Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2022, 01:03   #1

Boat: Carena 36 / Dehler optima 101
Lightbulb Finishing of a Carena 36 - New project

Hello All,

I am very new here, but always looked on this forum for useful info. Now we would like to do the same for other people and may be an inspiration for some of you to start your own project's.

My girlfriend and i bought an almost empty hull of an Carena 36 or Lemstra 36. A very sturdy steel sail yacht. We are now planning to finish this hull to our "dream'' sail yacht. Luckily we have the resources to facilitate this dream.

We now mostly sail in the Netherlands -> north sea, and are planning to sail in Scandinavia -> mostly Norway.

Currently we are working on "de-rusting" the inside of the hull. There has been some water left in the hull in the time the project was standing still. Luckily nothing too serious.

When we are are finished with de-rusting we will 3d scan the hull, this will enable us to draw in the systems and the interior ourselves. We are very skilled with Autocad & Rhino.

Also we would like to make an pilothouse design, same als the Carena 38ft.

I will update this thread regularly for the some of you that would like to follow our progress.

I do the same but then in dutch also:
https://zeilersforum.nl/index.php/fo...-casco#1427918'

And we recently started a youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf5...yXiucES9LiKb7A

Nothing too serious yet. Narration will come in the future, when we are more comfortable speaking.

Greetings from The Netherlands!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1276-min.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	265321   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221001_102821154-min.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	265322  

Name:	IMG_20221001_112158456-min.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	265323  
JurjenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 03:08   #2

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Finishing of a Carena 36 - New project

Jurjen B one thing I would seriously consider doing while you have that empty steel hull and its freshly painted is get it holiday tested and paint thickness tested. I have a Nace coating inspector qualification and I reckon if you had the interior paintwork tested (Even by yourself if you can hire the equipment) will pay big dividends in reduced maintenance as the boat gets older. Also make sure you put a dripless seal on the shaft and have a deck stepped mast on that yacht. Water in the hull and thin paintwork have shortened the life of plenty of steel yachts.
Cheers
Holiday Detectors, Porosity Detectors, Pinhole Testers, Jeepers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 23:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Jurjen B one thing I would seriously consider doing while you have that empty steel hull and its freshly painted is get it holiday tested and paint thickness tested. I have a Nace coating inspector qualification and I reckon if you had the interior paintwork tested (Even by yourself if you can hire the equipment) will pay big dividends in reduced maintenance as the boat gets older. Also make sure you put a dripless seal on the shaft and have a deck stepped mast on that yacht. Water in the hull and thin paintwork have shortened the life of plenty of steel yachts.
Cheers
Holiday Detectors, Porosity Detectors, Pinhole Testers, Jeepers
Hi, Thanks for your suggestion to the holiday dectectors. I will certainly consider this. We will use a drippless shaft seal, we think its a no brainer. And a deck stepped mast was already in the original design. Kind regards.
Old 17-10-2022, 01:52   #4

Ladies & Gentleman, update #1

In the past 2 weeks we have made some progress, we were very buys with “de-rusting” the inside of the hull.
We basically used 3 things to do this job:

-Pneumatic needle hammer
-Grinder with steel brush
-Rust buster
(and some sanding in-between)

First we hit everything with the pneumatic needle hammer, when the surface rust was removed we used Rustbuster as an rust converter. This worked great. We removed the loose paint with an angle grinder, with both vertical and horizontal steel brush. After that we cleaned everything, and started painting. I will paint 1 more layer of primer this upcoming week, then we will measure the thickness of the paint. For the first layer we used almost 10 liters of paint.

This was for us both a relatively big job, but we think one of the most important ones.

Also the 3d scanning went well and we will have an 3d model coming this week.

The video link for the people that are interested:
https://youtu.be/sdJ3OJJkWAQ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20221010_204550135-min.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	265871   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221006_203644567-min.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	265872  

Name:	IMG_20221015_182410430-min.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	265873   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221016_140819529_HDR-min.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	265874  

Name:	IMG_20221009_142349669_HDR-min.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	265875  
Old 17-10-2022, 05:49   #5

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

A friend of mine built a steel yacht and he said he made a BIG mistake by not drilling holes in the "frames" (ribs?) to allow water to drain to the lowest level. He said it was too late to do it as the interior of the hull had been coated with some sort of rust treatment.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2022, 22:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
A friend of mine built a steel yacht and he said he made a BIG mistake by not drilling holes in the "frames" (ribs?) to allow water to drain to the lowest level. He said it was too late to do it as the interior of the hull had been coated with some sort of rust treatment.
Hi Coopec, we will certainly drill some extra holes!
Old 17-10-2022, 22:21   #7

JurJenB what does she look like on the deck? What sort of interior are you thinking? Traditional or more modern?
Cheers
Old 18-10-2022, 01:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
JurJenB what does she look like on the deck? What sort of interior are you thinking? Traditional or more modern?
Cheers
Hi Fore and Aft, attached a picture of the current state of the deck. We already have most of the deck equipment. The previous owner already bought this.

We like both traditional & modern, yes maybe bit weird. We like the interior styling of the new Bestevaer 36, attached a picture (most the classic). When we start drawing we will make the final decision.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20221009_143022561_HDR-min.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	365.0 KB
ID:	265951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bestevaer 36 Modern Aft to Front-min (1).jpg
Views:	80
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	265952  

Name:	Bestevaer 36 Classic Aft to Front-min (1).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	265953  
Old 18-10-2022, 03:03   #9

Jurjenb I like that interior style. Our yacht is just painted white plywood and black Perspex cupboard doors. Quick and easy to build so we could go sailing.
I tell you if the girlfriend stays around until you launch the yacht you might want to put a ring on her finger. She's definitely a keeper.
Cheers
Old 01-11-2022, 02:08   #10

Ladies & Gentleman, update #2

We are currently one (small) step further.
Recently Rozemarijn (my girlfriend) was allowed to lend a 3d scanner at her work, to 3d scan our hull.
This was successful. The scan is exported as mesh file so we can 3d draw in Rhino 6. I have started on drawing the pilothouse so we eventually (in a few weeks) can really start on the interior. We have made 2d drawings from the 3d file so we can easily sketch in a concept interior. Attached a few screenshots of the current pilothouse.

Last weekend a sail enthusiast in the south of Holland has allowed us to make pictures of his Carena 36 and the building plans of his ship, what will help us immensely.

The link of the video for those who are interested:
https://youtu.be/OHFxRHk0eQk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SVMoprheusmetpilothouse1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	266569   Click image for larger version

Name:	SVMoprheusmetpilothouse2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	266570  

Name:	SVMoprheusmetpilothouse3..jpg
Views:	67
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	266571   Click image for larger version

Name:	SVMoprheusmetpilothouse4..jpg
Views:	55
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	266572  

Name:	SVMoprheusmetpilothouse5..jpg
Views:	62
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	266573  
Old 01-11-2022, 02:26   #11

Jurjen,

What a great project!

Good luck, and thanks for bringing us along for the ride!
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:03   #12

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

The interior is lovely. I can see a hard top being an advantage in your waters. I had heaters installed at my helms. I’d pick glass over a flapping canvas anyday. The biggest loss power to sail is nice warm sheltered helm. Looks like you are designing a boat for two. You might try turning a queen sized berth to follow one side of the hull. Keeps real mattress and sheets. The 380 Jenneau an example of this mind you it’s a “scow” bow boat.
Here is a regret in my boat. No sail locker. It’s in the cockpit which sucks. By sacrificing some bow pushing the bed in to one side you might fit a nice sail locker to keep the storm and light air sail. One of the reasons I’m upgrading.
Jimmy Buffet made some awkward too much freeboard boats. What I liked was his 40’ boat was built for 2. The vast majority of good times will just be the two of you
I design boat parts and 3D print them as a hobby. I can make better sheet brakes than you can buy. There are a lot of boat and RV parts in the 3D community and public domaine. European contributors make up the majority. Things like hinges you can’t get anymore and we’re not well made to hunt down. Replacements to nylons ABS rubber already happened so materials are better than ever. An offshore sealed port with twin lense surpasses any traditional cast or stamped metal window. But if you need something silly like a switch panel all marker up in two colours flame proof no worries I’ll toss it in the post.
Good luck, and great gal you got.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 22:03   #13

@letsgetsailing3 @& Rumrace Thanks for your nice comments.
Old 14-11-2022, 09:00   #14

Ladies & Gentleman, A small update this time (#3)

Small side update, of course if we intend to set sail in ~roughly 5 years we need an engine.
A few weeks ago we managed to get ourselves a Reinke M10. It had been sitting for a few years because one of the owners died. We got the boat for almost next to nothing because the current owner really liked our project.
The main reason why we got it is because of the engine, it's a MItsubishi S4L2 with around 80 hours.

First we had to manage to get the boat to our yard, and then we started to clean it out.
Of Course with an engine such as this we really wanted to remove it and try to start it.
We wanted to demolish the boat because of the severe rust issue in the bottom but a wandering brave soul has bought the boat and wants to fix it.

In the last 2 weeks my last hours of daylight were spent on carefully removing everything around the engine. And finally we were ready to remove it and start it. Luckily these engines are not as difficult as we thought and we got it running in an hour. Immediately we noticed that it was not getting any water and we discovered that the impeller broke. After a quick swap it was running fine. We let it run for around 15 minutes. We are very pleased with the engine and it will certainly take us to very nice destinations. After that we put in in a box for storage.

In the meantime we worked some more on the pilothouse, see attached. In the near future we will reveal our 2d/3d interior plan.

The video link for those who are interested:
https://youtu.be/3B0eDZysluQ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pilothouse 13-11-22.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	267416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pilothouse  2 13-11-22.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	267417  

Name:	Pilothouse  3 13-11-22.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	267418  
Old 14-11-2022, 16:24   #15

JurjenB I am not normally a YouTube watcher, but that video was interesting. Reminds me of the crazy things the wife and I use to do when we were young.
The Reinke does not look too bad. I have seen rustier yachts restored to good condition.
Cheers

Tags
project