Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2022, 01:25   #1

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Fasteners and Fixings on board store

Right from the start of construction when I've needed nuts, bolts, screws and washers rather than buying (say) 5 of of them I've typically bought a full packet of 10 as it wasn't much more costly.

Now I've got enough SS fixings to ballast my yacht! What should I do with them? Do I leave them at home and hope something doesn't break on the yacht? Maybe I should only take bolts for the highly stressed fittings?

Any advice will be appreciated, Thanks
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 02:58   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Fasteners and Fixings on board store

I'm still using up and re-using bolts and screws that I bough twelve years ago when building my boat. Several dozen each of common sizes will come in handy for repairs along the way. I like to have 1/4", 5/16", and 3/8" bolts with various heads and with nuts and washers. Also some lengths of threaded rod, tons of cotter pins, and #8 wood or sheet metal screws in various lengths--just fill up a box with that stuff and put it in the back of a locker. You'll be glad you did when you're jury-rigging a repair in some faraway anchorage.
Old 06-05-2022, 03:23   #3

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Not much choice.
You'll either have what you need or wish that you did.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 05:33   #4

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

I took all the common size of bolts/machine screws in lengths longer than I would likely ever need. I also took a rotary (dremel) tool with cutoff wheels. In a pinch I could cut a screw to the length I needed. Takes more effort, but dramatically reduces the number of screws you have to carry around.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 05:44   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I carry

M3-M6 hex head and hex pan head and counter sunk various lengths to 60 mm

#4,6,8 in self tap. Pan head and counter sink from 5mm to 30mm

Lots of specials

You can’t have enough in my opinion.
Old 06-05-2022, 05:50   #6

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I keep a reasonable assortment of spare hardware on board. Not necessarily everything I could ever need, but a bunch of various size screws, bolts, etc. Enough that I can often find something when I need it. In my case, it's stored in some small drawers, so size limits how much I can store. Total weight of it is probably 30 - 40 lbs, so nothing too crazy.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 13:41   #7

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

Most of my sailing is 'at sea' or 'remote' ,so I tend to accumulate fastenings ,various glues and mastics , pieces of wood ,plywood, stainless ,aluminium and plastic. Plus a heap of plumbing fittings, electrical bits,etc. ( will need to have a clear out soon before I sink !!! ) Anyhow ,it is surprising how useful this junk becomes ! - latest ,bodgy,. was to convert the washing machine pump to a watermaker lift pump ! If you have the space ,keep everything that looks useful - but once a year ,chuck it away !
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote