Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2023, 17:58   #1

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57
Fairing over new fiberglass below the waterline.

Working on my Columbia 9.6 and I have been scraping off old paint and re fairing the seams around my fin keel. The original application someone did was lousy, the fiberglass was basically dry on the back side and it lifted, then years and years of pathetic patch work with what apeared to be 7 different compounds. All that mess was removed. I'm using west systems, and there is no indication of water intrusion into the seam. I mixed a peanut butter consistency with micro and filled the seam before going over the top with 2" and or 4" fiberglass tape. My keel looks much smoother now and I'm completely satisfied with the adhesion. My question is, do I need to gelcoat over this, or can I simply barrier coat it and paint? Is there a better firm fairing compound? I know bondo is a bad choice.

After I'm done getting 20 years of paint off that is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230414_165912.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	274046   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230414_153526.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	274047  

Name:	20230414_173943.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	274048   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230414_173952.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	411.8 KB
ID:	274049  

Name:	20230413_163446.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	274050  
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 18:06   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Fairing over new fiberglass below the waterline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest Lakes View Post
Working on my Columbia 9.6 and I have been scraping off old paint and re fairing the seams around my fin keel. The original application someone did was lousy, the fiberglass was basically dry on the back side and it lifted, then years and years of pathetic patch work with what apeared to be 7 different compounds. All that mess was removed. I'm using west systems, and there is no indication of water intrusion into the seam. I mixed a peanut butter consistency with micro and filled the seam before going over the top with 2" and or 4" fiberglass tape. My keel looks much smoother now and I'm completely satisfied with the adhesion. My question is, do I need to gelcoat over this, or can I simply barrier coat it and paint? Is there a better firm fairing compound? I know bondo is a bad choice.

After I'm done getting 20 years of paint off that is.
Fairing Compound: it sounds like you use micro balloons by themselves? The brown stuff? And you mix that to peanut butter consistency? Not easy to do. That’s a little dry. You are supposed to mix colloidal silica with the micro balloons as well. That will make it firm. So it doesn’t drip or run. I think that’s what you mean by looking for a more firm compound. That’s the secret. There are two ingredients. Not just the one.

You definitely don’t need gelcoat over this. You don’t even need a “barrier coat”. You are using epoxy so you are good. However, the paint system that you use might require a primer. The paint manufacturer might require an epoxy primer underneath and will have one they make
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 19:32   #3

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

It's epoxy and microballoons. Consistency just enough that it doesn't run, but still spreads smoothly. Using Total Boat for bottom paint. The spartan multi season, I have fixed a half dozen or so blisters, and there are a few spots I've scraped down to gelcoat, so I figure a full barrier coat would be a good move, particularly with the rising cost of paint. Should be one more day of scraping paint, then putting on the new stuff. Hoping for a bit better speed and better handling after fixing all this stuff.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2023, 04:27   #4

Boat: 1983 Pearson 34

I just finished this task. If you are happy with the surface after the micro balloon, a few coats of Barrier coat/primer ( I used Interlux 2000) , then bottom paint. If you have done the FG and fairing, the worst is over
JeffDPT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, water