have differences). Anyway the proof is in actually trying it as Roger has done. The YouTube link I posted seems to show a successful application off a gun of the PPG product rather than me slapping it on with a roller. It maybe even, as with polyurethanes, that there can be differences in application/result between colours. If I find another can of it at the disposal store I'm going to try it out on a tender. I think that maybe these industrial protective coatings are designed to be applied in high volume with an airless setup where economy of application on infrastructure is more important than a showroom finish.
bobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 19:59   #17

I put my money where my mouth is and bought two 20L kits of the psx700 (surplus from a project). Two 40' steel boats to be painted. They don't require a show room finish. One will be rolled, the other will likely be sprayed. Given that some of the benefits of the product compared to polyurethane take over 8 years to be realised it might be sometime before I report back.
Old 09-01-2016, 20:46   #18

Location: In boat fixing' season I'm in a Maryland boat yard too close to Washington, DC ... except when I escape to home on the beach in Florida!
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 34

Let us know how the application goes. Your first-hand experience and evaluation of the process and finishes will be of interest...certainly a bit sooner than eight years!😀

Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
svtrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 22:01   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtrio View Post
Let us know how the application goes. Your first-hand experience and evaluation of the process and finishes will be of interest...certainly a bit sooner than eight years!😀

Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Ill take some pictures along the way.
according to the chart in the brochure it will loose 40% of its gloss in about 5 years and then the gloss level will stabilise. I'm also interested to see how it wears ie fenders rubbing, knocks from tenders etc. that's where the awlgrip let me down.

Tags
epoxy