Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2016, 09:45   #16

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'
Re: Flakey paint and old mildew in our lockers, grease on teak.

Our 35 year old boat hadn't been cleaned in well over a decade and has many many lockers so I needed a cheap, ahem, cost effective (though probably not too nautical) solution.

Vacuum really well, this will save using rags to pick up flakes. (1 gal shop vac is one of my most used items ever)

Spray with clorox and water solution as strong as you can stand the smell. Let it sit - go have a coffee. Upon return respray and start at the oily/greasy bits with a scrubby. Then remove liquids and solids with shop rags til you're satisfied. Go have a coffee while it dries.

I used a mildew inhibiting primer - there are many out there, I used Kilz but they're probably all the same. Then final coat of pure white latex.

As I say, not nautical. But after 6 months no new mildew and I can wipe everything clean and also have the added benefit of being able to see what's in the locker because of the ultra white paint.

Good luck and congrats on your boat!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:55   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Kilz works and I've been trying to determine why the oil based Kilz wouldn't be a good bilge paint, or at least for lazarette, anchor chain locker etc?
I have painted ceilings in a house with the water based Kilz, made any water stains etc real easy to cover and match color.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:09   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

maybe try this, oxygen bleach, environmentally safe. It was recommended to me to clean the deck on my house. Mixed with some dawn dishwasher detergent and borax as a degreaser. I have just ordered some, still waiting on delivery
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007L...ords=oxy+boost
Or this
Stain Solver Oxygen Bleach
I bought the oxy boost because it was a little cheaper but still only had the 2 ingredients. But go to the stain solver web site and check out the before and after pictures. There's a couple examples of teak tables, sails, curtains, clothing, said to remove mold from decks, roofs, siding, etc. I'll let you know how it works for me.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:47   #19

Quote: " oxygen bleach..."

"Oxy-Boost" is merely sodium perchlorate with marketing added. Intrinsically less effective for the purpose under consideration than "household bleach"

As for what it is, and what it is "free of":
  • organic
  • biodegradable
  • non-toxic
  • fragrance free
  • dye free
  • sulfate free
  • phosphate free
  • soy free
  • dairy free
  • gluten free
Well - of course it is! This sort of marketing fluff should be a big red flag that somebody is after your money. Soy free??? Dairy free??? Gluten free??? I should think so! Sodium perchlorate DESTROYS such organic matter. That's why we use it for cleaning!

For the present purpose you'll get just as much cleaning power from a three-dollar bottle of household bleach as you'll get from a fifty-dollar bucket of "Oxy-Boost"

This is the sort of marketing I call "selling into a market of ignorance". But admittedly that's where the profits are :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:53   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

remember that bleach hurts stainless and welds and the pumps. i use vinegar because it doesnt screw welds of my tanks and it doesnt wear out my bilge pumps as does clorox. oops .....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:15   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post

"Oxy-Boost" is merely sodium perchlorate with marketing added. Intrinsically less effective for the purpose under consideration than "household bleach"

• organic
  • biodegradable
  • non-toxic
  • fragrance free
  • dye free
  • sulfate free
  • phosphate free
  • soy free
  • dairy free
  • gluten free
Well - of course it is! This sort of marketing fluff should be a big red flag that somebody is after your money. Soy free??? Dairy free??? Gluten free??? I should think so! Sodium perchlorate DESTROYS such organic matter. That's why we use it for cleaning!

For the present purpose you'll get just as much cleaning power from a three-dollar bottle of household bleach as you'll get from a fifty-dollar bucket of "Oxy-Boost"

This is the sort of marketing I call "selling into a market of ignorance". But admittedly that's where the profits are :-)!

TrentePieds
LOL , I agree the advertising is ridiculous. I hadn't read them. Gluten free hahaha hahaha.

But it won't kill the plants around my deck, I won't have to wear a respirator to work with it, and it's generally safer for the environment, unlike bleach. Like I said, it was recommended to me by an acquaintance that runs a deck cleaning/house cleaning/roof cleaning business. The $44 dolars I spent was for 20lbs. Of the stuff. It can be purchase in smaller quantities for much cheaper. But still, you're correct, it's more expensive than bleach. Maybe I am ignorant. I'll find out how well it works and I'll report back.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:47   #22

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Thanks for all tips! We got in the boat at 4 am local. We spent the first few hours of the day purging, but not much cleaning. There is quite a bit to sort and dispose of, so mostly we are wading through piles and
disposing of excess. The po had spares of spares. I think the water line will be higher now, even after we add back our own stuff.
It's a crazy ritual! We are basically trading "old dirt" for our own "new dirt".
What did George Carlin say? "Their crap is crap, but your crap is stuff..." something like that anyway.

With no ac on the boat we Colorado folk are challenged in the moderate heat. It's slow going. Thankfully I'm more heat resistant than Jim. I can work down below without too much trrouble. He gets the lazarettes and breezes under the bimini. Two times the results I hope : )

Z, I buy vinegar by the gallon at home. I was just reading the vinegar and baking soda should remove the grease on the wood. I dont know why I didn't think of it, I use the same concoction to clean my oven.
It's a suggestion and I will give it a try.

By the by, we have started calling our boat "the Tardis" and I think Jim mumbled "Hermione's magic bag" once or twice. Those lockers and lazarettes are deep!

Siesta then more
Old 11-10-2016, 12:53   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post

• organic
  • biodegradable
  • non-toxic
  • fragrance free
  • dye free
  • sulfate free
  • phosphate free
  • soy free
  • dairy free
  • gluten free

TrentePieds
I would not chose it unless it is also free range. Those stock room cubbyholes can be pretty confining.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 13:13   #24

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
I would not chose it unless it is also free range. Those stock room cubbyholes can be pretty confining.
You forgot "Dolphin safe and ivory free"
Old 11-10-2016, 13:33   #25

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sea Dreaming, you asked about paint. I don't know a whole lot about paint, and I know there are those who think all paint in a boat should be two pack marine paint, but I don't think that way. We used easy clean up, no deadly solvents, white latex paint when we re-painted out lockers on our first Insatiable, and it's certainly easy to re-do, if they get scuffed. Generally speaking, if it's gelcoat, one uses "Flo-Coat", like in the bilges, but just plain paint seemed okay on the wood in the lockers in that boat. For that, scrape away the flakes with your carbide tipped scraper (there will be many uses for it in the future). Sand to "okay"--it's the inside of a locker, not a museum piece--wash with soap and water, then rinse (to remove detergent residue), let dry. Can wipe again, with methylated spirits, methyl alcohol, or acetone, which won't leave a residue, and paint. You'll perfect your prep with practice, so start with the worst locker first, and all the rest will be easier.
Old 11-10-2016, 13:35   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Like zeehag, I find the essential oils good for upkeep (after all the hard work is done). I mix a few drops of tea tree oil, a few drops of jasmine oil, some vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Since you're oiling an oil based finish there's not much sign of the spray, just a clean scent. A couple drops of jasmine oil down the sink drain makes a huge difference. A female friend onboard commented "your bathroom smells really nice". Of course I said, "it's called a head, now get off my boat!"

goats got no patience.

Sent from a boat somewhere
I take it that the comment and resultant command to remove herself from the boat was morning time?
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 14:19   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
You forgot "Dolphin safe and ivory free"
That goes without saying. I'm down with the times.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 14:54   #28

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
I take it that the comment and resultant command to remove herself from the boat was morning time?
You're a bad man, uncle stinkybob.

[URL]https://youtu.be/KiIP_KDQmXs/[URL]

goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 15:47   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
You're a bad man, uncle stinkybob.

[URL]https://youtu.be/KiIP_KDQmXs/[URL]

They dont call me stinkbob for nothing!
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 19:50   #30

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Kilz works and I've been trying to determine why the oil based Kilz wouldn't be a good bilge paint, or at least for lazarette, anchor chain locker etc?
I have painted ceilings in a house with the water based Kilz, made any water stains etc real easy to cover and match color.

My wife does all our house painting.
She swears by Kilz for the white exterior trim.

And no, I'm not going anywhere near of those jokes, "Honey, while you come to a good stopping point, will you grab me a beer from the fridge, the game's going on."
After 46 years of marriage, we watch the Seattle Seahawks TOGETHER !

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, teak