Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2015, 17:59   #16

Boat: Maxim, Voyage 380
Re: fixing hairline cracks in gelcoat

Normally, the cracks are all the way in the glass and will require glass repair.

Normally, the only time you have cracks in the gelcoat is from when the boat was built and starts to show with in a year or so. This is caused when they sprayed the mold, to much gel was applied in a area. Remember, gelcoat is the very first thing done to a boat when being built. Normally you will see these cracks around areas like hatches or where bends are.

If the boat is older, you will probable will fixing a stress crack in the glass.

Still, it's not hard and something every boat owner should tackle.
Adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 20:26   #17

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Still, it's not hard and something every boat owner should tackle.
I call bull on that. Yes, it is important, yes if you are a DIY boat owner you need to learn, but it is tedious and time consuming.

If you have to fix the glass, it is probably because you have to replace the core. If you have left a proper bevelled edge, you need to chip out the core from around that edge until you get to solid. Maybe it will just scoop out when it is completely rotted, like the instructions say, but if you caught it early, you will be chipping out wet core partially encased in epoxy. And everyone tells you you can get the end cut balsa anywhere, but it turns out that you probably need to order it online. As for that whole thing about lifting off the top skin to re-use, that will only work if your boat has already completely delaminated. I guess you could just wait until your boat falls apart, but I prefer not to.

And no one ever talks about what to do if the issues are right at the edge, such as with leaks from poorly bedded stanchions toe rails. All of the books, videos and instructions pretend like decks leak in the middle, where there isn't any hardware. So, in the end, you just have to make a choice of techniques and run with it.
Old 03-12-2015, 21:19   #18
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I agree with that, but it's not the wax that makes it change color as it ages, it's the hardener that does that. I always try to use the least amount of hardener for the temp outside.

Agreed. But the wax certainly does make a difference as well. As does any accelerant like Patch-Aid.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:47   #19

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Sure does. I find that if you acteone wipe every so often with a very wet rag while grinding, it makes the crack much more visible while it's wet. Many times I have seen an owner who swore the cracks were "just cosmetic" grind them out, staying just in the gel, and then claim "look, the cracks are gone". Then I 'tone wipe and their jaw drops. Soon as the 'tone evaporates, crack is invisible again. But blatantly obvious when wet.
Great trick. Will use it in future, thanks.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:04   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Adrenaline.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 19:17   #21
Marine Service Provider

Hi, I'm from MagicEzy and my intention is to provide you with information which may help you repair Hairline (stress) cracks in a quick and easy way.

MagicEzy Hairline Fix was purposely developed as a DIY repair solution for stress cracks in gelcoat and fiberglass.

Here are some before and after photos showing a repair of damage very similar to yours:

Image source: Bayliner Owners Club - BOC Forum - Topic: Crazing repair before and after (1/2)

If you have any questions about MagicEzy, I'm more than happy to help?
MagicEzyCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 02:32   #22
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicEzyCS View Post
Hi, I'm from MagicEzy and my intention is to provide you with information which may help you repair Hairline (stress) cracks in a quick and easy way.

MagicEzy Hairline Fix was purposely developed as a DIY repair solution for stress cracks in gelcoat and fiberglass.

Here are some before and after photos showing a repair of damage very similar to yours:

Image source: Bayliner Owners Club - BOC Forum - Topic: Crazing repair before and after (1/2)

More info about Hairline Fix here: MagicEzy Hairline Fix | MagicEzy

If you have any questions about MagicEzy, I'm more than happy to help?

Can we get some pics of repairs a few years down the line?

Old 18-12-2015, 16:24   #23

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Yes, please. Otherwise it looks maybe just a tad too magical & easy.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 06:26   #24

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Simply stress cracks in the gel?
I scratch out/clean w acetone andfill with tinted Marine-Tex.
Buff out lightly w/acetone dampened wipe. to remove surface smear before setting. Done!

Two seasons on and still great. No chip out, further cracking or break-out.. All this in a stressed area where ya step down from cabin top to anti-skid on coaming.

HTH,
Paul
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 22:42   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I too would love to see updated photos in a few years time. We're very confident that MagicEzy products provide a very durable and long-lasting repair, which is why we offer a generous 3 year durability guarantee.
MagicEzyCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 09:07   #26
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicEzyCS View Post
I too would love to see updated photos in a few years time. We're very confident that MagicEzy products provide a very durable and long-lasting repair, which is why we offer a generous 3 year durability guarantee.

Product has been around for quite a while-no pics at all of any repairs after a few years?

Does the guarantee only cover replacing more product? What exactly are you guaranteeing, and what exactly will you provide in the case of a product failure?

Old 23-12-2015, 13:25   #27

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Quote:
Product has been around for quite a while-no pics at all of any repairs after a few years?

Does the guarantee only cover replacing more product? What exactly are you guaranteeing, and what exactly will you provide in the case of a product failure?
Sad that the person promoting a product wants to see images from previous repairs from years ago, yet they lack the testing of this or do not want to show the fixes from tests they have done during development.

If it was my company or product that i was selling, this would be tested BEFORE the product is launched to the public. Seems like it would be a cheaper and more self selling product if i could show not just instant fix but a year or two later fix....
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 15:36   #28

Boat: Northstar 8020

This sh#t sounds incredible! i guess us boat "fixer-uppers" are done for then?
Igotnuthin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gelcoat