Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2020, 16:44   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Fiddles that double as hand-holds.

Hi all,

I've been looking at my options for fiddles. There seem to be two approaches, something just big enough to stop stuff falling on the floor, or something quite tall, with enough room for a hand-hold.

I like the hand-hold idea, but wonder how cumbersome it makes it to use the surface that is surrounded by such a tall fiddle.

Any rule of thumb people can share, or perhaps photos of setups that worked for you?

Ta,

Matt
Old 29-08-2020, 17:41   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Fiddles that double as hand-holds.

Hate to go all pedantic about this but.....

IMO, fiddles should be sized to the expected centre of gravity of the stuff being retained. If the stuff is expected to remain solid, then gaps are accepted for the purposes of cleaning but if the stuff can become liquid, the gaps should be a minimum (at the most).

The other option is to size the fiddles on aesthetic values only - and there is nothing wrong with that approach.

Finally, if the fiddle can serve two purposes, that can only be a good thing, if the handhold is truely functional that is - IMO.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 18:24   #3

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Hi Matt

I have fiddles on my bookshelf just like this to stop books falling out. (the fiddle can be removed/raised to get at things behind)

I have a fiddle around the table but I think that is more aesthetic than useful. I think handholds need to be quite robust and bolted in place rather than screwed (like the one I have installed in the foreground. (See photo of main cabin below)

I you want both handholds/fiddle maybe you should consider ss rod?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-08-30 IMG_0983.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	222243  
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 18:43   #4

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

One should consider the loads involved, and the ability of the "substrate" (i.e. the surface to which the handhold/fiddle is attached) to withstand that load. For example, a table fiddle is probably attached with a bit of glue and perhaps a couple of dowels. Unlikely to hold a 200# man loosing his balance. Often better to separate the functions -- fiddle on the table, handhold on the ceiling.

I have used nice handholds to protect things. For example, a robust handhold next to our bulkhead mounted TV to give a person something ready-at-hand to grab other than the TV.

That said, there are probably instances where a fiddle/handhold makes great sense, just needs some thought.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 18:57   #5

I have to agree with you in regard to loads involved and the importance of mounting hand holds solidly.

I would have no problem using the ss post and tube to keep in place binoculars, gloves, compass etc but unless the posts were mounted very securely I would never rely on the fiddle to hold a a50lb person.

Old 29-08-2020, 19:07   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

There is always someone going off-topic and here I am .

Not a picture of fiddles, rather one of hand holds. The SS tram-bar one was one of the best modifications I carried out IMHO. It also doubled as towel rack!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hand holds.jpeg
Views:	323
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	222246  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 04:49   #7

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Geez guys, I have to bring you back on track a little here.

This is a photo of the sort of thing I am wondering about. The photo is cropped from a larger photo on facebook, from the interior of a very impressive NZ yacht with serious blue-water credibility. Seeing this setup on such a boat reminded me that this was something I was considering for this boat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	108409716_10217305781222093_2868268721272597827_o.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	222264  
Old 30-08-2020, 05:20   #8

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Geez guys, I have to bring you back on track a little here.

This is a photo of the sort of thing I am wondering about. The photo is cropped from a larger photo on facebook, from the interior of a very impressive NZ yacht with serious blue-water credibility. Seeing this setup on such a boat reminded me that this was something I was considering for this boat.
Yes, we made our fiddles beefier as extra hand holds, basically through out the interior. I think they work well and so did Bruce Bingham (designer of our boat) when he was on our boat. Even though they are "hidden", he saw them immediately.

The pic provided by Wotname of the hand holds looks like a very nice layout that is very functional. They are great hand holds if you near the cabin sides and can get to them. IMO. the hand holds going out the companionway are somewhat mandatory.

The cabinet type fiddle edges/holds tend to be in the middle of the boat and can be easily used as you make you way through the cabin. This is especially nice for shorter people, that don't have long arms.

We've been on newer boats with relatively no hand holds in the main cabin, except on the cabin top. Great for me, but I was the only one that could use them. In these cases, the cabinet fiddle hand holds would have been a welcomed addition and much better than no hand holds at all.

Aesthetically, I don't care for the little hand cut outs in the trim, but that's a personal thing. I've made them before on a previous boat and didn't think the extra effort to make the cut outs was any more functional than just sold trim.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 05:42   #9

Handholds incorporated in the galley fiddles is functional and looks good.

I've got hand holds in the companionway steps as well as double handholds on each side of the steps (attached to the bulkhead)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2020-08-30 IMG_0836.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	222265  
Old 30-08-2020, 06:02   #10

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

These fiddles are low, wide, continuous, and very strong. They get used as hand holds constantly. Works great.

They would be even better with a shallow "finger recess" machined along the inside edge. A pass or two through a table saw or router table prior to installation would have been easy.

Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 06:45   #11

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Good quality picture, nice garden, only 51 engine hours?
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 06:51   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Hi all,

I've been looking at my options for fiddles. There seem to be two approaches, something just big enough to stop stuff falling on the floor, or something quite tall, with enough room for a hand-hold.

I like the hand-hold idea, but wonder how cumbersome it makes it to use the surface that is surrounded by such a tall fiddle.

Any rule of thumb people can share, or perhaps photos of setups that worked for you?

Ta,

Matt
When it gets bouncy, anything is a handhold. Well built boats put fasteners on their fiddles close enough to take the load of a 200-250 lb person who has lost their balance.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 07:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
When it gets bouncy, anything is a handhold. Well built boats put fasteners on their fiddles close enough to take the load of a 200-250 lb person who has lost their balance.

I'm still building my yacht so I'm looking for where I can put hand holds too.

I don't know if Matt can put up overhead handholds but I certainly can. It would spoil the aesthetics to a degree but safety is paramount. Do you think I should put overhead handholds which would be a strip of timber running fore and aft attached to the laminated bearers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2020-08-30 Port side looking aft.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	222268  
Old 30-08-2020, 08:55   #14

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Various sizes drawer pulls work very well as fiddles on my salon tableClick image for larger version

Name:	B56C68BE-DFFE-4B25-B234-85A6B6384DE2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	222274
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 09:11   #15

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
Good quality picture, nice garden, only 51 engine hours?
Old picture.

7 or 8 hundred hours currently.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote