Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2022, 10:52   #46

Re: Finish work destroyed. How to remove epoxy mess?

I always get a bit of a sinking feeling when a posting regarding this particular boat arrives. It seems that something about the nature of these postings elicits some critical responses from some forum members. Perhaps the critical responses are not helpful in regard to the initial query, or perhaps they are, but the replies to these responses often contain direct insults, which are certainly not appropriate or necessary. As a member more interested in technical boat issues than personality clashes, and ego struggles, I would suggest that this forum is not the place for such written exchanges.

Regards,

Limte
limte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 12:27   #47

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by limte View Post
I always get a bit of a sinking feeling when a posting regarding this particular boat arrives. It seems that something about the nature of these postings elicits some critical responses from some forum members. Perhaps the critical responses are not helpful in regard to the initial query, or perhaps they are, but the replies to these responses often contain direct insults, which are certainly not appropriate or necessary. As a member more interested in technical boat issues than personality clashes, and ego struggles, I would suggest that this forum is not the place for such written exchanges.

Regards,

Limte
Very well put. I could not agree more. Thank you.

I hesitate to make work for the moderators by reporting these direct insults, so I just take them on by myself while trying to stay within forum rules even as the attacker breaks the forum rules.

I appreciate that you can see this and have pointed it out.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 12:48   #48

Perhaps you misunderstood my last post; I was actually referring to your replies, which not infrequently resort to name calling.

Regards,
Limte
limte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 12:59   #49

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by limte View Post
Perhaps you misunderstood my last post; I was actually referring to your replies, which not infrequently resort to name calling.

Regards,
Limte
Odd. I misinterpreteded your post in the same way that Chotu did. Given the percentage of pointless unconstructive shots his threads seem to attract, I thought he was doing pretty well.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 13:14   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeanda View Post
Odd. I misinterpreteded your post in the same way that Chotu did. Given the percentage of pointless unconstructive shots his threads seem to attract, I thought he was doing pretty well.
Right? Just chalk this guy up to another one. He just came in here and insulted me also. Very carefully.

He did i it to pile on after the previous guy that I hired a vagrant off the street. And I’m getting what I pay for. I mean what kind of insult is that? How do you say that to someone? How do you insult one of our forum members by calling them a bum off the street? And then insult me in the same post by saying I got what I paid for. Which is a full-time job for a year for someone with housing including. Or…. As it’s commonly called in the marine works…. Crew.

These people are insane.

A lot of people hate people that actually do things. I think that’s the problem. They get very upset because I’m actually doing something. Meanwhile they’re just sitting home. That’s all I can think of. I’ve noticed that in my life a lot.
Old 11-11-2022, 13:15   #51

Anybody that doesn’t like my threads? Don’t open them. Read something else. If you’re going to respond, respond with something. Not just insults.

Or maybe go outside and get some fresh air. Try to do something with your life.

I know it’s the Internet and all, The forum has rules forbidding personal insults. And I’m going to have to start reporting people that break the rules if it’s going to start piling on like that.
Old 11-11-2022, 14:20   #52
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Moderator Note -

Looks like it is again time to remind everyone of the agreement you made to follow the CF community rules when you joined the CF crew.

The overriding number one rule that governs all posting is -

Be Courteous!

We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again. Our philosophy is that we want Cruisers Forum to be an online reflection of the boating community. Treat each other with respect just as you would on the water.

Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable.

Moderators are volunteers and mostly we prefer to mess about doing boating things and going for a sail, we don't have much patience for anyone who posts in discourteous manner. Rest assured though, we will delete inappropriate posts, close contentious threads and remove the posting privileges from habitual offenders. We don't enjoy doing this but we will do it.

So please don't be that person. Should you have difficulty in refraining from engaging in a word war, let the "ignore" function be your friend.

Please also note - Public discussion about moderation or moderator decisions is not allowed. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned.

The community rules can be read here

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 16:26   #53

Re-finishing Acrylic.
I worked in plastics shop as a kid, when finishing cut edges they would wet sand through the grades and then at the point you would reach for the buffer, they used an oxy torch, the flame is licked over the surface quickly and the remaining scratches just melt out to a superb gloss.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 16:35   #54
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

^^ interesting and handy to know - thanks for posting this info.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 16:58   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redreuben View Post
Re-finishing Acrylic.
I worked in plastics shop as a kid, when finishing cut edges they would wet sand through the grades and then at the point you would reach for the buffer, they used an oxy torch, the flame is licked over the surface quickly and the remaining scratches just melt out to a superb gloss.
Cool idea!
Old 12-11-2022, 22:05   #56
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

The flame treatment on cut edges of acrylic is actually an option from most plastic shops when you order parts cut to size.

I plan to do this on my new pilothouse windows… I guess I’m gonna practice on some scrap first hahaha

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 13:54   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Found a guy on Youtube taking 180 grit to acrylic then a standard blowtorch.

I doubt you can make them look brand new this way, however, it is really neat.

Aboard my vessel less than 2 weeks after I finally replaced a crack hatch cover I had someone stand on top of it.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy, work