Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2020, 09:45   #1

Floor boards very tight

My wooden floor boards on my Tartan 37 are way too tight to get access to the bilge. One comes out easily but the other two are difficult to remove. I can pull one stuck one up by hand and the other I need to use a small crow bar to get it out. Getting them back in is impossible without using a soft hammer to reseat them. Then it is the same dance again when you try to remove them. I used to be able to get them to reseat using my body weight, but it seems to be getting worse.

I'm debating on sanding the edges of the boards down a bit, but we are in a very humid place right now so I believe the wood has swollen making things even tighter.

There is usually a small amount of water in our bilge sump from the anchor locker draining into the bilge.

Any suggestions? If I sand the edges should I reseal them?
felizcortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:53   #2

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40
Re: Floor boards very tight

Sand (using a backing block to avoid rounding too much) or plane to a comfortable relief angle (10 - 20 degrees) leaving the surface 1/4-inch untouched. The floor should almost go in easily. Then you can carefully trim that last 1/4 inch to fit. This approach helps avoid taking to much off.

PS: Yes, seal when done
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:55   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Sand or plane them down so they just fit. We built our boat in Semi Arid SoCal and daysailed only before leaving for SoPac. Found out about 2/3rd of the way to the Marquesas that our floor boards had swelled in place. No big thing except our water tanks were underneath and we had only 40 gallons of water in the tank we were using. Had to sail to the dry side of the Island before they shrunk enough to pull up.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 16:27   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by felizcortez View Post
My wooden floor boards on my Tartan 37 are way too tight to get access to the bilge. One comes out easily but the other two are difficult to remove. I can pull one stuck one up by hand and the other I need to use a small crow bar to get it out. Getting them back in is impossible without using a soft hammer to reseat them. Then it is the same dance again when you try to remove them. I used to be able to get them to reseat using my body weight, but it seems to be getting worse.

I'm debating on sanding the edges of the boards down a bit, but we are in a very humid place right now so I believe the wood has swollen making things even tighter.

There is usually a small amount of water in our bilge sump from the anchor locker draining into the bilge.

Wait till you get somewhere dryer. If you make them fit now, while they are swollen, the subsequent gaps will allow all the normal dust and dirt to go into your bilge, where, if you don't keep that clean, it will wreck the bilge pump.
It will help if you can keep the bilge dryer, by bailing the bilge after the water has drained in. Or, create holes to drain the anchor locker out to the side of the boat, and don't let it drain into the bilge any more. Where does the stuffing box drain to? If it goes to the bilge, or the fridge does, it will never be dry.

One thing I found that helped with tight cabin sole boards was to wax the edges with paste wax. It may not help if yours are too tight, but I'd give it a try, anyhow.

If you do have to sand them down, yes, seal the edges with epoxy, and wax them, you really do want a snug fit, just not too snug.

Our timber always shrinks with low humidity and then expands when it is high. It is normal behavior for wood.

Ann
Old 03-05-2020, 17:28   #5
rbk

Boat: T37

What Anne said. Go for a good long motor and let them dry first before taking them down. Also be careful planning them as quite a few are nailed and glued and you will ruin your planner blade. As said they should be tight but not fall out.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 18:24   #6

Boat: 44ft mono hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

If you do have to sand them down, yes, seal the edges with epoxy, and wax them, you really do want a snug fit, just not too snug.

Ann
Ive just been through this process, and Im interested in why you suggest sealing the edges with epoxy. I was just going to varnish the edges when I revarnish the whole floor.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:43   #7

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
Ive just been through this process, and Im interested in why you suggest sealing the edges with epoxy. I was just going to varnish the edges when I revarnish the whole floor.

I believe it's to protect them from moisture - more than just varnish would. Epoxy being more permanent.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:03   #8

Boat: Lord Nelson 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by felizcortez View Post

My floor boards are difficult as yours when afloat.
On the hard they relieve easily.
I considered doing the same to make them easier to remove afloat.
The advice I receives was do not...in rough weather you do not
Want them releasing and flying around.
Telemark43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:07   #9

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark43 View Post
My floor boards are difficult as yours when afloat.
On the hard they relieve easily.
I considered doing the same to make them easier to remove afloat.
The advice I receives was do not...in rough weather you do not
Want them releasing and flying around.

I have the opposite issue - loose floorboards. I've found that a dime sized tab of butyl tape, under the corners of the floorboards, really seems to fix the problem. More than a dime sized tab however - you might need a crowbar.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:41   #10

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

Hi

Possibly the floors fitted when on the hard in a cradle or on blocks; now you have your true hullshape which might be why you have the tightness. Detailed work with a strong light...

John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 20:09   #11

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
You will find a thin epoxy will penetrate and seal better. Varnish is very soft by comparison, unless you use 2 pack in which case it is vulnerable to chipping.

Strictly speaking, we should fasten all boards down before a passage, some can be semi-permenantly screwed but others need some sort of clamp. We used to use the Dzeus fasteners, 1/4 turn with a coin, but never found them in stainless. I did hear of nylon versions once, but never found them.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 22:34   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:

Hi, Olly,

Because most floor boards are a think teak and holly veneer on plywood. If you plane the sides, and they are tapered where they intersect the hull, you have a lot of wide open grain. Usually sand gets tracked in and sands off the varnish on the underside. If you use penetrating epoxy to seal the open grains of the plywood, it will keep out moisture so that the thin edges do not warp when water gets in.

Ann
Old 07-05-2020, 22:39   #13

Boat: 44ft mono hull

Thay makes sense, I'll whip up a bit of the good stuff
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:10   #14

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

Hi

Stainless and other material Dzus fasteners
https://www.southco.com/en-us/produc....html?hid=7345

John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:53   #15

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djarraluda View Post
You will find a thin epoxy will penetrate and seal better. Varnish is very soft by comparison, unless you use 2 pack in which case it is vulnerable to chipping.

Strictly speaking, we should fasten all boards down before a passage, some can be semi-permenantly screwed but others need some sort of clamp. We used to use the Dzeus fasteners, 1/4 turn with a coin, but never found them in stainless. I did hear of nylon versions once, but never found them.
Roger
No affiliation but saw these the other day- https://www.pyiinc.com/floor-anchors.html
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote