Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 06:49   #1

fiberglass dodger build with no core?

Saw a very nice dodger build on you tube never seen any one build one with no core be just used 1708 (2 layers). I'm looking to build a dodger and bimini as light as possible. I think this guy's is one of the nicest I've seen and looks pretty easy since I have a soft dodger and can use them patterns. Know it's not super strong but it's gotta be stronger the a canvas dodger. I'm thinking of duplicating this build and just looking to see if any one has seen one done this way and had any input. I've done alot of glass work using 1708 so I know what's involved..

https://youtu.be/Mi2gtvd6hBM?si=dSKuoVV2BtxVkbHD

Here's the link..
Mg451 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:57   #2

Re: fiberglass dodger build with no core?

Why are you opposed to core? Cored fiberglass is much stiffer for the same weight. If you use thin plywood, you can laminate it in situ and avoid the hassle of a mold.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:11   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Thats a nice dodger build, elegantly simple, but I prefer a dodger that I can stand on. My boat is a center cockpit and need to be able to get up to the boom to finish putting the sail away. My dodger top is 3/4 plywood core with 1708 on either side and it easily supports my middle aged sedentary overweight self!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:18   #4

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

More YouTube dodger builds, believe they are both cored:

Free Range Sailing (Living)

Project Atticus
Old Today, 08:19   #5

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran

If your main objective is to make it as light as possible, a foam cored would be lighter…
massnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:48   #6

I was looking at free range sailings dodger too. I like the idea of no core bc I can easily bend and make rounded contours plus I don't need to by core material and with no core would be less weight less epoxy wet out to I'd assume. Looks like people use ylthe hone depot foam I'd think that would delimitation easily and quickly. I've done my deck recore using corecell.
Old Today, 08:52   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mg451 View Post
Saw a very nice dodger build on you tube never seen any one build one with no core be just used 1708 (2 layers). I'm looking to build a dodger and bimini as light as possible. I think this guy's is one of the nicest I've seen and looks pretty easy since I have a soft dodger and can use them patterns. Know it's not super strong but it's gotta be stronger the a canvas dodger. I'm thinking of duplicating this build and just looking to see if any one has seen one done this way and had any input. I've done alot of glass work using 1708 so I know what's involved..

https://youtu.be/Mi2gtvd6hBM?si=dSKuoVV2BtxVkbHD

Here's the link..
Go to the web site for US composites. Use 635 THIN 2:1 epoxy. If you want light weight use their carbon fiber cloth. Best epoxy prices and excellent materials. Always use their pumpers for measuring. They sell in 2:1 kits by small quantities up to gallons. Non hazardous shipping. No amine blush and very slow cure for easy working. Excellent wet out. They sell all kinds of resin, fillers, fabric. This is the only source I use for all my builds and repairs. Far superior to We$t.

https://www.uscomposites.com/?gad_source=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8082.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	293562  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:00   #8

Boat: Morgan 382

I don't really understand the reasoning of a "hard" dodger that is so flimsy you still need a SS frame (glassed in so it will rust) and that you plan you might have to remove in a storm.

It is a really easy construction technique. Consider this. Buy some 1/2" / 13mm foam board. Cut it and bend it to the frame the same way. Glue the pieces together. Fill gaps with spray foam and shape the corners. Once it is dry, remove it from the boat and take it back to you shop. Glass both the inside and outside. Mostly the same process. Finished it will look the same, and it will be stronger.
Old Today, 09:07   #9

The "hard dodger" here appeals to me bc I don't need to stand on mine and my canvas dodger has survived 60knots 6k miles and waves..but the canvas dodger rots and degrades it leaks water and zippers fail seams rip etc.this dodger ill call " semi hard" seems to fit the bill super easy elegant and a step above canvas. ?
Old Today, 09:11   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I don't really understand the reasoning of a "hard" dodger that is so flimsy you still need a SS frame (glassed in so it will rust) and that you plan you might have to remove in a storm.

It is a really easy construction technique. Consider this. Buy some 1/2" / 13mm foam board. Cut it and bend it to the frame the same way. Glue the pieces together. Fill gaps with spray foam and shape the corners. Once it is dry, remove it from the boat and take it back to you shop. Glass both the inside and outside. Mostly the same process. Finished it will look the same, and it will be stronger.
Stainless steel does not rust.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:12   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I agree with suggestions to add in stiffeners and mold around them. Very small addition and insignificant weight. Use the carbon fiber I suggested above and it will bounce bullets and weigh 1/4 of glass. Easier to handle and a huge increase in strength and stiffness.
Old Today, 09:16   #12

Talking Re: fiberglass dodger build with no core?

Can any one attest to longevity on the home depot foam core? Does it deaminate once flexed or impacted or crushed? The core cell foam core( the only kind I've used) is way different then the home depot foam board.
Old Today, 09:21   #13

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Stainless steel does not rust.
Yes, it does, especially when encapsulated. Ever seen coated lifelines rust? And dodger frames are often 304 stainless.
Old Today, 09:28   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Please please read my posts. Get your materials from US Composites. All of it. They make stuff specifically for marine manufacturing. They are economical and high quality.

And YES - metals corrode in composite structures. They swell and burst their surroundings. Aluminum is especially bad. SS will brown stain everything. Holly box structures using foam cut to shap is permanent and very strong. This isn’t rocket science and the mistakes are well known and documented. You need not repeat them.
Old Today, 09:59   #15

Boat: 1973 Whitby 42 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Please please read my posts. Get your materials from US Composites. All of it. They make stuff specifically for marine manufacturing. They are economical and high quality.

And YES - metals corrode in composite structures. They swell and burst their surroundings. Aluminum is especially bad. SS will brown stain everything. Holly box structures using foam cut to shap is permanent and very strong. This isn’t rocket science and the mistakes are well known and documented. You need not repeat them.
Hi, I am looking to do the same this but will start with foam board as you suggested. Can you send a link to how a holly box is built and any other standards I should follow. I built my last one with Fiberglass Hex core board and Poly Resin. On my new boat I want to be able to step on it and also incorporate solar panels attached that can swivel up as needed in winter months and I am now using bifacial panels. I doubled the walls to an inch on my last boat and using 1708 and chopped strand on top I was able to get my 235 lb carcass on it to reef sails and tie down the main. I used 1/2 inch on the roof with no problems. I have a ketch so can't have a rear solar array. I thank you in advance for any suggestions, diagrams or sites on how best to do this. I will use the USComposites and Carbon Fiber on this one. Is there a cloth you reccomend with the 635 Thin resin. They are much more reasonable that west systems.
uptickguru is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
core, dodger, fiberglass