Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2019, 13:43   #46

Re: Fiberglass Diesel Fuel Tank

i Have a Baba 35 in Norwalk CT and am looking for a fiberglass pro to build a integral diesel tank to replace my existing steel tank. Anybody have any suggestions?
pbraschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 16:13   #47

Boat: Seafarer36c

Meet me in Rio Dulce, Guatemala about November.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 09:22   #48

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbraschi View Post
i Have a Baba 35 in Norwalk CT and am looking for a fiberglass pro to build a integral diesel tank to replace my existing steel tank. Anybody have any suggestions?
Build a plywood tank, complete with baffles, LARGE cleanout ports, and fitting whatever shape it will fit in. Then, epoxy and fiber glass cloth all the surfaces (best if done individually, before assembling, then joined with easy to reach/clean epoxy fillets at all corners).

Mine is over forty years old, weighs about fifty pounds. It also has easy to install fittings for the plumbing, all using Marine bronze. Several years ago I decided to add an electric fuel gauge (to augment the dipstick measure). I drilled through the tank top and discovered that the plywood core smelled as sweet as the day I built it. Since then I've built several custom tanks for customers. For insurance purposes, these tanks are listed as Cellulose core composite epoxy fiberglass tanks.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 10:03   #49

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Thanks for the response gentleman period I was going to build the tanks at a vinyl Ester when I Bond them together in the boat should I use epoxy? I have eight fittings that need to go in the tank I was going to use brass bulkhead fittings and bed them in and epoxy paste maybe fiberglass over them and drill a hole is this a good idea? Some are on the bottom side of the tank. Also would it be better to use a male or female mold in fabricating the tank
The normal is to go female to male in the direction of flow.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:02   #50

Please Help!

My Beneteau 50 (HULL IDENTIFICATION NUMBER: US-BEY 0M153E191) has dual fuel tanks but I can not find the float access or terminal connection for the fuel gauge. The ignition and gauge panel have a fuel gauge along with the other gauges so it must have a sensor, but I can’t find it.

Please offer any info that might help.
Bright Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:48   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Orange View Post
Please Help!

My Beneteau 50 (HULL IDENTIFICATION NUMBER: US-BEY 0M153E191) has dual fuel tanks but I can not find the float access or terminal connection for the fuel gauge. The ignition and gauge panel have a fuel gauge along with the other gauges so it must have a sensor, but I can’t find it.

Please offer any info that might help.
If you can see the tank top and it's not there then you have no sender. It wouldn't surprise me, some panels are made with gauges that dont get used. Although it would surprise me a bit with a big name like Bene.

The only other thought is it has an external fuel level sensor on the tank outside, usually fore or aft end.. I forget what they are called, but you should see wires for either type if it's there.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:06   #52

Cheechako

Thank you for the quick response. I'd be very surprised if Beneteau installed 2 tanks and a gauge but had no float/sensor installed on a boat this large. I'll check the end of the tanks to see if installed there and i just haven't found it yet.
Thanks again.
Bright Orange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fiberglass, fuel