Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2020, 19:31   #1

Boat: Peterson, Sloop, 34'
Finally hauling out!

As a San Francisco boat, I was/am denied Live Aboard. Six years of ownership, I've never found an honest Live Aboard slip.

That truth has limited my boat work ability, and income.

Anyway.. After all these years I finally have an affordable replacement Propeller (A MaxProp classic). Buying a Transducer for my Garmin 741xs.. But before I schedule the Haul out?

I need to investigate Paint!

What kind? I guess this includes what's there now!? [emoji44]

All I know about my bottom paint is... The guy sanded it, Slathered it on.. And I'm told allowed it to sit on the hard for weeks beyond the recommended splash time..

I'm hoping that's a clue to what's on it now! Stuff definitely grows on it, but it's still a good coat! (I've dove on it myself)

What could be painted over that, for a working ablative?

As well as... How much would I need for two coats, and a waterline third? She's 34' X 11', but only 28' of that is in the water. Plus keel and Rutter.

She's a 1977 Peterson 34.

Obviously a thorough sanding would be done, but not all the way to the glass.
Vancefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:33   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Finally hauling out!

Good morning, Vancefish.

Bottom paint is darned tricky. Unless there happens to be a supplier on the forum, my recommendation is that you identify the stuff you've got and then talk to one of the suppliers such as International. Then, unless you feel confident that you can meet the professional instructions precisely, find a painter who can. That's not to say that you should not do it yourself, just that you consider the instructions to be gospel writings. No cutting corners.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:56   #3

Boat: Cal 33-2
Re: Finally hauling out!

The short answer is that unless some strange paint was used before, you will probably not have problems applying any quality ablative on top. Ask what works best in your area. I am a fan of the Pettit paints like Horizon and Ultima, but there are other good ones.

I need about a gallon for one coat on my 33 footer with similar waterline and beam.