Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2022, 16:23   #1

Flat paint for swim platform?

I finally repaired some damage to my swim platform thats been there since I bought it. So now i need to paint it.

I'm unsure of what paint to use? The platform has those big non skid pyramids on it. And it did not previously have any non skid paint. So I don't think I need to be adding any more non skid texture. But I got 1 thin coat on with some left over gloss enamel and started fearing that was adding slipperyness.

My deck has the same pyramid pattern and there is a paint on it that has the texture of about 400 grit sandpaper. Anybody have an idea what that could be?

Whatever it is, it needs to really stick and be durable because my platform gets slime on it periodically from constant splashing, which requires aggressive cleaning to remove.

I've tried searching for "flat white topside paint", but it apparently is not a common product.

Any advise?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220823_202846.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	263595   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220828_191927.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	263596  

SKMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 17:07   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Flat paint for swim platform?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMT View Post
I finally repaired some damage to my swim platform thats been there since I bought it. So now i need to paint it.

I'm unsure of what paint to use? The platform has those big non skid pyramids on it. And it did not previously have any non skid paint. So I don't think I need to be adding any more non skid texture. But I got 1 thin coat on with some left over gloss enamel and started fearing that was adding slipperyness.

My deck has the same pyramid pattern and there is a paint on it that has the texture of about 400 grit sandpaper. Anybody have an idea what that could be?

Whatever it is, it needs to really stick and be durable because my platform gets slime on it periodically from constant splashing, which requires aggressive cleaning to remove.

I've tried searching for "flat white topside paint", but it apparently is not a common product.

Any advise?
We use a two part polyurethane paint which we bought at a paint store. It is not sold as a marine product. We added Interlux Griptex to it, stirred it in after adding the reacter and solvent. You can also use aluminum oxide in powder form. We rolled it. If you are interested I can look up the ratios. We used it on the deck of our race boat. It gets hella abuse. After three years it is still in excellent shape, and eyeblinding white when clean and durable as hell. We've painter our decks several times over the years, done lots of sanding. but this paint is the best.

In Mexico, Sayer, Poliuretano 2K, they add tint to match your color.
Old 06-10-2022, 19:57   #3

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: Flat paint for swim platform?

Like Wingsail said. You can even get a mould of your original non slip pattern
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint