Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2022, 08:56   #1

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57
Fix, sell, or scrap?

Story time. I have a 76 Columbia 9.6 that I have done a lot to. Winches, flexofold prop, halyards, woodwork, all raymarine electronics including autopilot and plotter, spinnaker, blocks and traveler, as well as some glass work on the rudder and hull. At this point im mostly doing fiddly things with it and im considering replacing the cabin sole.

A few years ago, the guy in the slip next to me had a 83 Hunter 37c. The cutter Cherubini design. I grew up on one and spoke to him about it often. At one point, his life changed and he had to sell the boat fast or donate it. I talked to my dad, and we gave him 1k for it. On the exterior at least, it was clean. He had started some projects, and executed poorly some others.

It has soft decks forward of the shrouds on both sides, as well as the cockpit.

Hydraulic autopilot doesn't work.

Sails are original, and shot.

Furler was damaged beyond repair by the boatyard and tossed.

Engine needs motor mounts, and probably thorough checks, but it does start and run normally.

PO replaced tanks with plastic, but braced them with poorly cut pine 2x4s and construction adhesive.

Electrical system is a joke, everything is loose, nothing is mounted or secured including battery bank selector and breaker panel. Some wood rot under the cockpit where it will be extra fun to access.

A section of the 1/4" teak and Holly sole was removed from the cabin to turn the starboard seat into a permanent berth. This was crap and was immediately removed.

He replaced the cleats on the mast so poorly that the bottom of the cleats don't touch the mast. There seems to be numerous leaks allowing water into the boat from the deck.

All hoses should probably not be trusted.

I'm terribly fond of the design and how well the boat does in a blow (the one I grew up on anyhow) and a larger boat has been something I've wanted to use again.

However, I'm afraid this one might be a money pit on the level of a wood boat. I'm curious to hear what others opinions might be. My dad is preparing to retire and go liveaboard on his Jeanneau 58.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 13:08   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Fix, sell, or scrap?

I can't be encouraging. If you can see that much work that needs to be done, realize that three times that actually needs to be done. You'll be repalcing parts at retail price, and using all your sailing hours working on it. I suspect that you have plenty of projects to keep you busy on non-sailing days with your current boat.

You're a special case of a familiar problem. The usual is a newbie with a limited budget who wants to buy or has bought a boat that he can fix up. It ends up costing more than a sailable boat of the same model, because the owner reduced the price when he saw how much the repairs would cost, and it takes up all the time that he needed to be using to learn to sail. Bad deal. You got the boat for next to nothing and you have a boat to sail. But, in less you can afford to work on it full time, no.
Old 08-03-2022, 13:27   #3

Your time might be better spent sailing your Columbia, than restoring a wreck... unless you need a new winter project. If you're able to dispose of the stripped hull cheaply, you might double your money by stripping and selling everything useable off of that Hunter (engine, mast, hardware, lead ballast).
Lake-Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 13:22   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I'm going to be a wee bit confronting here, because what I'm seeing with this is not only a boat question. I think you're thinking you've been offered an "easy" way to wind up "upgraded" to the much more spacious Hunter. Maybe even to the extent of sort of trying to catch up with your dad?

So, what I think you need to consider is both your age, and your state in life generally. What are your plans for your future? If you get clear on that, then the boat decision should become more straightforward, because time is like money, you can only spend it in one place at a time. And, unless you really enjoy repairing the Hunter, your time might be better spent sailing. If you have the skills, and can reasonably fix up the Hunter, then you could turn your two boats into the cruising boat of your dreams, if that is your ultimate plan, and it could be a worthy way to gain your goals. It all depends on your goals and how realistic they are, plus how much you enjoy the labor, or its results.

Ann
Old 09-03-2022, 15:26   #5

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

I think the deck issues are the last straw. I could easily pick away at the rest of the issues over time, but tearing up 20' or more of deck and losing a sailing season, along with all the other costs is probably going to be a bit too much. The sails and furler alone are a third of the value of the boat in good condition.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:17   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I noted the deck issue as being one of the bigger items on your list. There's been a lot of discussion of how to correct that condition here on the forum. It involves ripping out the overhead in the cabin - major surgery, if you like.

I'm sorry. There are other Hunter 37s on the market. This one probably would be cheaper to get sailing than yours.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...ni-37-7862769/
Old 10-03-2022, 06:11   #7

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest Lakes View Post
I think the deck issues are the last straw. I could easily pick away at the rest of the issues over time, but tearing up 20' or more of deck and losing a sailing season, along with all the other costs is probably going to be a bit too much. The sails and furler alone are a third of the value of the boat in good condition.
Way to step back and get a good prospective of the project. Not all can do it.

Helped a friend repair his deck core on a 41' and it's a can of worms. It was a lot of work and uncovered more problems that were caused by the overall upkeep neglect by the PO.

Can it be done, sure. There are lots of other better boats out there that will come along, just be patient. Think it would be a lot more fun helping your dad sail the Jeanneau 58, than rip out rotted core material.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 08:07   #8

Boat: Formosa 41

Never scrap a sailboat is my opinion
They are to hard to find for project boats
and to many people looking for them
Fiberglass never dies
toerail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 09:57   #9

Boat: Freedom 38

Suggest you watch the last 5 years of Sail Life with Mads ("Oh Glorious Sanding") and Eva. I think working on boats like this are kinda fun because you learn so much and won't be afraid to just try anything, but if you don't have infinite time and money and would rather sail than do boat projects, then please don't drop down this rabbit hole. Free boats are a-plenty any time you want to go looking for them....
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote