Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2021, 08:12   #1

Evaluation on Repairing works on these 2 dinghies

I am about to buy a sail dinghy to learn sailing. There are 3 dinghies available nearby. I checked 2 of them. Both require repairing works, but can someone help me identify the one with less repairing works? (I am relatively handy, had done my basement completely by myself). They are relatively cheap, owner is asking for 500$. I am checking if it is worth to buy, which one should I choose if so.
I will have to check the Sail and mast in another visit.

Boat 1 has no damage on the bow and hull, but repairs needed for transom:
1. a piece of coat on top of transom
2. Most coat inside of transom is peeled off.

Boat 2 has very clean and sound inside, works to be done:
1. On the bow, some patches to be done
2. on the starboard side, some part of gunwale is off

riverwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:23   #2

Re: Evaluation on Repairing works on these 2 dinghies

If boat #1 is wood, and boat #2 is fiberglass, you want boat #2.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:30   #3

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

I would call those day sailors.
I agree with L-E that a fiberglass boat is probably a better starting point that a wooden one. A little less maintenance and worry that it is too far gone from the start. I tend to get excited before I understand the depth of the repairs and that sometimes leads to disappointment.

-Are they being stored as shown or covered/upside down?
-Does 500$ include a trailer?
-Will the seller be able to sort trough the spars and sails and wooden bits to make sure you are getting the right pieces?
-Can you identify make and model enough to find a page on sailboatdata.com or an online owners' association?
-Do they have HIN's (hull ID numbers), titles, bills of sale? Just asking for the eventual registration in your name.

Some days I wish I had skipped the plywood dinghy (8') and the current (21') and settled for 14-16' of day sailor. Once I get to camp out in the 21' I am sure that notion will go away. The construction of the dinghy and repairs to the weekender took/are taking longer than anticipated but I would be dishonest if I said I did not enjoy the process at least half the time.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:47   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Some days I wish I had skipped the plywood dinghy (8') and the current (21') and settled for 14-16' of day sailor. Once I get to camp out in the 21' I am sure that notion will go away. The construction of the dinghy and repairs to the weekender took/are taking longer than anticipated but I would be dishonest if I said I did not enjoy the process at least half the time.

If someone has a cottage, or easy access to a dinghy or drysailing club, an open daysailor (eg Wayfarer, CL6) is a great choice. But our 19' microcruiser is still as fun to sail, only a tiny bit more expensive to buy and maintain, more robust in a blow, and much, much nicer to sleep on . 14 years and no regrets!

/derail
Old 07-02-2021, 05:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I would call those day sailors.
I agree with L-E that a fiberglass boat is probably a better starting point that a wooden one. A little less maintenance and worry that it is too far gone from the start. I tend to get excited before I understand the depth of the repairs and that sometimes leads to disappointment.

-Are they being stored as shown or covered/upside down?
-Does 500$ include a trailer?
-Will the seller be able to sort trough the spars and sails and wooden bits to make sure you are getting the right pieces?
-Can you identify make and model enough to find a page on sailboatdata.com or an online owners' association?
-Do they have HIN's (hull ID numbers), titles, bills of sale? Just asking for the eventual registration in your name.

Tailor is not included, but I do have a tailor already. I will be happy to do the repair works to gain experience. My goal is to sail a 40+' one day. Many boat owners complained about fixing gunwale, is it really challenging?

For the make, model and HIN, I will check it out at next visit.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:25   #6

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Where do I start. I’m in the middle of a restoration of a 1965 16’ sailing dinghy. My wife paid $1.
It will cost me about $4000 when I’m done.
But it was in far worse shape.

Boat 1. The transom could be easy or a big pain. Many boats that size have a core between the outer layers of fiberglass. If the core is wood, it can be rotten. This is fixable, as is anything. You will have to remove the inner or outer fiberglass layer, remove the core and replace it with a new core, and build a new outer layer. Coosa board is an excellent material for the new core.
This boat looks like the wood is exposed inside and was just coated not glassed. If it’s not rotten, leave it be.

Boat 2. Those holes in the bow look like nothing. Grind back a bit, and lay up a couple of patches. Fair them. The gunnel is trickier as it has those tight curves. You could grind back a bit, clamp back together and patch. It will not look pretty without some effort and thought.

I like the look of #1 a bit more.
Looking at the pics again you may have to deal with the transom but that’s nothing that can’t be fixed. I’m concerned with the ice and snow I see inside the gunnel. Not sure what the structure is there.

Either way make sure you have all the spars and sails, rudder and centerboard.
Set it up and rig it while you are there so you know you have the right bits.

Or keep looking if you don’t want a project.
The photos are my transom half removed, and the new core.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5199.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	232053
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5819.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	232054

My project makes no economic sense if I count my labor. But that’s not the point.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:20   #7

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Dfelsent, nice project and summary.

Sometimes the lines on the wooden boats are more appealing.

Andy at Boatworks Today is doing a series on transom repair.
https://www.boatworkstoday.com/
Old 07-02-2021, 19:22   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
Where do I start. I’m in the middle of a restoration of a 1965 16’ sailing dinghy. My wife paid $1.
It will cost me about $4000 when I’m done.
But it was in far worse shape.

Boat 1. The transom could be easy or a big pain. Many boats that size have a core between the outer layers of fiberglass. If the core is wood, it can be rotten. This is fixable, as is anything. You will have to remove the inner or outer fiberglass layer, remove the core and replace it with a new core, and build a new outer layer. Coosa board is an excellent material for the new core.
This boat looks like the wood is exposed inside and was just coated not glassed. If it’s not rotten, leave it be.

Boat 2. Those holes in the bow look like nothing. Grind back a bit, and lay up a couple of patches. Fair them. The gunnel is trickier as it has those tight curves. You could grind back a bit, clamp back together and patch. It will not look pretty without some effort and thought.

I like the look of #1 a bit more.
Looking at the pics again you may have to deal with the transom but that’s nothing that can’t be fixed. I’m concerned with the ice and snow I see inside the gunnel. Not sure what the structure is there.

Either way make sure you have all the spars and sails, rudder and centerboard.
Set it up and rig it while you are there so you know you have the right bits.

Or keep looking if you don’t want a project.
The photos are my transom half removed, and the new core.
Attachment 232053
Attachment 232054

My project makes no economic sense if I count my labor. But that’s not the point.
Dfelsent, impressive work! not anyone can have it done like this.
Boat 1 is a vert old sail boat from Grampian Marine, a Canadian boat builder specialized in the design and manufacture of fiberglass sailboats (1962-1977). Looks like most part is fiberglass but the transom is wood.

Boat 2 I don't know the builder yet. But it looks newer. I worries exactly like your thought: the gunnel. The rudder, center board are all there. But I will have to check them with mast at my next visit.

Will keep you guys posted
Thanks.
Old 07-02-2021, 20:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwave View Post
Boat 1 is a vert old sail boat from Grampian Marine, a Canadian boat builder specialized in the design and manufacture of fiberglass sailboats (1962-1977). Looks like most part is fiberglass but the transom is wood.

Boat 2 I don't know the builder yet. But it looks newer. I worries exactly like your thought: the gunnel. The rudder, center board are all there. But I will have to check them with mast at my next visit.

Will keep you guys posted
Boat #2 - Albacore, maybe?

I now see that Boat #1 has a fg hull with a covered wooden transom. Still, when you have wet wood, it's a harder repair. Not impossible, and if you have the time and patience to remove all rotted wood, dry it out thoroughly (eg let alone, covered, for most of the winter), or are prepared to remove all wet wood and/or fabricate a new transom... it's doable. But still more work than repairing a hole or two in fiberglass.

But even more important is completeness - that the boat you finally choose comes with everything necessary:
  • centerboard
  • rudder and tiller
  • mast
  • boom
  • mainsail
  • jib sail
... because that stuff's expensive and hard to find sometimes for out of production boats. Standing and running rigging are easier to buy or get made up if needed, and the hardware (cleats, horns, etc) are common.
Old 08-02-2021, 15:44   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Boat #2 - Albacore, maybe?

I now see that Boat #1 has a fg hull with a covered wooden transom. Still, when you have wet wood, it's a harder repair. Not impossible, and if you have the time and patience to remove all rotted wood, dry it out thoroughly (eg let alone, covered, for most of the winter), or are prepared to remove all wet wood and/or fabricate a new transom... it's doable. But still more work than repairing a hole or two in fiberglass.

But even more important is completeness - that the boat you finally choose comes with everything necessary:
  • centerboard
  • rudder and tiller
  • mast
  • boom
  • mainsail
  • jib sail
... because that stuff's expensive and hard to find sometimes for out of production boats. Standing and running rigging are easier to buy or get made up if needed, and the hardware (cleats, horns, etc) are common.
Lake-Effect, I think you might be right, Boat 2 looks like Albacore, I will check if the seller has these info.
Definitely I will verify your list of items one by one.
If boat 2 is Albacore, I guess it might be a little easier to find the parts.
Will update with more inspection info in my next visit .

Thx

Tags
work