Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2019, 01:07   #16

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: floors - polyurethane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
I'm not sure what would be available in the country you're in, sorry...
Well, I do have Kiwigrip.

I’m pretty sure we could look at the oil you use and translated over to a product in any country. They are pretty much the same thing. Just different manufacturers. Polyurethane in New Zealand is polyurethane in the states. Is polyurethane in the European union.

There are a dizzying number of oils on the market. Any example of a good wine would be greatly appreciated so I could learn the difference between good oil and bad oil. Just naming the one that you used is good. That way we could all figure out which oil is best. I liked the idea of the oil. It just didn’t work well, apparently because it was tung oil.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 19:28   #17

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

I've been thinking a lot about this as I am doing a refinishing project of my own. And have been doing research. If it were me, I would sand, and varnish. If you varnish, you will need several coats, but you can do it in sections. Start with a 50/50 mix of Varnish and mineral spirits so that it penetrates well... and change the ratio to 75/50, then 100%. Varnish is hard, and VERY waterproof. So, if you spill water, or have a bilge back up, your floor will be protected. You will need to sand... vacuum up the dust, and wipe down with naptha, or mineral spirits to make sure you don't seal dust into the varnish. But, since it is high traffic... and needs to hold up to water.. this really should be the best finish. I think the floor will be beautiful.
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 22:26   #18

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

After tons of research, we settled on Daly's Profin. We use Perfection quite a bit, as well as Awlwood. For years we used Minwax. Each has its place.

Daly's Profin is what Hunter used for many years, until they quit putting wood floors in. It held up amazingly well. It's insanely easy to apply, you can "hot coat it" (sand before the last coat), and most importantly, it doesn't slip when wet. When your floors start to wear, a quick sand and reapply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8494.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	199982  
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 22:48   #19

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew23 View Post
hey all,

I want to sand and paint my cabin sole - see attached photo. what products do you recommend?

any worries about slipperyness?
How thick is the veneer on your floor? Its going to be a pain to sand with the grain going in every direction and if its thin then it will require some very careful work.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:45   #20

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
How thick is the veneer on your floor? Its going to be a pain to sand with the grain going in every direction and if its thin then it will require some very careful work.
the "veneer" is somewhere around a 1/4" thick, the boat is from 1968.

Tags
polyurethane