Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2008, 13:48   #16

Boat: Mariner 32 ketch- Independence
Scot,
I'm on San Juan Island. Nice boats those Ingrids. I was considering one that was for sale in Anacortes last year ( a project ) for $20k but ended up with the Mariner, a major project. There's a beautiful example of an Ingrid "Ingrid Princess" at Shipyard Cove Marina next to Jensens where I keep my San Juan 24.
Dan
San Juan Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 15:36   #17

No and No. Glass has a habit of delaminating from wood. A lot of people have thought they could solve that problem, just walk though a large marina with old boats and you'll see the result. If you've even seen the mess when Epoxy goes bad on a toe rail or bulwark cap... you'll realize it's almost unfixable....unless you dont care how it looks. Proper paint will outlast varnish dramatically. The pigment protects the finish. No easy answers though for a painted surface...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 15:48   #18

Absolutly agree with Cheechako. I have a wooden boat shipwright friend who tried an epoxy finish on his cap rail on one side, and a good varnish on the other. The expoxy lasted longer but when it did fail, it was a nightmare to get off to refinish.

I painted the top of my bowsprit two years ago with EasyPoxy (other sides varnished), and except where I nicked it, it looks almost like it's just been painted. Varnish would never hold up that way. The only downside to painting other than aesthetics, is (as mentioned earlier) you can't see what's going on underneath. It's a trade off.

Scot
jaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 15:52   #19

Jaga-

You might run into our friends Randal and Jessica on their boat Alastor; a very nice couple from San Diego. I think they just went to Roche from Friday Harbor. I used to live up near America Camp; beautiful place!

If you run into them, tell them Eric and Charlotte from San Diego say hello!
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 16:17   #20

I'll look for them. What kind of boat is Alastor? Will make looking easier...

And, where in San Diego? I grew up there.

Scot
jaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 19:48   #21

Boat: Perry 41, Rhapsody...
Just sold a Cheoy Lee Offshore 27 (two boats is one too many) with the original spruce mast, boom, and spinnaker pole. All were varnished, with SPAR varnish. Spar varnish is more flexible, albeit a bit softer, to compensate for mast movement and flexing. It also has more UV protectants than an interior varnish would require, for obvious reasons.

Epoxying the mast offers no benefit that I can ascertain, but if you need to remove it, you'll rue the day...
caprhap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 20:24   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprhap View Post
Epoxying the mast offers no benefit that I can ascertain, but if you need to remove it, you'll rue the day...
Sealing the wood from moisture is a pretty good reason in my opinion. Paint does that as well, but paint can flake off as where a penetrating epoxy is going to be substantially more solid (and then there's paint on top of that).

And if you do manage to get rot, it certainly will not spread nearly as far or as fast with epoxied wood.

I don't know a lot of people who voluntarily are getting wooden spars these days. I have one that's (now, after $7K in repairs) in great shape. It's epoxied and painted, and getting ready to go back on the boat.

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a nice aluminum spar that's a few feet higher than my existing, so I can get a little more oomph out of her and drop some weight. When I find that, I'll drop the wooden stick, replacing my standing rigging in total, and never look back.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 20:29   #23

I'd love a wooden spar if I had the money to make someone else take care of it for me. But I don't, and if I had that kind of money I'm sure I could find some ways to spend it...

I *would* like to see what the radar refelection of a wood spar with aluminum foil inside it is compared to an aluminum spar.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote