Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2022, 13:35   #31

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Favorite Random Orbit Sander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil56 View Post
Mirka !
And I like their dust extractor better than Festool too. But at either brands price, I ain't buying
Old 15-05-2022, 14:34   #32

Boat: cape dory 31

Festool with vac hands down. I’m a woodworker, have three corded Festool sanders. They are well balanced so there’s less fatigue. Risk of marring the work is very low as you begin work or remove sander from the material. Dust removal is excellent. As someone said, the Rotex is a beast but it’s not perfect for a good scratch pattern, also heavy. 150 models have effective moderate material removal, 125 models best for fine work. With vacuum system paper runs cooler so there’s less clogging of the grit and even more so when you find the right combination of the speed of both the sander and vacuum. The 6” Rotex will cut the time spent on removing bottom paint by at least a third. No kidding. As a weekend warrior you can buy the right tools and sell them easily.
snippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 17:28   #33

I like the mesh paper for some applications. Mostly finer grits. It seems less durable. I find the paper backing on Makita discs is heavier than Mirka and other brands. The dust pick up even without my fein vacuum is pretty good. I was sanding seven doors for my guest house today and the Makita bag filled quickly. Like I said, with the vacuum, it leaves my material less dusty than when I started. I have used the Makitas on bottom paint and the curves of the hull reduces the effectiveness of the pick up without the vacuum. With the vac, we did pretty well.

I am a woodworker, too. Mostly I focus on timber framing so I am sanding big surfaces sometimes. About 25 years ago I bought a 12 3/4 inch Makita power plane. It is a beast but leaves a timber surface almost ready for oil finish. Much less sanding than the old days.

I have to admit, I am a not very good at using dust masks and respirators. I am using citrus base finishes now. I am 65 and I hope for 15 more years to make it to 80. It would suck if I got respiratory disease. Be safe, and don’t watch me without respirator, hard hat, steel toe shoes, and fall protection. I do wear a helmet and full face cage playing ice hockey.
bullislandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 18:57   #34

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35

If I had a chance to go back and buy a tools from scratch I'd plop the $$$ for a Festools set
A master shipwright told me so and I shouldda listened
The Bosch 6 inch is my go to
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 19:42   #35

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
No experience with the current line of Porter Cable tools, but my (way) older PC 6-inch RO right-angle variable speed sander is great. Sanded bottom paint and barrier coat at a marina that insisted I rent their Festool system due to dust concerns, but when I showed them how mine did they let me use my stuff. It's still my go-to tool for near everything from rough fiberglass to fine woodwork (sanding-wise that is).

I’ve got a 25 + year old porter cable 5” right angle random orbital. It predates their variable speed models.
Super controllable and comfortable. It’s stripped several 30-40 foot boat bottoms and been used to build a dinghy. It will be used on porch stairs this week.
I have no idea if the current models are as tough as this one because I’ve had no issues!
I did need to buy some parts as the rubber dust hood failed and I needed new pads. To my surprise the parts were available.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 10:07   #36

I like my new boch 6inch with the turbo switch. I really lean in on it and rarely bog it down runs cool after prolonged use. I like it better than my old porter cable which held up well
keyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 10:53   #37
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Makita, Bosch and Festool: these are all excellent choices for specific applications. The Festool Rotex and Bosch dual mode are direct competitors and you can’t go wrong with either for fast removal of material (the Bosch only cost half of the Festool)

But you don’t want to sand overhead with either one. The Makita palm sander is excellent for that, just like their small and light angle grinder.

Some links to the specific models:

https://www.amazon.com/Festool-FEQ-P...s%2C190&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GET65-5...s%2C227&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-BO5030...s%2C178&sr=8-2

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2022, 01:28   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I have been using a Mirka Deros 650 random orbital sander. It has interchangeable 125mm and 150mm pads and a wide range of Abranet abrasive discs that last much longer than traditional sandpaper.

It is also very light and with it's brushless motor, quite powerful. While they are quite pricey, stand alone units are cheaper, if you can find one.

After many seasons of hard labor, I had to send it in for a repair. Got it back in three days. That's good service.

I am not affiliated with Mirka, just wanted to mention a great tool for removing antifouling.

We also discovered this year a French machine that is built like a grinder, but instead of a disc, it has drums of different materials, sanding drums, wire brushes, different drums for different uses. It is found here.

https://www.fartools.com/stripping-shop-666666.html

but my cheapo vacuum cleaner couldn't quite keep up the the dust removal. It was very fast at removing 6 layers of antifouling.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2022, 05:47   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
We also discovered this year a French machine that is built like a grinder, but instead of a disc, it has drums of different materials, sanding drums, wire brushes, different drums for different uses. It is found here.

https://www.fartools.com/stripping-shop-666666.html

but my cheapo vacuum cleaner couldn't quite keep up the the dust removal. It was very fast at removing 6 layers of antifouling.

It's a burnishing tool. You can find cheap versions on Ebay and Amazon. They work well, but can leave a line (vs a grinder's dish shape) in the fiberglass if not careful applying even pressure. Mind as well just use the grinder, that everyone has on hand, if dust isn't a concern.

I also think Mirka is the best.
Old 19-05-2022, 05:55   #40

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I don’t like an orbital sander on a boat at all.
Being a Great Lake boater I’ve never had a hull bad enough to use one. Used poorly the can do massive damage seconds. On a Donzi with a bad chunk in it I used an air orbiter. I find with the hose on a shoulder sling air tools much better at body work. The small tool and weight gives you a clear view and touch.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2022, 05:56   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I wouldn't call removing six layers of antifouling in one go burnishing anything.

I used the drum with 80 grit sandpaper and took all the layers of antifouling off to the GelShield in one day.

The Far tool also has about 10 other options for removing rust, shaping wood, etc.

Just made so much dust the Karcher vacuum couldn't keep up. My Mirka is much better at collecting the dust and feeding the vacuum cleaner.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2022, 06:17   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
I wouldn't call removing six layers of antifouling in one go burnishing anything.

I used the drum with 80 grit sandpaper and took all the layers of antifouling off to the GelShield in one day.

The Far tool also has about 10 other options for removing rust, shaping wood, etc.

Just made so much dust the Karcher vacuum couldn't keep up. My Mirka is much better at collecting the dust and feeding the vacuum cleaner.
I wouldn't either, but that's what they are called. And they all offer multiple drums... From wire brushes down to 36grit.
Old 19-05-2022, 07:54   #43

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

I've got a Dewalt 5" RO sander and Really dislike using it. Mostly because they don't provide any attachment for dust collection (other than the little bag) and the "adapter" costs more than the sander! I've move to a Rigid brand sander and I'm happier with it.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2022, 09:39   #44

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
I've got a Dewalt 5" RO sander and Really dislike using it. Mostly because they don't provide any attachment for dust collection (other than the little bag) and the "adapter" costs more than the sander! I've move to a Rigid brand sander and I'm happier with it.
The attachment is why I bought the Bosch 5" orbital sander that easily hooks up to the dry vac, which is also much better than its attached dust bag. In the yard, I will rent the Festool sander with the HEPA dust extractor. It's a really nice kit but not necessary to purchase given the amount of sanding I need to do.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2022, 09:50   #45

I am not familiar with the Mirka Deros. I will check it out.

I have a Makita brush sander that looks like your stripping machine. I will give it a go. I have the wire brush and flap sanding drums. I use it to brush dirt from salvaged Timbers.

It was part of the old Makita Indent program in the early 90’s. They were all sold direct from Japan and I have a hollow chisel mortiser, the stationary router, the huge tenon cutter, the 12 3/4 inch power plane pushed by hand, and other special tools were available like a chain mortiser.

I am retired now…..what am I gonna do with all these tools? Finish my own projects and then die.
bullislandken is offline   Reply With Quote