Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2007, 09:27   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Sean, I'd also only suggest a filled epoxy. Filled with pretty much anything stable, clean sand, microspheres (hey, you might want to race<G>), anything bulky cheap and impermeable. Throw in some glitter if you REALLY want to confuse the next owner.<VBG>

The cement-based fillers will always hold moisture (cement has a high water content) and never bond really well, so there's another "crevice" under them. Polyester resin *might* bond well enough since this is not structural--I'd chance it only if a supplier guaranteed it would.

There are also some floor filling/sealing compounds that are hard to find, something like an acrylic casting resin used to seal over fancy floors like the resin you see on some bars and restaurant tables? I don't know if that's suitable for damp places, or if that's any better/worse than just buying polyester resin.<G> It won't be any easier to find.

If you can trim the boat stern-down before you start (really HEAVILY down) then when you are finished, the "flat" surfaces will have a slant slant to them--and drain forward. Or trim bow-down if you need the spaces to trim to the stern, whichever.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:33   #17

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Sean you don't mention the dimensions of the void or the ease of access. Since weight is a concern maybe you could tab in a "lip" to create a dam to just divert the water around the void? Glassed in and painted with a barrier coat it should do the trick.

Wouldn't even have to be closed on top unless you wanted it so. As long as the joint between the hull and the "dam" surrounding the void opening is watertight and tall enough for any normal angle of heel it would stay dry & ventilated like the rest of the bilge. No worries about trapped moisture, etc.

Could be an additional dry storage spot for infrequently used spares, valuables, or whatever. Do you have pictures of the area perhaps?

Old 08-05-2007, 13:24   #18

sean just take card board press it into the cavity gently to take the form and cut to fit, and glass over the same to the angle you need to get it to drain to the sump. i forgot the simple stuff. thanks for reminding me people. this is not a complicated isssue (no sarcasm intended). you don't need to use epoxy you 'll have a hard time painting over it without prep. all you need is polyester resin. you can even use unwaxed and then paint itafter a day or two . the paint will get right into the resin. don't sand as it will only plug the paper. wait for it to kick then paint. your done.
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge