Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2010, 11:48   #16

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
Found this:
Replace Leaking Boat Windows with Opening Ports
Not exactly the way I would want to do it but might be a good reference.
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 18:06   #17

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter
Newish owner of a Downeaster 38 here myself. I just plan on replacing the windows with more sturdy ones. SS or Bronze frames, thicker glass, etc. The Downeaster owners site has some good info on replacing the big ports to be more sturdy:

Cabin Window Upgrade « Downeaster Yachts.com

Cabin Window Upgrade-Alternate « Downeaster Yachts.com
Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 18:55   #18

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beersmith View Post
Newish owner of a Downeaster 38 here myself. I just plan on replacing the windows with more sturdy ones. SS or Bronze frames, thicker glass, etc. The Downeaster owners site has some good info on replacing the big ports to be more sturdy:

Cabin Window Upgrade « Downeaster Yachts.com

Cabin Window Upgrade-Alternate « Downeaster Yachts.com
Thanks! I was just reading some of your posts! I hope your projects are going smoothly. By the way, MarkJ is right, that pelican pic really is a classic. I have never seen a pelican with an expession on his face before!

I sent the pics in my original post to a buddy in Ft Pierce that is a FRP pro. His comment was that it would be simple (for him) to do what I want done. So, given what I now know, I wont let deadlights influence my boat purchasing decisions.
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 05:42   #19

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
Thanks! I was just reading some of your posts! I hope your projects are going smoothly. By the way, MarkJ is right, that pelican pic really is a classic. I have never seen a pelican with an expession on his face before!
Just hauled Windsong out yesterday, finally! The labor begins hehe
Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 20:26   #20

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Not so fast ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
We ended up returning four out of the seven teak spacer rings for replacement because the routing was awful and the wood grain had been shredded rather than cut. The portholes themselves are gorgeous and there was no question when we said we wanted replacements for the poor quality wood products.
Two months later: The folks at NewFoundMetals have changed their minds and now say they can not get us better teak spacer rings. That's after we'd waited well over a month while they were supposed to get a new shipment. They try to deflect the poor workmanship by saying that the spacers aren't sold finished.

It's really too bad, the SS work is great but the teak spacers leave a very bad taste especially as they could have told us that two months ago instead of stringing us along.

-Sven
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Torn teak grain.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	18165  
Old 02-08-2010, 21:02   #21
cruiser

I've been using fibreglass sheets cut from wrecked fibreglass boats, to avoid the expense of laying up the works myself. A friend is using parts cut from a fibreglass crew cab, to build herself a dodger, for a fraction the expense and work of laying up the whole thing from scratch. It also gives her one already smooth surface.
There is plenty of it around, and it can be used for everything from modifications, to solid dodgers, to icebox liners..
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:06   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Sven, perhaps you could take one of the good trim rings to a local woodworker, and just tell them "I need xx copies in teak" ? It shouldn't be that hard to get done here. Doubtless more expensive, but readily done.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:12   #23

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Sven, perhaps you could take one of the good trim rings to a local woodworker, and just tell them "I need xx copies in teak" ? It shouldn't be that hard to get done here. Doubtless more expensive, but readily done.
We could actually do it ourselves too and I've considered that option. First I'll try just saturating the "hairs" with varnish and see if that will make them firm enough to be sanded down. Since the torn fibers go beneath what should have been the cut edge we might end up with a less than optimal profile but we'll see if it can be made good enough.

Thanks for the suggestion.

-Sven (who didn't want to hijack the thread, just correct my earlier praise)

Tags
fiberglass