Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2021, 09:09   #76
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Extensive barnacles on bottom paint that's 10 months old

I've been a diehard Pettit Trinidad fan for most of my 40 years afloat, and even in Florida get a reasonable long trouble free hull.

I have a diver do some hull diving every 3 months or so, but mostly to change the prop zinc and give the prop and waterline a scrub, rest of the boat doesn't appear to have much problems.

I don't know what kind of bottom paint the OP used, or how many coats, but I have had experiences with " cheap" bottom paint, that weren't worth the can they came in and fouled within a month.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 09:23   #77
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Extensive barnacles on bottom paint that's 10 months old

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
Low cost, over the counter, repurposing successful solutions are among their enemies.

Are you kidding me? Paint manufacturers are increasingly under the gun from governments all over the planet to come up with something less harmful than the current crop of copper-based anti fouling paints. If a relatively inexpensive, effective and environmentally-friendly ingredient that increased the efficacy of their products was available to the manufacturers, they would be all over it.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 09:27   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansan5653 View Post
Hello, I bought a daysailer (Freedom 21) back in May. The guy I bought it from said he had it hauled out and painted in December (not exactly sure what kind of paint but I'm sure it's ablative) and had the bottom cleaned by a diver in April. I believe him as he gave me the receipts.

I haven't paid much attention to the bottom since then because I knew it was painted and cleaned recently. I saw barnacles on the rudder and figured that must not have been painted along with the rest of the boat, so I planned to just take the rudder off and repaint that alone. The water isn't very clear here so I hadn't noticed anything on the bottom while she was sitting in the slip.

However, I took her out today in some breeze and had a look at the bottom as she was heeling, and it turns out there are barnacles everywhere. Not yet a full layer, but getting close.

Obviously I need to haul her out and scrape/sand/repaint, but I wasn't expecting this cost so soon. I mostly want to know why might this have happened so quickly? Could it just be that the ablative wasn't effective because the boat didn't move much? Is it possible that the diver cleaned the bottom with a scraper and destroyed the paint? Any other likely suspects I should look for?

This will be the first time I've hauled a boat and painted it, so any advice at all is appreciated. I have a small budget but I also don't mind spending more now to save money later. Thanks in advance!
Pretty much normal. At 4 months or so in the Caribe, my boat was loaded. I probably scraped maybe 3 gallons of barnacles off. Sitting at anchor makes it worse.
Barnacles grow great on bottom paint, then they die on there later, but that doesn't help the boater.

OTOH, paint I had done in Trinidad, black "submarine paint", lasted in Florida after the boat returned for 1.25 years. When I had a sale contract I hired a diver to scrape. He went down, came back up and told me "There's nothing on it"!

It's just something we have to live with to protect the environment.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 09:49   #79
cruiser

Cheechako,

Any idea what the “submarine” paint was or is? I am guessing it was a TBT formulation but I have often guessed wrong. Would be curious as to the formulation if you happen to know.

Safe Journeys,
~Jeb
Luvboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 09:55   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvboats View Post
Cheechako,

Any idea what the “submarine” paint was or is? I am guessing it was a TBT formulation but I have often guessed wrong. Would be curious as to the formulation if you happen to know.

Safe Journeys,
~Jeb
I think it probably was. This was back in 2000. It was a Dutch product "Jotun" company. Black only.
They had sold it for years, but I think they quit shortly after that, selling a similar labeled product but it was more normal bottom paint.

Old 19-10-2021, 10:26   #81

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I think it probably was. This was back in 2000. It was a Dutch product "Jotun" company. Black only.
They had sold it for years, but I think they quit shortly after that, selling a similar labeled product but it was more normal bottom paint.
There are always anecdotal stories about miracle paints which were once obtained then are no longer available. TBT paints were effectrive, (at killing everything) but I used Black Jotun I got under the table in Columbia a plain-unmarked can, had been sneaked out of the shipyard where navy boats were drydocked.

It didn't last any better for me than every other paint I ever used. One year and then needed frequent scraping.
Old 19-10-2021, 10:36   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
There are always anecdotal stories about miracle paints which were once obtained then are no longer available. TBT paints were effectrive, (at killing everything) but I used Black Jotun I got under the table in Columbia a plain-unmarked can, had been sneaked out of the shipyard where navy boats were drydocked.

It didn't last any better for me than every other paint I ever used. One year and then needed frequent scraping.
About what year was this?

Old 19-10-2021, 11:05   #83

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
About what year was this?
it was 2013
Old 19-10-2021, 11:44   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
it was 2013
Yeah, as I mentioned, they changed to "normal" bottom paint after about 1999/2000 although loved to use the "submarine paint", " from the Navy" line for quite a while...

Old 20-10-2021, 00:20   #85

Boat: Miura, 31ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I hope you don't think I'm being rude or aggressive when I tell you that chili powder as an effective ingredient of anti fouling paint is a decades-old wives' tale. There is ZERO evidence that chili powder has the slightest effect on any fouling organism, barnacles included. If it did, you would be able to buy chili pepper anti fouling paint in every boatyard. If it did, you would find greatly overpriced bottles of chili powder paint additive on the shelves of every chandlery in the country (not to mention the online versions of West Marine, Defender etc. etc.) But you don't and the reason why is because it doesn't work.
Your comment is noted. It seems to me that all your replies here are very provoking. We will never have all the answers but those of us that try to help each other doesn't seem to gel with you. As I mentioned it has worked wonders for me over the years and is a natural substance. If it is in your capacity to supply a permanent solution then please share with us uninformed people. I use a self polishing antifoul paint so the bottom stays clean with use. I have had times when my vessel was forced to remain on it's mooring for up to 2 years due to the harbour entrance silting up, with minimal or no growth and just a light rub took everything off. I stand by my method.
Sailormatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 08:30   #86
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormatic View Post
It seems to me that all your replies here are very provoking.
You haven't been here long enough to read all my replies. Nor are all my replies in this thread "provoking."

Quote:
We will never have all the answers but those of us that try to help each other doesn't seem to gel with you.
You have posted in this forum a total of FOUR times. Who are you to judge what my contribution over the last 15 years and many thousands of posts has been?

Quote:
I have had times when my vessel was forced to remain on it's mooring for up to 2 years due to the harbour entrance silting up, with minimal or no growth and just a light rub took everything off.
If your boat could hang on a mooring for 2 years and have little or no fouling growth, then I suggest that you could use latex house paint (or nothing at all, for that matter) and have a similar result. I suspect you are in Canada or Great Britain and the kind of fouling experienced in those places is not much of a test for any anti fouling paint or additive.

And again, your anecdote does is not scientific evidence that chili pepper is any kind of effective anti fouling ingredient. That evidence simply does not exist.
Old 22-10-2021, 03:45   #87

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Sailormatic, I would suggest that you have mis-read the intent of fstbttms posts while focusing on the wording.

Something everyone does now and then. We should always strive to realize that what we "hear" may NOT be what the other person is "saying." Especially when it comes from an online forum when you not only know nothing about the personality of who you are talking to but you cannot see their expressions to get any visual cues. Is there an evil smirk or a friendly smile behind those words ? Is there a condescending look or simple words of wisdom ? See, without knowing how the words are delivered, we apply our own interpretations to them, and often we can be wrong.

In this case, what you perceive as "provoking," I understand as "brusque" and "to the point," as I am familiar with his postings and I know of his long experience and knowledge of the topic.

If it helps - since you don't know him at all - try imagining fstbttms replies as coming from a humorless marine drill sergeant, and you will realize he is a man who knows what he is talking about and simply doesn't apply any sugar-coating whatsoever to his words.
Old 22-10-2021, 04:01   #88

Boat: Miura, 31ft

Thank you
Sailormatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 06:51   #89
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
If it helps - since you don't know him at all - try imagining fstbttms replies as coming from a humorless marine drill sergeant, and you will realize he is a man who knows what he is talking about and simply doesn't apply any sugar-coating whatsoever to his words.
This guy gets me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	i-love-you-man.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	247195  
Old 22-10-2021, 08:09   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
try imagining fstbttms replies as coming from a humorless marine drill sergeant, ...

My experience of several drill sergeants was of foul mouthed bullys! Thanks for the comparison! Haha!
smacksman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barnacles, bottom paint, paint