Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2018, 14:20   #1

flybridge hard top

HI....new to Cruisers Forum so hope this is the right place to be. Buying a boat that to be livable for me it needs extensive shade. I see this as a hard top over the flybrige and area aft of the flybridge...it would also accommodate solar panels that will be added. I am told that what I need to have done between the fiberglass and stainless work is going to be in the area of $25K. The boat is in FL. I have been told that there are several shipyards on the east (Gulf) coast of Mexico that do this kind of work. Having had similar work done at west coast Mexico yards I know the savings are considerable. And I would think with all the mega yachts in the FLL area they must go somewhere relatively accessible (ie: east coast Mexico) to get this work done. Any suggestions as to ship yards on Mexico's east coast??. Many thanks in advance for any guidance.!!
bound4bvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 14:57   #2

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’
Re: flybridge hard top

I wonder if you wouldn't get a better response over at the Trawler Forum. Not too many flybridges here.... However I would suspect that the megayachts in FTL would get that sort of work done in-state and probably not too far from their homeport. It would be too much trouble and fuel to cross the Gulf for a tiny savings. $25k is almost a rounding error for those guys: you can't even hire a decent steward for that kind of money, much less a cook or Mate.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 15:06   #3

Boat: Colegate 26

I'm curious about a hard bimini and possibly hard dodger for a side helmstation sailing catamaran. I look forward to seeing what others have to say about this topic.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 15:08   #4

I got a quote for a hard top flybridge as a DIY - kit $13k at Dedicated Marine Florida. Solar panel frame aft of the traveler can be self fabricated too. If you want to pay someone to install it then double it I guess.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 18:36   #5

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
I'm curious about a hard bimini and possibly hard dodger for a side helmstation sailing catamaran. I look forward to seeing what others have to say about this topic.

Same here for our Outremer, though we don’t need a helm dodger. I’ve contacted Dedicated Marine in Florida to see what they can offer, as all local quotes have been very expensive.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 06:59   #6

thanks very much for the responses......
bound4bvi is offline   Reply With Quote