Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2020, 11:45   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423
Experience with McLube Hullkote Antifoul, esp for dinghy?

My wife and I have a 42' sailboat kept on a mooring in New England and use her about 3 of every 5 weekends during the summer. We have a Highfield aluminum / hypalon RIB as our dinghy. We typically leave our dinghy on the foredeck (no davits) and take the boat yard launch to and from the boat. Occasionally we leave the dinghy on the boat yard dock for a week at a time to accommodate arriving or leaving outside of launch hours. When cruising we don't tow the dinghy unless conditions and forecast are mild during that segment of the trip. As such we haven't needed anti-fouling bottom paint and wanted to avoid it to prevent the bottom paint from ending up on the mothership, tiedowns, or ourselves during retrieval or relaunch off the foredeck.

With COVID we will be using our dinghy to avoid lines for the launch and will have it in the water between trips down to go sailing. We have seen some growth on the bottom when left in for a week, so are worried about managing bottom growth having it in the water for most of the season.

I am interested in McLube Hullkote Antifouling Alternative. We don't mind cleaning the dinghy bottom occasionally, and hauling it out to reapply, but were hoping that McLube would help mitigate growth without the heavy layer of paint.

I was surprised not to find any threads on McLube, but I expect there are plenty of threads on general RIB bottom paint and practices. However, if you have comments on general RIB bottom paint I'm open to those too but will do a little more searching on that topic.

Thanks,
Harry
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 13:52   #2

Re: Experience with McLube Hullkote Antifoul, esp for dinghy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
My wife and I have a 42' sailboat kept on a mooring in New England and use her about 3 of every 5 weekends during the summer. We have a Highfield aluminum / hypalon RIB as our dinghy. We typically leave our dinghy on the foredeck (no davits) and take the boat yard launch to and from the boat. Occasionally we leave the dinghy on the boat yard dock for a week at a time to accommodate arriving or leaving outside of launch hours. When cruising we don't tow the dinghy unless conditions and forecast are mild during that segment of the trip. As such we haven't needed anti-fouling bottom paint and wanted to avoid it to prevent the bottom paint from ending up on the mothership, tiedowns, or ourselves during retrieval or relaunch off the foredeck.

With COVID we will be using our dinghy to avoid lines for the launch and will have it in the water between trips down to go sailing. We have seen some growth on the bottom when left in for a week, so are worried about managing bottom growth having it in the water for most of the season.

I am interested in McLube Hullkote Antifouling Alternative. We don't mind cleaning the dinghy bottom occasionally, and hauling it out to reapply, but were hoping that McLube would help mitigate growth without the heavy layer of paint.

I was surprised not to find any threads on McLube, but I expect there are plenty of threads on general RIB bottom paint and practices. However, if you have comments on general RIB bottom paint I'm open to those too but will do a little more searching on that topic.

Thanks,
Harry
Dont know mclube but I have uses various release films on ribs

They aren’t antifoul

The Boat fouls as normal , but is ten times easier to clean

The films I use last for one or two cleans
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 17:27   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423
Re: Experience with McLube Hullkote Antifoul, esp for dinghy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Dont know mclube but I have uses various release films on ribs

They aren’t antifoul

The Boat fouls as normal , but is ten times easier to clean

The films I use last for one or two cleans

Interesting. I have not heard of this before. What film do you apply?
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, enc, hull