Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2019, 13:56   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Fiberglassed PVC as Solar Arch

Of course you ca do it. Our boats are glass. Understanding the relative strengths, I suggest a larger diameter for starters. Double the diameter will give 4X the section rigidity. Use carbon fiber with the fibers at 45 degrees to the long centerline. Stitchmat would be better.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 14:43   #17

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
If you watched how my SS arch moves under the weight of my panels, the idea of anything lesser strength might be less appealing. If I had seen it, I would have built it with more beef.

After watching it sway back and forth day after day on a long passage, I finally took 2 ratchet straps and made an X between the uprights. Instant rigidity.
Obviously poorly engineered. By adding the straps you learned an important lesson about the use of diagonals. This is important regardless of the material used. The problem with using ss for these types of structures is that it is heavy and concentrated way aft so people often use too small tube. Imho aluminum is a better choice because at about 1/3rd of the weight you can use larger diameter tube for much more stiffness and less weight. Panels are heavy, My recently purchased 400 watt panel is nearly 50lb. Obviously 1" tube of any material is too small. A lot of people don't want to use diagonals because they may be in the way, larger tube and trying to angle the legs etc can help with rigidity.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 15:32   #18

Boat: Volkscruiser

I have used PVC pipe to make toe rails on our yacht and a large radiused edge on solid Bimini. It works well as you instantly get that sexy radius that separates the pros from the amateurs.
I would not make a solar arch though, instead I would be looking for a used one I could modify.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 16:13   #19

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I would use a larger diameter pipe.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, fiberglass, solar