Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2018, 04:01   #1

Boat: S&S Catalina 38
EZ poxy performance enhancer

I am planning My spring projects, the biggest of which is to recore and paint the deck. As I was Considering which paint to use I came across this stuff. According to the manufacturer

“ Increases gloss, hardness and longevity of Pettit solvent based topside finishes
Provides the durability and gloss of linear polyurethanes with the ease of use of enamels and one-part polyurethanes.
Increases flow out of brush strokes and roller stipple, providing a mirror-like high gloss finish.

EZ-Poxy Performance Enhancer is an additive that can be used in all Pettit high gloss solvent based topside paints: EZ-Poxy, EZ-Decks, EZ- Bilge and Varnishes. Its advanced formulation polymers within the paint film, providing exceptional durability, gloss-retention, scratch resistance and longevity. Unlike other two-part urethane, paints catalyzed with this hardener can be applied over well adhered one-part finishes. EZ-Poxy PE truly makes achieving a high quality, long lasting yacht finish easy. Product #3021 - Half Pint (8 Oz. Can) per for one gallon of paint”

As the deck was previously painted, I thought this may be a good route. Anyone have experience with this product?
tsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:25   #2

Re: EZ poxy performance enhancer

I used a single part epoxy on my deck and topsides when restoring a Columbia 29 . They do not hold up well at all. Granted, I did not use the Enhancer. If I could do it again, and I will have to in another year, I would go with a two part expoxy. Do you know if the paint currently on the deck is single or two part. If it is single part you will have to remove it prior to applying a two part primer. Good luck
What Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:30   #3

Boat: sabre 28

I used Pettit's previous 2 part paint
EZ-poxy2. I rolled & tipped, it was very difficult to work with. I'd call tech support which was helpful but a dog with fleas is still a dog. When they pulled the product it was like WTF, it wasn't me after all.

Thier one part paint is great but I wouldn't use the latest & greatest from those guys. If you want a two part paint use Interlux.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:39   #4

Boat: S&S Catalina 38

Based on the brush marks and paint on all the hardware I would be surprised if whoever did it spent the money on 2 part paint. Which is why I am interested in the performance enhancer, which claims that it can be used over one part paints. I will be taking as much of the old stuff off as possible, but I would hate to have areas fail if I miss some spots.
tsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:13   #5

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I used unenhanced EZ on my boat. It is super thin and because of that will show every single defect. If rolling and tipping you need 2 people and it will set off faster than the tipper can go so the roller has to go slow. You will need 2 coats but the relative ease of application is a plus.

Maybe the enhancer might be good for the durability.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:59   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I haven't used the enhancer, but that's just because don't use 1 parts paints If you're gonna go thru all the work of re-coring your deck, and it is a lot of work, I'd use the best 2 part paint you can afford. The worst 2 part paint is gonna be better than the best 1 part paint by a long shot. And it is a Tartan, after all
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:39   #7

Boat: Defever sun deck 43feet

Lots of sanding to paint ! No shinning areas paint will not stick. Go with two part paint . I tried single part not worth s....t😂😂
Defeverboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:53   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

It is realitively new on the market. I don’t think it has been available long enough to get a good real world report on it.

That said, it is a Pettit product and they are a good company. If I was going to use a single part paint, I’d give it a try.