Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2019, 04:43   #1

Boat: Endurance Faria 44
Exterior wood filler

Hi all

Just wondering if there is any brand recommended to use as a filler on a teak deck? I'm sceptical to use any old filler as its durability I'm after due to it being outside on the deck. The planks are in good enough condition to not replace however there are a few with little cracks or chips which I need to repair.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated

Thanks Click image for larger version

Name:	20190119_152447_IMG_0911.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	433.1 KB
ID:	198412Click image for larger version

Name:	20190816_182735.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	198413
Cornishkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 05:26   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Exterior wood filler

Since you are only trying to fill little dings, a black silicone sealant comes to mind. In evaluating choices (among many) pay attention to the "years" rating. It is a rough measure of the amount of water in the mix, with cheap no-claim silicones having more water in them, ergo they shrink and crack. The black silicone used to mount my ports has not budged in several years, and is quite stiff.
Old 22-08-2019, 05:57   #3

Boat: Endurance Faria 44

My issue with that is where theres chips it may look wierd with a bit of black silicon in the middle, I feel.i can get away on the sides due to blending it in with the seams. At minute I'm leaning to making an epoxy paste with a lighter iroko, my only concern is epoxy UV resistance
Cornishkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 06:06   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Problem with epoxy is that it has an expansion rate different from wood as the wood expands and contracts with heat and moisture.

Bedding compound for wood needs to be flexible and adhere very well to the wood. Don't need to reinvent the wheel here, look up bedding compounds for wood suitable for a marine environment, there is a big variety.

By the way, you can purchase epoxy with a U/V filter, but its effectiveness against the sun is still limited. It is more of a reddish color.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 10:04   #5
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

You can carve wedge shaped "slivers" from a scrap of teak. Mask around the cracks on deck then tap them in with a little glue. The glue will darken the wood so don't use much. You can use Gorilla glue for this or Titebond 3. Epoxy will also be fine. If you use Titebond you don't have to wait for the glue to dry. Level it off with some sandpaper or a sharp chisel then peel the tape
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 10:36   #6
rbk

Boat: T37

Do not use any silicone based product. I would as mentioned above use the same compound you plan to use for the joints (assuming an STP sealant like sika 591 or likewise?) also as mentioned the ‘proper’ way is to it in new pieces and glue. The black stp actually looks pretty good when it’s done.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote