Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 18:03   #31

Re: Espar Mystery

Update...

Espar ran diagnostics and ruled out the thermostat and determined that the ECU (Espar Control Unit?) was defective. They swapped the ECU for another one and it ran properly. They didn't say WHAT the failure was on the ECU, but only that it has to be replaced... a $600 part they are selling me at the discounted price of $475 and of course the service fee.

I have not received the heater back, installed it and run it... That is probably happening next week.

Thanks again to all who made excellent suggestions.

Stay tuned for the next chapter.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 17:18   #32

Final chapter. Heater, t stat and both pumps were returned for service and evaluation. Espar control unit was found to be faulty. It was replaced and both pumps tested and work.

Heater was returned and re installed. After 6 or 8 tries the fuel didn't seem to reach the pump. I assumed their was a vacuum or air lock and was going to try to bleed it the following day. I fired it up just to see if it would work. And it did... now it works perfectly.

All of those who suspected some problem on the "board" they were correct. I received the old one back and it's a sealed unit with an attached wiring harness. I don't know that it is repairable. Seems that these sorts of components are just replaced... the cost was something like $495. I replaced the exhaust hose too.

Thanks to all for their help. It turns out that this was something I could not diagnose... and it was something I could not repair (I suppose I could have ordered and installed the replacement if I was certain that was the problem.

If summer is like winter... the heater will see a lot of use. We're still waiting for Spring!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 19:57   #33

Boat: islandpacket

Thanks for the update.