Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2021, 10:57   #31

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Flexible, plastic, black, 1 1/8” trim material??

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
An U channel won’t go through the corners without the sides bending out and away from the bulkhead. It is the same length as the back of the trim and won’t stretch to become longer in the corners.

This is why all the options I bring forwards are a flat material that will allow itself to be shaped in the opening when thin enough.

Sure it does. The trim is everywhere. It just needs to be thicker for my application.

Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 11:41   #32
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Sure it does. The trim is everywhere. It just needs to be thicker for my application.

Whoa, that is not the U-channel you posted before. This is a flexible, vinyl or rubber trim. It only comes in small sizes.

The picture you posted before looked like it even had an aluminum core with plastic covering.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 11:44   #33

Quote:
Whoa, that is not the U-channel you posted before. This is a flexible, vinyl or rubber trim. It only comes in small sizes.

The picture you posted before looked like it even had an aluminum core with plastic covering.
Well, that’s what it’s called when you see it online. I’m just going off what the vendors call it. It’s called u channel trim on their websites

It’s used around some car doors too. The aluminum in the original is a cross section so there are millions of tiny aluminum “staples” inside that particular one.

I don’t need the metal reinforcements at all. So any type would do.

They’re cheating in this picture I think since they aren’t bending it the hard way, but still. The stuff is ubiquitous. And unfortunately, hard to find in 1 1/16, 1 1/4” sizes
Old 15-01-2021, 11:49   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well, that’s what it’s called when you see it online. I’m just going off what the vendors call it. It’s called u channel trim on their websites
You never posted that picture before. Attached is your OP with picture. This is what I addressed as having a metal core and not being able to bend into your corners.

Feel free to now post the rubber trim, which is made for sheet metal and thin fiberglass and which will go around corners. I haven’t seen that for anything thicker than 3/16” or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	502B18D4-FE7A-450A-9327-44AC023B0FA0.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	230447  

Old 15-01-2021, 11:59   #35

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

For "blind" openings (those you only see one surface) in thicker panels (you mentioned 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick) you could use a router to relieve the backside and use a more readily available trim.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 15:23   #36

Quote:
You never posted that picture before. Attached is your OP with picture. This is what I addressed as having a metal core and not being able to bend into your corners.

Feel free to now post the rubber trim, which is made for sheet metal and thin fiberglass and which will go around corners. I haven’t seen that for anything thicker than 3/16” or so.
Those metal cores absolutely can bend into the corners. They are like a million “staples” inside the flexible trim. They are made to take corners.

Thanks for your input. I guess you haven’t really seen much of the stuff at all. You haven’t even seen more than 3/16 on rubber trim? And you don’t understand how the other stuff works? OK. Thank you for posting on the thread. I appreciate the help, but it looks like you just haven’t used this stuff or looked at it in detail before.

Thanks for giving it a shot though. Brainstorming is what it’s all about.

Here’s how the one from the beginning of the thread actually works, FYI.

Old 15-01-2021, 15:24   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
For "blind" openings (those you only see one surface) in thicker panels (you mentioned 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick) you could use a router to relieve the backside and use a more readily available trim.
It’s a cool idea and I think it would work for wood, but I don’t think it’s going to work for a foam core panel. It’s going to take away half of that panel on the back. And I don’t think the strength will be there anymore. It would be prone to getting destroyed when I hit it with some heavy object.
Old 15-01-2021, 16:07   #38

Boat: Bateau FS17

https://www.outwater.com/products/zz-114/ Should work well on straight edges, but not rounded corners, sharp corners could be done very nicely thought.

By googling 30mm pvc channel I found this,
No.15 Large Edge Trim 30mm W * 21mm H | Edge Trim Large U Channel

If you only need the L for where you can see,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/UPVC-WOOD-E...-/281750295730
Narfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 16:13   #39

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus

You could rout a slot in the thickness of the panel, and use T section trim?
Old 15-01-2021, 16:33   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfi View Post
https://www.outwater.com/products/zz-114/ Should work well on straight edges, but not rounded corners, sharp corners could be done very nicely thought.

By googling 30mm pvc channel I found this,
No.15 Large Edge Trim 30mm W * 21mm H | Edge Trim Large U Channel

If you only need the L for where you can see,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/UPVC-WOOD-E...-/281750295730

You found it!!!!!!!

Why is the stuff I need always readily available OUTSIDE the USA but not inside?? Happens constantly.

That BingAU U channel is it. Exactly. If I could figure out how to source that it would be perfect. Comes in all the sizes too.

Some had suggested (and I think it could be worth a shot if flexible isn’t available) to heat bend harder pvc ones into the corners. All my corners are proper boat rounded unfortunately. None are square.

We’re getting there...

I wrote to Bing AU to see if they have a reseller here.

Note: the out water link is one I called about. They are the ones that have ridiculous production runs you have to buy for that product
Old 15-01-2021, 18:43   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Those metal cores absolutely can bend into the corners. They are like a million “staples” inside the flexible trim. They are made to take corners.

Thanks for your input. I guess you haven’t really seen much of the stuff at all. You haven’t even seen more than 3/16 on rubber trim? And you don’t understand how the other stuff works? OK. Thank you for posting on the thread. I appreciate the help, but it looks like you just haven’t used this stuff or looked at it in detail before.

Thanks for giving it a shot though. Brainstorming is what it’s all about.

Here’s how the one from the beginning of the thread actually works, FYI.

It won’t. It will make the turns on that acrylic in the picture just fine, but not the inside bends in the radius of your panels with the dimensions of the trim shown. The picture where it does make those turns... I don’t think it has a metal core and I have used exactly that on 1/8” thick aluminum; it can make any bend as it’s very flexible rubber, almost like elastic. Same as grommets. For me, it shrank over time which was a fail.

Old 16-01-2021, 14:51   #42

Quote:
It won’t. It will make the turns on that acrylic in the picture just fine, but not the inside bends in the radius of your panels with the dimensions of the trim shown. The picture where it does make those turns... I don’t think it has a metal core and I have used exactly that on 1/8” thick aluminum; it can make any bend as it’s very flexible rubber, almost like elastic. Same as grommets. For me, it shrank over time which was a fail.
So heat forming pvc then into the corners?
Old 16-01-2021, 18:49   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
So heat forming pvc then into the corners?
Can’t see that succeed. If you want it to go over the edge to the front side then the way that is done is using four corner pieces plus four straight pieces in between. Glue with CA glue, then into the opening with gap filling adhesive.

Corner pieces come with matching straight trim. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/SeaTeak-60836.../dp/B0042A0GH6

Old 18-01-2021, 15:23   #44

Quote:
Can’t see that succeed. If you want it to go over the edge to the front side then the way that is done is using four corner pieces plus four straight pieces in between. Glue with CA glue, then into the opening with gap filling adhesive.

Corner pieces come with matching straight trim. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/SeaTeak-60836.../dp/B0042A0GH6
Legitimate question.

The pipe insulation can be done with one seam and looks better. Why does the pipe insulation work and a similar type of trim won’t?

This is pipe insulation installed as trim on my boat. Actually, hardly installed. Just pressed into place and staying fine. No adhesive, nothing.

That little odd shape at the corner is what you’re getting at earlier?
Old 19-01-2021, 06:48   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Legitimate question.

The pipe insulation can be done with one seam and looks better. Why does the pipe insulation work and a similar type of trim won’t?

This is pipe insulation installed as trim on my boat. Actually, hardly installed. Just pressed into place and staying fine. No adhesive, nothing.

That little odd shape at the corner is what you’re getting at earlier?
The pipe insulation takes the shape because it is made out of foam and has a very high compression factor.

The reason you don’t find the product you’re looking for is that it doesn’t exist. What works, like the pipe insulation, is simply not durable enough: it would rip off when using the space, pulling stuff out or putting it in continuously. It would also deteriorate quickly and look bad.

This is why all carpenters use the trim that I linked to above. Most will fabricate it themselves as all you need is a table-saw, bandsaw and router table, allowing any custom radius, thickness, material etc.
Look at pictures of boat interiors: they will have that kind of trim or, when using high quality plywood like Baltic birch or exotic Bruynzeel, use a roundover bit on the openings showing the plies as a decorative feature.