Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2019, 21:36   #76

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Favourite way of tracking boat refurb project

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
After reading many posts here on how they go about planning when refurbishing a boat I am convinced they would use a sledge-hammer to crack nuts!!
For sure the tool must match the job.

However, quite a few boat builders who knew a lot about building boats but weren't so good at planning and business went out of business.
Old 24-08-2019, 22:57   #77

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Excel, part of the office “package”
+1, admittadly I've got a bit of an Excel fettish (redface).
I got Gantt charts, budget running totals, shopping lists, maintenance schedules, inventory lists all going.

I obviously need a life, when I see the list of my list.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 23:35   #78

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Xopa View Post
+1, admittadly I've got a bit of an Excel fettish (redface).
I got Gantt charts, budget running totals, shopping lists, maintenance schedules, inventory lists all going.

I obviously need a life, when I see the list of my list.

At least you can laugh about it!!

No point in me preparing a shopping list as I leave them in the car and I arrive home without a lot of stuff.

Maybe I should have a checklist just like air pilots have: get car keys, shopping list, wallet, phone, shopping bags, ice box, tape measure, sample color paint.......?
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 04:14   #79

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Old 25-08-2019, 10:56   #80

Boat: PSC 37 Crealock #149 (RIP)

First refurb: Used MS Project for the big stuff, .xls and ad hoc lists for crumbs. Receipts itemized on .xls. MS Project helped solve "which comes first, chicken or egg" but was difficult to maintain. Used local regattas to prioritize and enforce refurb schedule: certain tasks complete before race day. And the race served as sea trial for new systems: radar, AIS, etc. Second refurb: kept Google sheet list of Tasks with Priority and Completion Date on Android cell phone/cloud. Collected day's notes on Calendar. Receipts itemized.
JDGreenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 11:44   #81

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

I didnt read through all the responses....theres a lot.

Coming from the programming world, designing and building a system is as large than rebuilding a boat.

I use the "scrum" technique which is what we use in programming. Here is what I do:

Write everything down on a piece of paper. Take a pad of sticky notes and break each "project" into a todo list. I use different color sticky notes for different priorities.

On a blank wall create three columns - todo, in progress, done. I use frogger tape to separate columns.

Everything written on a sticky note gets put under todo. The high priority notes are placed at the top, medium in the middle, low at the bottom. Work the board from right to left every morning - in progress > todo. If something is stuck in progress for a reason like "awaiting part", it moves into todo.

I try to create sticky notes based on a few hours worth of work, that way nothing is too big and you'll be able to complete things in a logical way, yet feel fulfilled your making progress
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 12:41   #82

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Stop feeding electronic tools and start doing projects.

First things first, create a working enwironment, means get your tools to the boat, make yourself a workbench and stop doing things in the garage, stay at the boat if possible.

Make a survey what needs to be fixed, use post-it notes around the boat to get the big picture. Priorise what must be done on the dry before watering, and what can be done in the water at the dock. Then what can be done later while living on board and cruising without needing the dock.

Concentrate on the priorities, if some Ressource sets you back, waiting for delivery or for external help, work on the next task. Order the material needed upfront, so that you have it when you need it, but do not order everything at once, to keep storage needs minimal and have space to work on board. You can store stuff not needed immediately in your garage, but better near the boat.

There are projects you'll like and some you'll hate. Try to mix them so you see progress and don't get too frustrated and more motivated. Sometimes a nice to have project achievement makes you happy and motivates you to do the harder stuff.

That is for serious refit. Regarding the shopping list, serial numbers and the like... Use your camera, make a photo of the item with the serial number.

After moving on board I have a A4 paper log book per season, from the front side there is my checklist, travel log with date, time, mileage log, start and destination, crew, time, sog, cog, pos, sails or motors used, weather information, then free text about generator hours, watermaker usage, fuel refills, anchorages, spendings and other note wothy things under way.

From the back side there are some pages reserved for items needed as remainder, then there is a list of broken stuff, things todo and maintenance done, each line has a date, when it was written and a date when it was finished, also a priority mark. Things done are striked through.

I frequently read this list as a remainder and try to tick of some of the points now and then or postpone the fix for the next longer project break after the season. It is also great to see when and what maintenance was done the last time, replaced patrs or quick fixes under way that need a propper fix later etc.
Old 25-08-2019, 12:42   #83

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post

Coming from the programming world, designing and building a system is as large than rebuilding a boat.

I use the "scrum" technique which is what we use in programming. Here is what I do:

Write everything down on a piece of paper. Take a pad of sticky notes and break each "project" into a todo list. I use different color sticky notes for different priorities.

On a blank wall create three columns - todo, in progress, done. I use frogger tape to separate columns.

Everything written on a sticky note gets put under todo. The high priority notes are placed at the top, medium in the middle, low at the bottom. Work the board from right to left every morning - in progress > todo. If something is stuck in progress for a reason like "awaiting part", it moves into todo.

I try to create sticky notes based on a few hours worth of work, that way nothing is too big and you'll be able to complete things in a logical way, yet feel fulfilled your making progress
I didn't notice you mentioning dependencies, or the estimating process, or how you know what the schedule will be, (when will it get done, or rather, how much will be done by the supposed end date?) or if you have multiple resources, is everything single thread?

OK, it's a boat project, not a new data center, so no sense in getting overboard on the management side, but, and not wanting to sound critical, this is pretty much a glorified list, it is not a project plan.

In the development world project planning has mostly given way to hackathons and to-do lists.
Old 25-08-2019, 13:08   #84

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I didn't notice you mentioning dependencies, or the estimating process, or how you know what the schedule will be, (when will it get done, or rather, how much will be done by the supposed end date?) or if you have multiple resources, is everything single thread?

OK, it's a boat project, not a new data center, so no sense in getting overboard on the management side, but, and not wanting to sound critical, this is pretty much a glorified list, it is not a project plan.

In the development world project planning has mostly given way to hackathons and to-do lists.
You can use project management tools like critical path method, schedules, tasks, ressources, agile techniques, six sigma black belt quality management, canban techniques, mind maps, etc. But if you are the only resource doing the work DIY, than you do not need a manager supervising you doing the work. Any time spent in project management of your time is time lost on the project.

Of course you have deadlines, e. G when you have to leave the marina because of the contract end or when a travel lift is available and you have to be ready for watering... But they are not so many and you will memorize this dates, you don't need a tool except your calendar to track this.

It is a complete different thing if you supervise various companies doing the refit for you and you want to coordinate their work.
Old 25-08-2019, 14:45   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post

This is fascinating! I was also a programmer for a large part of my job and I have ended up doing almost exactly what you have described, but using Trello instead of post-it notes. I did not know there was a name for the technique, but scrum makes a bit of sense on the context.

Have a look at Trello, if you have not already, I think you may like it.
Old 25-08-2019, 15:30   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

Chowdan's approach fits comfortably with me, but I concede it does not do any of the higher-end project management stuff.

However, I found that using Trello I can put the dependencies in each of the lists, and just take a moment to revisit the descriptions of each item at the end of the day when I get home.

This probably would go pear shaped on a bigger project, but as noted by CatNewBee, I am just one person and time spent managing the project is time not spent doing it.

I think the Trello approach, using Chowdan's "scrum" method is about right for me. It addressed my primary concern which was leaving critical lists on the boat or at home, plus it can be configured to look a lot like what I am already used to for smaller programming projects.

If I were employing someone, or otherwise not working alone, I can see the limitations of this approach.
Old 25-08-2019, 15:38   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Stop feeding electronic tools and start doing projects.

First things first, create a working enwironment, means get your tools to the boat, make yourself a workbench and stop doing things in the garage, stay at the boat if possible.

Make a survey what needs to be fixed, use post-it notes around the boat to get the big picture. Priorise what must be done on the dry before watering, and what can be done in the water at the dock. Then what can be done later while living on board and cruising without needing the dock.

Concentrate on the priorities, if some Ressource sets you back, waiting for delivery or for external help, work on the next task. Order the material needed upfront, so that you have it when you need it, but do not order everything at once, to keep storage needs minimal and have space to work on board. You can store stuff not needed immediately in your garage, but better near the boat.

There are projects you'll like and some you'll hate. Try to mix them so you see progress and don't get too frustrated and more motivated. Sometimes a nice to have project achievement makes you happy and motivates you to do the harder stuff.

That is for serious refit. Regarding the shopping list, serial numbers and the like... Use your camera, make a photo of the item with the serial number.

After moving on board I have a A4 paper log book per season, from the front side there is my checklist, travel log with date, time, mileage log, start and destination, crew, time, sog, cog, pos, sails or motors used, weather information, then free text about generator hours, watermaker usage, fuel refills, anchorages, spendings and other note wothy things under way.

From the back side there are some pages reserved for items needed as remainder, then there is a list of broken stuff, things todo and maintenance done, each line has a date, when it was written and a date when it was finished, also a priority mark. Things done are striked through.

I frequently read this list as a remainder and try to tick of some of the points now and then or postpone the fix for the next longer project break after the season. It is also great to see when and what maintenance was done the last time, replaced patrs or quick fixes under way that need a propper fix later etc.
Great list, thank you CatNewBee. I reckon I've ticked a few of the boxes... but some, like moving the tools to the boat, are turning out to be very hard. I do home maintenance work as a side job when I can, and I have to take great care not to end up with tools that I need for a house job sitting on the boat when I need them. And I cannot keep tools in the van for the obvious reasons. (Someone went through it last night as a matter of fact, in my driveway. I leave it unlocked and empty because otherwise you just get a brick through the window or the the locks damaged by some loser who cannot see that it is empty.)

As for moving to the boat... I wish. Unfortunately (or fortunately), my son is staying with me pretty much full time as he finishes his year 12, so I have to be home each afternoon. I am helping him with his maths as well as generally providing a calm and studious environment, my last dad-moment before he heads off on his own in the world. (He's already got a shared house planned with his school mates as soon as the exams are done.)
Old 25-08-2019, 16:03   #88

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Well I was a programmer too and I know how important planning is and how the whole program interacts with other parts of the program and the system.

But refurbishing a boats is a about installing/repairing non related systems. I am currently working on the toilet/holding tank but now the days are cold/wet I don't want to do f/g so I am now working on the steering.(Of course neither projects is related)

The steering has taken an enormous amount of research and thought and I am now carefully progressing with the installation. No amount of documentation using Trello, Excel, Gantt Charts, "sticky Notes" is going to help with that installation. The only time I will do any "documentation" is to bookmark relevant articles under appropriate "folders" such as "steering" , "toilet", "bilge pumps" etc on my computer.

If you have to use systems to prioritize the different tasks required to refurbish the boat you have a problem. I agree with CatNewBee "Stop feeding electronic tools and start doing projects.
First things first, create a working enwironment, means get your tools to the boat, make yourself a workbench and stop doing things in the garage, stay at the boat if possible."
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 16:40   #89

Boat: PSC 37 Crealock #149 (RIP)

Emphasis on action is important but had I planned better I may have saved a boat buck several times over. Apologies if mentioned before: read Jack London's Voyage of Snark for insights.
JDGreenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 16:40   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
If you have to use systems to prioritize the different tasks required to refurbish the boat you have a problem. I agree with CatNewBee "Stop feeding electronic tools and start doing projects.
First things first, create a working enwironment, means get your tools to the boat, make yourself a workbench and stop doing things in the garage, stay at the boat if possible."
Perhaps you should read the original description of my situation and you'd see that this advice, although valuable in itself, is not applicable to my situation.

Tags
boat, project, Refurb